J& R auction in New York

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by atashako, May 10, 2014.

1. atashako

atashako New to Mu-43

May 22, 2012
    Maryland, USA
  2. thchen

thchen Mu-43 Regular

Jan 28, 2012
    holy ishhhht.. they said the closure itsn't permanent, but it's been over a month, and it sure looks like they're done for.
  3. Gusnyc

Gusnyc Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    New York
    They are remodeling the stores. Big job. They are aiming to reopen in 2015.
  4. Claiie

Claiie New to Mu-43

Apr 29, 2014
    Do you know how it will be organized (the auction)?

Open to public ? Lots of individual items like lens, body? Is there additional fee to add at that final price ?

Will probably have a look tomorrow, just in case !
  5. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    The ad lists a 15% Buyer's premium. That's on top of whatever the winning bid prices are.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Claiie

Claiie New to Mu-43

Apr 29, 2014
    ok thank you for the explanation !

I will have a look tomorrow to see if it's worth it or not. Don't expect anything but may pick up photo gears if the price are good
  7. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Looking at the photos of what's for sale, I would not expect individual items - it looks like their going to package lots that are attractive to other vendors to re-sell.
  8. Claiie

Claiie New to Mu-43

Apr 29, 2014
    I went this morning to have a look !

1/Don't come with a BAG, you will not be able to be in and there is no checking bag !

2/Few photo gears and there are for 90% open box

3/They told me that photo gear sale will be tomorrow

4/ There is very fews individual items, bundle of 2-3 lenses, but sometimes bundles of 40 photos bags !

Was looking for m4/3 gears, almost nothing, didn't see a single lens but just check quickly. Just saw a open box EPM2

Didn't ask if we could inspect the products are they are "open box" and if there is still some kind of warranty on it.

Will probably go back tomorrow more for curiosity (to know the price of some items in auction vs real life - Apparently sometimes it's worth than ebay, people go crazy and buy a price superior than in website like amazon) than to buy stuffs.
  9. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    Interesting. If I didn't have work, I would go check this out tomorrow..

Good luck going back tomorrow and hopefully you get something worth while :smile:
  10. Capture01

Capture01 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 24, 2013
    cool. keep us updated please..
  11. Claiie

Claiie New to Mu-43

Apr 29, 2014
    So came back from the auction ! Let's sum up.

Very surprised by the number of people that didn't do their homework about the price in store like amazon, bhphoto, etc and were bidding crazy. Some of them didn't understand the 15% premium and while some stuffs were sell by bulk the biding price was by piece. Exemple: 71 SD cards, bids like 20 each mean 71x20 so have to pay 1420$ + 15% premium + NYC tax so 1778 in total !

In the following I will put the price paid by the guy without the tax to directly compare with amazon (amazon price) =s o voice price + 15% premium based on my search and what I wrote down for record :D

So I found that some made good deals and other bad ones ! The worst was for the small camera like Nex5, Sony cybershot, and DSLR kit. People were crazy for the DSLR ! The best one was the big bulk like the sd cards, the lens bundle with high end lenses with them and for the best deal for me was the nikkor 70-200 VrII sold for 1495$ vs 2400$ in amazon ! Almost 50%, was very interested but was to high for my pocket.

So see the list of the pack / price paid + premium / amazon

So by discussing with multiple seller from J&R to have a strong version, the condition of the gears was :

Not really "new" at least for them, 90% was open box, so return of customers, windows gear etc. The real new, unopened items were sold by internet. But I said not new but It also not hardly used (my opinion) because if return of customers it's 2-3 weeks and ALL the articles were check by the Service Quality / Equipment department which certified that everything in box were complete and in perfect order. For any warranty, that's not clear because they said it's will depend of the manufactor. You have the warranty card inside but you don't have a really receipt with a good description of the item so for me I said to myself that was without warranty to be safe and would be sold as is (I have stuffs to sell because made too much purchases !

Here are the price of today

D7100 kit 1035 vs 1400 amazon
    D5200 kit 635 vs ??? amazon
    D5300 kit 920 vs ??? amazon and a second one 575$

70-200F4 + 24-120 F4 + 17-35 F2.8 2415$
    70-200 F2.8 VRII 1495 vs 2400 amazon
    24-120 f3,5-5,6 + AFD 85mm 1,4 + AFD 85mm 1,8 1553$ vs 2347$ amazon

60D kit 690 vs ??? amazon
    7D body only 805 vs ??? amazon and another one at 690$

Nex 5 and 6 690$
    EPM2 kit + EM5 kit : 920$
    olympus MMF2 + HDL6 grip + flash FL14 : 69 $ vs 550$ amazon
    not a single m4/3 lenses in sale !

What do you think ?

I bought some item in bulk (no choice when you can split them) so look the sell section or contact me by mp if you're interested by 1 item and an idea of your price. I want to get it off quite quickly so I am open for the price or trade for m4/3 lenses. Olympus 17 F1.8, 9-18mm, Bower/samyang fisheye 7,5mm

From J&R auction so sold as "open box", checked and verified by J&R guy as complete and working, not new but very hardly or not used and I would say probably no warranty:

Optrix OPT-003 XD5 Waterproof Case for iPhone 5
    Olympus HLD-6*Grip
    Olympus flash FL14
    Olympus MMF2 adaptor

Nikkor AF 85mm f1.8D
    Nikkor AF 85mm f1.4D
    Nikkor Af-S VR 24-120 f3.5-5.6 G

Nikkor Af-S VR 17-55 f2.8 DX G
    Nikkor Af-S VR 70-300 f4.5-5,6 G
    Tamron SP AF200-500 5-6.3 Di Ld IF nikon mount

From recent purchase, so with warranty running (tell you exactly the time, etc if interested), condition like new, very well take care :

Nikon d7100 body only or bundle with lenses
    Nikkor AF-S 18-300 VR 3.5-5.6
    EPM2 kit (2 weeks old, protective paper screen still on it)

From more old purchase but still working and very good condition, working etc, no warranty
    nikon d90 body only or bundle with lenses
    Nikkor AF-S 18-105 VR
    Sigma 10-20 F4-5.6 nikon mount

Tripod manfrotto 190xprob + Manfrotto 804RC2 3-Way Pan/Tilt Head with RC2 Quick Release + Bag

(selling all stuffs to go m4/3 and full frame. I am in the middle with APS-C)

Bye guys.

Sorry for my english, I am french and too lazy to double check the grammar after this day.