1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

J&R Music and Computer World Closes NYC Store

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Biro, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    This may not resonate as much with non-metro New Yorkers but J&R Music and Computer World (which also sold a lot of cameras) has closed its store in downtown Mahattan after 43 years. Still, they used to run newspaper ads in major newspapers across the country so they had a lot of mail, phone and, in later years, Internet orders. Apparently, they will continue to do business online and via Amazon.com.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-...s-after-43-years-as-lower-manhattan-icon.html

I loved their old building on Park Row downtown. A really interesting place with a lot of atmosphere, even if my wife thought it was kinda creepy. I wish the Friedmans the best of luck.

2. Sig

Sig Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2012
    I bought my first m4/3 camera from them (online). An open box GX1 with 14-42x lens for $485. It seemed like a great deal... 2 years ago.

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Bummer. I got introduced to Olympus digital camera through them (an E-510 kit) as well as high-grade Olympus lenses (a ZD 50/2.0 macro).

4. They sold me a used fax machine as new and screwed me out of a $50 rebate, so good luck to them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.