1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

J&R Music and Computer World Closes NYC Store

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Biro, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    This may not resonate as much with non-metro New Yorkers but J&R Music and Computer World (which also sold a lot of cameras) has closed its store in downtown Mahattan after 43 years. Still, they used to run newspaper ads in major newspapers across the country so they had a lot of mail, phone and, in later years, Internet orders. Apparently, they will continue to do business online and via Amazon.com.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-...s-after-43-years-as-lower-manhattan-icon.html

I loved their old building on Park Row downtown. A really interesting place with a lot of atmosphere, even if my wife thought it was kinda creepy. I wish the Friedmans the best of luck.

2. Sig

Sig Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 11, 2012
    I bought my first m4/3 camera from them (online). An open box GX1 with 14-42x lens for $485. It seemed like a great deal... 2 years ago.

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Bummer. I got introduced to Olympus digital camera through them (an E-510 kit) as well as high-grade Olympus lenses (a ZD 50/2.0 macro).

4. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    They sold me a used fax machine as new and screwed me out of a $50 rebate, so good luck to them.