Jamming

Uncle Frank

Photo Enthusiast
Real Name
Frank
I played in a jam session at a local coffee house. This guy is a brilliant guitarist and was laying down some chords I've only seen in books. His Taylor is pretty awesome, too.

FDR00942%20mr-3.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I'm just a strummer, but it was great fun.

EasyEd

Mu-43 Regular
Hey All,

Yes nice image! :2thumbs:

The more interesting question is - what chord?

I'm probably going to buy a Taylor GS Mini in the next few days! :smile:

-Ed-

Uncle Frank

Photo Enthusiast
Real Name
Frank
Great PP and tones

Thanks. I'm still refining my "home brew" approach to b&w conversion. Glad you like the result.

It does say "Taylor Guitar" on his strap there, or you'd have some explaining to do.

:biggrin: His t-shirt had Taylor branding on it too. Guess he's proud of his ax. He should be... it's a Taylor 614CE... a very nice guitar.

Nice image Uncle Frank.

Thanks, Gary. I appreciate you taking the time to comment.

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
Hey All,

-Ed-

That one looks like a basic barred F minor, but I'm sure Uncle Frank was talking about some more obscure chords than that. I have a basic cheap Taylor acoustic. Once I realized I wasn't playing enough to keep my old D28 (great guitar but it played like a stout acoustic and if you weren't PLAYING a lot, it was a tough old bird to get around on - and I wasn't), I sold it and bought a relatively cheap Taylor - it had the best feel and sound of anything in my price range at the time. I still don't play enough but the Taylor is an easier (if less rewarding) guitar to get around on, so I'm happy to have it. They make nice stuff at all levels.

-Ray

Uncle Frank

Photo Enthusiast
Real Name
Frank
Hey All,

Yes nice image! :2thumbs:

-Ed-

As others have noted, it's a pedestrian f-minor, but the guy was laying down stuff like 13ths in between finger picking the lead.

I'll give you a thumbs up on the GS Mini. It has a great voice for such a little guitar, and is great fun. I divide my playing time between a sweet Alverez Yari and a GS Mini, and the Taylor gets the most play. The factory setup was too high for me, but it's easy to adjust.

Salt Peanuts

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Haj
I really like it!

I wish I could still play a guitar. After about a year of taking lessons, I developed tendinitis in my wrists which made the whole guitar playing really painful and had to give it up. On a positive note, the said tendinitis did lead me to switching over to m43 from Nikon/Canon.

tbhv55

Mu-43 Rookie
@Ray S
Apologies - I hadn't noticed that you had already posted whilst I was still typing:redface:

@Uncle Frank
the guy was laying down stuff like 13ths in between finger picking the lead.

Yeah, sorry - I kind of assumed from what you said that he was doing more than simple chords such as F-minor... I was just answering EasyEd's question:smile:

Uncle Frank

Photo Enthusiast
Real Name
Frank
Yeah, sorry - I kind of assumed from what you said that he was doing more than simple chords such as F-minor... I was just answering EasyEd's question:smile:
Absolutely no apology necessary. You knew the answer, and it was kind of you to help out. :thumbup:

EasyEd

Mu-43 Regular
Hey All,

I actually did know the answer as well but was curious about who else here knew about guitar. If I'm not messing with my mandolin or harmonicas I normally play my Gretsch Projet through a Bugera V5 tube amp or a Crate Taxi solid state and now find that I want a travel guitar and hence the Taylor GS Mini. The big decision for me now is I can get a spruce/rosewood ltd (and ltds are hard to find) or the regular spruce/sapele or mahogany/sapele - decisions as bad as for cameras! In keeping with photography as the subject of this forum I'll have to get a pic of my gear. :thumbup:

-Ed-

yourguitarhero

Mu-43 Regular
Not the greatest pic (technically) but this is me playing a gig:

386242_10150490273850930_1704949668_n.jpg

Pic is from my GF-1 which I'd set up on a timer and did a stop motion video of a few of our gigs/practises with

Uncle Frank

Photo Enthusiast
Real Name
Frank
Hey All,

I actually did know the answer as well but was curious about who else here knew about guitar.

OK, Easy, no more easy stuff. Name this chord.

FDR00943%20mr%20.jpg

Uncle Frank

Photo Enthusiast
Real Name
Frank
That one looks like a basic barred F minor, but I'm sure Uncle Frank was talking about some more obscure chords than that. I have a basic cheap Taylor acoustic. Once I realized I wasn't playing enough to keep my old D28 (great guitar but it played like a stout acoustic and if you weren't PLAYING a lot, it was a tough old bird to get around on - and I wasn't...

I had a similar experience. I bought a d28 back in the '70s because it was the choice of the top session musicians. It was a thrill to own one, but I was just a coffee shop strummer with unrealistic aspirations. After I took on a job and a family, I played less, lost my calluses, and the Martin ate my fingers. I couldn't enjoy playing with pain, so I replaced it with a nylon string guitar, and have regretted it ever since.

mattia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Looks like an inverted D# major chord. Nothing funky except the fingering, really :)

I love a good steel string sound, don't really get along well with nylon string classicals. Not my style, and they're harder to get right. Something like a Martin size 5, parlor or 00 might be more your style - classical body style, do well with extra light strings. And/or just play a little more often.

Word to the wise, never decide building a guitar is a good idea. If you though photography was an expensive hobby, think again! Making your own instruments is incredibly rewarding, though.

Latest threads

Top Bottom