Jackar Snapshooter- Good Value?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Artorius, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Artorius

Artorius Mu-43 Regular

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    This is the first I've heard of it, but a search reveals this review from the Phoblographer. Skimming the review, it appears that this lens is not immune from the well-worn phrase "you get what you pay for".

My guess is that you'll have better luck with the Konica 40/1.8 you already have.

3. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    These are adapted lenses originally made for CCTV. They were not designed for ultimate quality, and even though they (more or less) cover the 4/3 sensor, they were designed for smaller sensors so there's a lot of vignetting and edge and corner sharpness are marginal.

If you want a lens that gives acceptable to good center sharpness and are happy with swirly, soft and vignetted backgrounds (no judgement here, it is an interesting effect, sometimes), then it's worth it. Bokeh, to the extreme.

Think of it less as a lens and more of an effects filter, then decide if you want it.

P.

4. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
  5. BLT

BLT Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    London
    James
    Yes I agree with Fred above.

These Jackar lens are just the same as the CCTV lenses that can be found all over eBay and amazon with adapters.

You are basically paying an extra £150 for a pretty box, accessories and an adapter that has been welded on instead of screwed on. Total rip off if you ask me.

Now if they were asking 1/3rd of the price I would say well done, nice product. But it costs more than a second hand Pana 14mm or discounted Sigma 19mm / 30mm.

6. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    +1 to Fred and BLT. I have the silver version of the $30 lens which is the "Fujian 35mm" you can find a lot of photos on flickr if you search for it. It flares massively wide open under certain conditions (the whole centre of the view can go pale), but it works very well, is very smooth in operation (maybe too smooth if you're used to clicks for aperture).

Link to a 50% size pic I took with one at the weekend, stopped down to about f/8. I think it's better than the Canon 50mm 1.8 I was also playing with:
    https://secure.flickr.com/photos/ace_ace_baby/8583064479/sizes/l/in/photostream/

This one was close to wide open (I should take notes when shooting :) ), just to get an idea of what the bokeh was like.
    https://secure.flickr.com/photos/ace_ace_baby/8385280496/sizes/o/in/set-72157604411986314/

I really like this lens.

7. BLT

BLT Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    London
    James
    Having said the above. I want to be clear that it is just the price I have a problem with not the lens.

I have a 25mm f1.4 CCTV lens that I bought on eBay for £25 with adapter. It is a lot of fun and still sometimes comes out of my bag when I find I need that f1.4 in ultra low light.

So to the op. of your on a budget please do look at CCTV lenses. Just don't waste your cash on the overpriced Jackar.

8. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I'll second the comment by DeeJayK. The Konica 40 1.8 you already have is a better lens and I just don't see any advantage to the other since both are MF.

9. Artorius

Artorius Mu-43 Regular

Thank you everyone for the quick responses, they were extremely helpful. I think I'll just hold out till the summer when I can work. By then I should hopefully be able to pick up a much better lens. I'm currently eyeing the Slr Magic 12mm and the Voigtlanders. I can't wait till I can get true quality in my hands! :p

10. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    +1 for the Fujian lens. I got mine from ebay including the adapter and "macro rings" for around 30€. Its fun to play around with. SLR Magic also sells CCTV lenses (the ones with the colored rubber rings around them).

For CCTV lenses in general: Posters above have mentioned the quality and before buying you should look at sample images and decide whether you like the look or not. Before buying you also should check that the lens in question covers the image circle of µ43. The Fujian 35mm or example does but some other lenses will result in black corners.

11. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    I don't think the ~$100 SLR Magic 25mm CCTV lenses are any different to the $25 eBay ones. That doesn't apply to lenses like the 12mm though.

12. suntoryjim

suntoryjim Mu-43 Regular

Feb 6, 2013
  13. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    The fujian is a cheap alternative and i dig it.. i use on my p3 now.. and it is just a nice little lens for dirt cheap...

14. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith