Jamming

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Uncle Frank, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Uncle Frank

Uncle Frank Photo Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Frank
    I played in a jam session at a local coffee house. This guy is a brilliant guitarist and was laying down some chords I've only seen in books. His Taylor is pretty awesome, too.

FDR00942%20mr-3.

I'm just a strummer, but it was great fun.

• Like Like x 8
  2. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    Great PP and tones

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    It does say "Taylor Guitar" on his strap there, or you'd have some explaining to do.

4. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Nice image Uncle Frank.

5. EasyEd

EasyEd Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2010
    Hey All,

Yes nice image! :2thumbs:

The more interesting question is - what chord?

I'm probably going to buy a Taylor GS Mini in the next few days! :smile:

-Ed-

6. Uncle Frank

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Frank
    Thanks. I'm still refining my "home brew" approach to b&w conversion. Glad you like the result.

:biggrin: His t-shirt had Taylor branding on it too. Guess he's proud of his ax. He should be... it's a Taylor 614CE... a very nice guitar.

Thanks, Gary. I appreciate you taking the time to comment.

7. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    That one looks like a basic barred F minor, but I'm sure Uncle Frank was talking about some more obscure chords than that. I have a basic cheap Taylor acoustic. Once I realized I wasn't playing enough to keep my old D28 (great guitar but it played like a stout acoustic and if you weren't PLAYING a lot, it was a tough old bird to get around on - and I wasn't), I sold it and bought a relatively cheap Taylor - it had the best feel and sound of anything in my price range at the time. I still don't play enough but the Taylor is an easier (if less rewarding) guitar to get around on, so I'm happy to have it. They make nice stuff at all levels.

-Ray

8. tbhv55

tbhv55 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 26, 2010
    Devon
    Looks like F-minor (barred) to me...:smile:

9. Uncle Frank

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Frank
    As others have noted, it's a pedestrian f-minor, but the guy was laying down stuff like 13ths in between finger picking the lead.

I'll give you a thumbs up on the GS Mini. It has a great voice for such a little guitar, and is great fun. I divide my playing time between a sweet Alverez Yari and a GS Mini, and the Taylor gets the most play. The factory setup was too high for me, but it's easy to adjust.

10. Salt Peanuts

Salt Peanuts Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Haj
    I really like it!

I wish I could still play a guitar. After about a year of taking lessons, I developed tendinitis in my wrists which made the whole guitar playing really painful and had to give it up. On a positive note, the said tendinitis did lead me to switching over to m43 from Nikon/Canon.

• Like Like x 1
  11. tbhv55

tbhv55 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 26, 2010
    Devon
    @Ray S
    Apologies - I hadn't noticed that you had already posted whilst I was still typing:redface:

@Uncle Frank
    Yeah, sorry - I kind of assumed from what you said that he was doing more than simple chords such as F-minor... I was just answering EasyEd's question:smile:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Uncle Frank

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Frank
    Absolutely no apology necessary. You knew the answer, and it was kind of you to help out. :thumbup:

13. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Taylor has become one of the premier names in guitars. I own a Takamini, can't afford a Taylor. :biggrin:
    Very nice photo, wish I could hear the music!

14. EasyEd

EasyEd Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2010
    Hey All,

I actually did know the answer as well but was curious about who else here knew about guitar. If I'm not messing with my mandolin or harmonicas I normally play my Gretsch Projet through a Bugera V5 tube amp or a Crate Taxi solid state and now find that I want a travel guitar and hence the Taylor GS Mini. The big decision for me now is I can get a spruce/rosewood ltd (and ltds are hard to find) or the regular spruce/sapele or mahogany/sapele - decisions as bad as for cameras! In keeping with photography as the subject of this forum I'll have to get a pic of my gear. :thumbup:

-Ed-

15. tbhv55

tbhv55 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 26, 2010
    Devon
    I rather suspected that you already knew, but I didn't want to leave the question unanswered, just in case you didn't... (if that makes any sense at all!!:confused:)

16. yourguitarhero

yourguitarhero Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2011
    Not the greatest pic (technically) but this is me playing a gig:

[​IMG]

Pic is from my GF-1 which I'd set up on a timer and did a stop motion video of a few of our gigs/practises with

• Like Like x 1
  17. Uncle Frank

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Frank
    OK, Easy, no more easy stuff. Name this chord.

FDR00943%20mr%20.

18. Uncle Frank

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Frank
    I had a similar experience. I bought a d28 back in the '70s because it was the choice of the top session musicians. It was a thrill to own one, but I was just a coffee shop strummer with unrealistic aspirations. After I took on a job and a family, I played less, lost my calluses, and the Martin ate my fingers. I couldn't enjoy playing with pain, so I replaced it with a nylon string guitar, and have regretted it ever since.

19. tbhv55

tbhv55 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 26, 2010
    Devon
    I'll go for E-flat... (never could play this chord without "buzzing" some strings:smile:)

• Like Like x 1
  20. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Looks like an inverted D# major chord. Nothing funky except the fingering, really :)

I love a good steel string sound, don't really get along well with nylon string classicals. Not my style, and they're harder to get right. Something like a Martin size 5, parlor or 00 might be more your style - classical body style, do well with extra light strings. And/or just play a little more often.

Word to the wise, never decide building a guitar is a good idea. If you though photography was an expensive hobby, think again! Making your own instruments is incredibly rewarding, though.

• Like Like x 1