1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Japanese Knives (shot on Blackmagic pocket)

Discussion in 'Video to Share' started by namco, Feb 19, 2014.

1. namco

namco Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 1, 2012
    Check out my new video shot with Blackmagic pocket and 14-45 kit lens.

[video=vimeo;87143187]http://vimeo.com/87143187[/video]

Echizen is an area within Fukui Prefecture and is rich in tradition and arts. It is popular for its laquerware and traditional paper, along with the Echizen crab and of course it's transitional hand made knives.
    I had the chance to visit a company that makes these knives in December 2013.
    I was only there for a few short hours with the intention of coming back to complete the shoot another day but never got the chance to. So here's an edit of what I got on my initial shoot. I'm aware that the following sequences may not be in the correct order, this was purely just something i put together to showcase the skills involved.

• Like Like x 9
  2. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Nice. Enjoyed that immensely.

• Like Like x 1
  3. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Very well done. Once again the footage coming from this camera looks great. Interesting that you used a kit lens. Did you do any lighting or was it all shot with available light only?

• Like Like x 1
  4. namco

namco Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 1, 2012
    Thanks.

It was the only lens i had at the time with stabilisation.
    It was shot only with available light, also didn't have ND filter so some of the shots were f22 :(

5. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Very cool, nice video work and it's interesting to see how their process compares to what I'm familiar with.

I have a few knifemaker friends, and another friend that lives in Japan with a shared interest in forging and crafting edged tools. He's visited some knife makers there in a different area (Tosa in Kochi Prefecture I think). Funnily enough he also uses an m4/3 camera. Kinda funny seeing my hobbies overlap randomly.

Side note - I noticed nobody was wearing a respirator for the sanding and grinding... that's really great for the lungs, especially doing that full time :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I see knives from there on several of the japanese knife websites. Cool video.

• Like Like x 1
  7. namco

namco Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 1, 2012
    Ive been living in Fukui Prefecture in Japan for a few years now and the Echizen area is famous for knives. The knives at this company is sold around the world to chefs etc.
    There are other companies in this area that let people come and make their own knives but this particular company does not usually allow people to come see the process as there are allot of "secret" methods and so on.

Japan confuses me when it comes to OHS and safety in general. You can't have even have a sip of alcohol then drive but you can speed, not wear a seatbelt and the cops don't seem to care.

• Like Like x 1