1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Jamaica Part 1

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by zpierce, Apr 2, 2011.

1. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    I just returned from a week in Jamaica. It satisfied two major needs for me, first, to thaw out from this terribly long Minnesota winter, and second, to finally get some extended time again with my GH2!

I took about 1300 shots, culled it down to about 400 on the plane ride home for consideration, and am now working my way through them. As a side note, I picked up the iPad2 and camera kit and loved downloading the RAW+JPG throughout the week, and being able to spend the time sorting on the long plane rides home. What a great way to backup on the trip and reminisce and do something productive on the way home. The iPad display is gorgeous. I thought I had a decent monitor but I was disappointed to see my photos after downloading them at home after seeing them on the iPad.

I've been slowly working through all the photos and will share in a few batches.

Anyhow, this first set was taken on the beach just before, during, and after sunrise. I awoke early one morning for no good reason (poor travel sleep) and decided to make the best of it. I pulled out my new ND filter I'd bought for the trip and my tripod and headed out. I'm very happy with a number of these. They were all shot with the 14-45 with an ND4 and polarizer.

Jamaica Sunrise Ocean Set - a set on Flickr

• Like Like x 3
  2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Nice stuff Zach. We're going to be in Jamaica in a couple of weeks when my wife the teacher has spring break. I wasn't planning on bringing a full kit of camera gear - I was debating between the Nex and a couple of lenses or traveling really light and just taking the LX5. Wasn't thinking of doing a lot of photography but maybe I'll rethink. Where did you stay and can you walk pretty freely through the towns? I'm not much of a nature photographer and was afraid I wouldn't be able to get much further into the towns than the commercial areas...

-Ray

3. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Zach,

Nice stuff, you have your work cut out for you in the edit phase.

Some of the shots look like "inner universe" stuff... thanks for posting.

Alan

4. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    We went on our kids spring break as well. As such, this was mainly a beach and pool trip for us. We had the kids and mother in law in tow, so we did very little venturing out of the resort property. The couple times we did for excursions it appeared there were tons of interesting photo subjects in the small towns, but I didn't have a chance to explore with my camera. I wish I'd had more opportunity to get out in the country.

The people I met were all VERY nice, from the concierge to the guy hauling trash and everyone in between. However, I didn't get the chance to interact with many locals that weren't part of the tourism industry so I'm not sure how the average Jamaican feels about all the tourists or being photographed and if that warm attitude is pervasive. I did get the feeling that on the whole the people were genuinely very nice and that I wasn't always just getting the show for the customer. I did have a few opportunities to have some extended conversations with average Jamaicans working at the resort and they were very nice people that were very interested in our stories and very open to sharing their lives.

I would recommend bringing more than a P&S though. It was a beautiful place with hardly a bad picture to be taken no matter where you point the camera. I had a ton of fun shooting there.

5. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Thanks Zach. Sounds like more than the LX-5. The Nex at least. Maybe m43 also, but that seems to be mostly for telephoto and low light these days and the Nex handles low light well enough...

-Ray