James Taylor at Tanglewood, July 4, 2014

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by Aqualung, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Aqualung

Aqualung Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2013
    Central Mass
    Chris
    If any pop performer 'owns' Tanglewood (the summer home of the Boston Symphony Orchestra) it's James Taylor...he has a home nearby and as he freely admits when introducing a song, he was at the Stockbridge psychiatric treatment facility where he spent time in the late 60s recovering from drug addiction and depression. He made his annual Fourth of July appearance (review here) and my wife is a huge fan, she has always wanted to go.

Splurged on Koussevitzky Shed tickets for my wife's Xmas prez...and we lucked out w/ 7th row. I decided to bring my Oly and 12-40 into the show...as it turned out, I could have brought my full Nikon kit...despite big 'No photography/video' on the tickets, they were very photo-friendly. There was a guy a few rows closer, on the aisle who was video recording the entire show w/ his LiveView clearly showing to everyone behind him and noone stopped him.. I think if your flash was popping they would have shut you down but otherwise, no hassle.

In this flickr set there are some shots from my seats (stage left) but towards the end, we were allowed to 'rush' the stage and I was at the edge of the stage, like here:

14405428170_429a0b5e5d_o.
    James Taylor at Tanglewood
    by *Aqualung, on Flickr

Some other shots - I shot Manual, Spot metering, 3FPS, started at ISO 1600, went up and finally got to ISO 2500...Note that I didn't do NR on these in post (In-camera=Low), shot RAW.

The July 3rd show was interrupted and evacuated due to the weather, and it rained all day on the 4th until about 6:30...started to clear and the lawn was pretty full; no fireworks, however :(
    14405655247_31ef8ee829_o.
    by *Aqualung, on Flickr

Someone had yelled out 'Fire and Rain' early in the show and he was joking w/ the person...picked up the set list and pointed out that would be after the intermission...note this is a heavy crop - but you can read the sign. After all these years he still has a great rapport w/ the audience and even joked about how tough it was to be introducing the same songs every night.
    14405654957_519a04b2c7_o.
    by *Aqualung, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    by *Aqualung, on Flickr

This yellow spotlight was not my friend...
    14588778131_660beb13bf_o.
    by *Aqualung, on Flickr

Still getting used to the DOF on these bodies (meaning the high DOF)
    14612155893_37c34cac0f_o.
    by *Aqualung, on Flickr

Sax solo
    14405497479_1e3e409b99_o.
    by *Aqualung, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    by *Aqualung, on Flickr

His son Henry (left) and wife Kim (on crutches) sang backup on "You've Got a Friend"
    14405499819_0264f84556_o.
    by *Aqualung, on Flickr

James goes electric on 'Steamroller'
    14405428570_6f6dea43f7_o.
    by *Aqualung, on Flickr

• Like Like x 3
  2. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Cool! With Jimmy Johnson on bass... I figured this gig would have had "Gandalf" (aka Lee Sklar)...