Japanese Umbrella festival (image heavy)

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by monchan, Aug 22, 2012.

1. monchan

monchan Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 7, 2012
    Tottori City, Japan
    This is from a umbrella festival from my city (tottori) it`s the largest umbrella
    dance in Japan. hundreds of people dance up the main street in the heat, for about 3+ hours. I took some snaps of some of the food too.
    I know my shots are not beautiful or crisp, still learning that part. I just wanted to share this festival.
    enjoy[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 23
  2. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    First time I see this ... thanks for sharing !
    C U,
  3. Uwharrie

Uwharrie Mu-43 Veteran

May 10, 2012
    North Carolina
    Lynne Ezzell
    Octopus on a stick? Certainly not street food we would see around here.

Great images BTW!
  4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    You had a number of fine shots here - thanks for sharing the festival with us! Very interesting. :smile:
  5. monchan

monchan Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 7, 2012
    Tottori City, Japan
    Thanks for the comments.
    If you ever come to Japan and go to some kind of festival. You have to try
    the Mikan-ame, thats the mandarine on a stick covered in a sugary, syrupy toffee apple
    like goodness/ badness depending where you stand on the scales. They are so good.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. dbrantley13

dbrantley13 Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2012
    Third image down on the left side of the man waving the white flag is as incredible as incredible gets to me. I love it.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. rcky

rcky Mu-43 Regular

Apr 6, 2011
    Washington state
    Thanks for the photos - I'm feeling hungry now :smile:
    Those mikan-ame look really good!
  8. monchan

monchan Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 7, 2012
    Tottori City, Japan
    Yeah that`s my favourite shot too. I took a few of him but alas that was the only one that I got of him in focus and showing his face. I wish I had a wider lens to show the size of that flag, I couldnt back up any more. it was really very big.
  9. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    Very cool. I like all the foods in the picture :) I can only imagine how they taste, but they look brilliant :)
  10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Some really great stuff here - thanks for sharing! :smile:
  11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    That's awesome! I wish I could be there... <3
  12. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Thanks for sharing photos of the event--I have never seen anything like it, looks spectacular. My favorite photo is number 5---I really like the way the flag waver becomes the point of focus through the contrast in color (black shirt vs. colored shirts of others in the parade line) and motion---or lack thereof--vs. the blurred white flag. Well done!
  13. dennisk

dennisk Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2011
    Bay Area, California
    Thank you for sharing your photos, monchan! What was your camera gear used to take these pictures?
  14. monchan

monchan Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 7, 2012
    Tottori City, Japan
    EM-5 and I mostly used the oly 45mm, I did use my kit 14-42 too that day,
    But I dont think any of those shots turned out well.

I was looking after my twins that day and couldn`t walk around freely, really wish I could have.

rice harvest will start soon
    then koryu (fall leaves/ colours)
    then in Nov. there is a fire walking festival in the mountains at a 1200year old shrine. I`ve only ever taken a P&S camera to that and those were pretty good. looking forward to seeing what this camera can do. that fire walking festival is something to see. I`ve walked it twice. burnt my leg hairs.

Japan is great and I`m in the sticks