Jasmine: first model shoot

Newnan3

Mu-43 Regular
Critique and Criticism Welcome.

I shot this girl today with a GF1 with the 20mm & the 14-140mm. Lighting was off camera triggered by cybersyncs.

I cant remember which lense I used for which shots so dont ask.....:tongue:

P1020732.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 145499

P1020806.jpg

P1020808.jpg

Newnan3

Mu-43 Regular
P1020742B-1.jpg

P1020826.jpg

P1020780A.jpg

cosinaphile

Mu-43 All-Pro
she is lovely , but for the type of shots your after id suggest makeup on the model, and longer sessions , or something to relax her so that deer in the headlights expression can be diminished, also vary your locations.... try a cross process look??... keep at it.... and this is all mho of course .........the b&w is the strongest i think

cheers

cosinaphile

Mu-43 All-Pro
it apost process funky color alternative to correct color balance "normal film , of course with digital its simulated, but back in the day it was film of one type processes in chemicals intended for another type of film

perhaps someone can suggesta way to do it in software , i know its done but not how

landshark

Mu-43 Veteran
The main thing for is you need to get her to relax, try more casual atmosphere maybe shooting outside would help. Keep shooting only way to get better

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason
she is lovely , but for the type of shots your after id suggest makeup on the model, and longer sessions , or something to relax her so that deer in the headlights expression can be diminished, also vary your locations.... try a cross process look??... keep at it.... and this is all mho of course .........the b&w is the strongest i think

cheers

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought "deer in headlights".

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
So far the only image that works is #1....
It's like your photographing an object not a person. I would spend time with her and try to get more of a personal feeling going on. The guys are right with the Deer thing.
Stop thinking it's a MODEL SHOOT and start thinking about making photos of JASMINE...

The reason she has that deer look is because she doesn't know how to pose or what your expectations are. So, make a more personal 1 on 1 approach and she will feel more at ease because then you both share a shared expectation....

keep posting so we can monitor your progress...
Shooter

Iconindustries

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Aussie slang would be 'stunned mullet'. I think she's trying to hard and needs to be just herself. I would imagine Jasmine's personality is not what is portrayed. Although i've never done a model shoot before so I could easily have the same trouble trying to ease the model and let them relax.

You've got the lighting right and the colours are good. I'd love to see if you could try it again with Jasmine more relaxed. I think you'd have a winner then.

It's a hard thing to know what to do with the hands aye. Shooter might have some tips on good hand positions that bring across a fluid eye movement over the picture.

Please remember newnan3 that this is just my opinion. It always easier for others to suggest things about other people's work. But i give you credit for actually going out there and trying it.

icon

kevinparis

Cantankerous Scotsman
I was recently photographed by a pro for something - it was a studio situation, but i did note a couple of things in his technique that were nothing to do with taking the photo and everything to do with making me relax and loosen up

1) he had a boom box playing uptempo music

2) He was constantly talking to me , asking questions, telling me to say things - often silly things , sometimes in french,

3) He changed poses often, made me point at things, make hand movements

in other words he worked hard at keeping me active, occupied and interacting with him - the act of pressing the shutter was only a small part of the exercise

cheers

K

BillN

Mu-43 All-Pro
No 2 in the first posting is not flattering to the model - too many chocolates!

No 4 is a bit strange

don't you recon that you should stick to an established format in these type of shots rather than cropping at will?

BillN

Mu-43 All-Pro
That is harsh, it is a real good looking girl.. Nice to see a model with something that looks like a belly too.

I like # 1 :thumbup:

I am not saying she is fat - it is the way that she is standing - not flattering

Had I thought that she was fat I would have said so

Caroline

Mu-43 Regular
I agree the first shot is the best one of this set, though I really like the "diagonal" one as well, it looks so different and eyecatching. Being camera-shy myself I can quite understand a model feeling nervous especially with someone not used to taking these sorts of shots, so it's really interesting to hear the tips that the others give about making someone feel at ease, as I too (as a photographer) don't have a clue how to do that. My people photos generally come out awful as a result!

Having said that I'm not sure I'd agree with the person who said she needed more makeup - one thing I really hate is photos of women caked with "slap", that just makes them look like painted dolls to me. I far prefer the natural look to the overly made up one!

Caroline

landshark

Mu-43 Veteran
I would agree more make-up is wrong but more skilfully applied make-up would help.
Just remember you are not shooting a "model", you are shooting a person, what you want to do is attempt to capture their personality.

cosinaphile

Mu-43 All-Pro
I agree the first shot is the best one of this set, though I really like the "diagonal" one as well, it looks so different and eyecatching. Being camera-shy myself I can quite understand a model feeling nervous especially with someone not used to taking these sorts of shots, so it's really interesting to hear the tips that the others give about making someone feel at ease, as I too (as a photographer) don't have a clue how to do that. My people photos generally come out awful as a result!

Having said that I'm not sure I'd agree with the person who said she needed more makeup - one thing I really hate is photos of women caked with "slap", that just makes them look like painted dolls to me. I far prefer the natural look to the overly made up one!

Caroline

Caroline , Im no fan of too much makeup, but for what this shooters seemed to be after , i found the shine on the skin to be distracting and lessens the success of the effort overall , i dont mean caking it up just some specific work and targeting to kill the shine,

this was a small part of my critique, certainly the most important thing is getting a more natural look and comfort level going and the shooter varying the approach and location and shooting parameters to see where real improvement lay

the shooter is in any event on solid ground wishing to grow and improve the work... a refined ego that welcome criticism leading to personal growth is the best asset of all

cstevens

Mu-43 Veteran
Firstly I agree - Makeup - makes a shoot, its simple, but not a traditional womans makeup, it must be makeup for the look and for photography.

I have to sort of disagree with the 2nd point - the thread is "Model Shoot" a model is a live vessel in which to advertise a product, be it clothes, makeup whatever. Yes she is a person, and a profession model's personality should shine through, but she is a model when photographed.

If you shoot the person, then this is a portrait and not a model....I know there is a fine line, but shoots like this are not really model shoots, whilst she is a good looking girl, its clear she has little modeling experince.

When working with a girl like this, you must constantly micro direct her, laugh and joke with her, make her feel at ease OR you will get stiff scared poses. When you work with a professional model, you SHOULD still be micro managing, but you are free to let the model do her thing to an extent, but the Client and the Photographer are always expected to be the ones in control, not the model.

From this 1st shoot to your 4th, there is improvement, but then the 4th model looks a LOT more at ease with you!

I would agree more make-up is wrong but more skilfully applied make-up would help.
Just remember you are not shooting a "model", you are shooting a person, what you want to do is attempt to capture their personality.

cstevens

Mu-43 Veteran
Just seen your flickr link - nice to see all the photos in one place, because some of the photos on your flickr page are better than the ones posted here.

Here is a killer tip for you get on your knees! There are a number of shots that if you where simply lower would have worked better, the model would have appeared taller, and you can always joke about being on your knees which is an ice breaker.

The model in P1030454 is a LOT more confident with you, in this shot why didnt you just shoot her flat up against the wall, this would have worked well!.

The model in P1030364 also, nearly works, just needed a bit of managing that pose to get her into a more classical sensual look which would have worked well in that environment.

Also P1020743XC, she looks a lot more relaxed (better than the one holding the banister) if you could have mangaged her hands a bit and your own position and composition, you would have had a great shot there.

Your doing well, and there is enough experince on this forum to keep pushing you to do better :) Keep it up!

Latest threads

Top Bottom