I've owned hundreds of lenses and the sharpest one I've ever used is...

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by LowriderS10, Nov 10, 2013.

1. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    I've owned hundreds of lenses, from pedestrian film gear to nearly $2,000 Canon L-lenses that are benchmarks of the industry.

And the sharpest one I've ever used...is a $239 all-manual Samyang (in my case labelled as Bower) 7.5mm fisheye.

This. Lens. Is. RIDICULOUS. Usually when I'm checking sharpness on my OM-D, I only zoom into 10x, because at 14x they all look a little disappointing. This one shines right up to 14x...and that's wide open!!!

Also, micro contrast, colours, etc are gorgeous out of this lens. Here's a teaser from tonight's shooting...I've shot this temple before with my Canon 16-35L II on a 5D Mark II...I'm going to compare them later...but for now...here's an edited JPEG and a 100% crop (unedited, straight off the card JPEG from the same picture):

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/tamasv/10777253556/" title="EDITVOM1223 by Tamas V, on Flickr">"1024" height="768" alt="EDITVOM1223"></a>

100% crop...JPEG, *NO* editing whatsoever (I think the quality has been slightly degraded through hosting, it's even sharper when I just open it up on the computer):

Soooo happy I bought this lens. If you know how to use it, you can really minimize the distortions too...or use them to your advantage...I'll post more pics later...but now...it's time for dinner, The IT Crowd and sleep! :)

T

• Like Like x 16
  2. F/Stop

F/Stop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Brian Y.
    ive been contemplated to get this lens in the meantime before oly releases a wide zoom. many good images have come from this lens

• Like Like x 1
  3. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    I'm on my third mount with the Samyang. Nikon DX, m43, and now Fuji x.

All excellent.
    The m43 version is the smallest and focuses the closest.

• Like Like x 1
  4. 少林chris

少林chris Mu-43 Regular

Jun 28, 2013
    Los Angeles / Copenhagen
    Chris
    Nice. Definitely the next piece of glass I'm gonna get.

• Like Like x 2
  5. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Yup - it's a fantastic lens. Bought mine used for $180 and it's the best $180 I ever spent. Wonderful IQ, really fun FOV. It never leaves my bag.

• Like Like x 2
  6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    That close focusing yields some fantastic 'close ups'. This mushroom was perhaps 2 inches from the end of the lens:

10465823125_784762e768_o.
    Mushroom by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 21
  7. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Oly does have a wide zoom, the 9-18mm. It's a little on the slow side, but I love that lens. Tiny, but great quality. For me, it's the perfect travel UWA zoom. With that said, I think I'll keep carrying both the Samyang and the 9-18 with me. They're small and light and do different things!

Nice! I was very tempted by their stuff when I shot Canon, but for some reason never went for it. I was never really a fish-eye guy, but was always a UWA guy. When I read how forgiving the distortions are with this lens (the above picture really looks like it was taken with a UWA, not a fish eye), I had to give it a shot...I'm glad I did!

You won't regret it! :)

Great job on that mushroom shot! And yeah...it's so small and light (and yet so much fun), that it'll have a permanent home in my bag as well! :)

8. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    This lens is hard to beat for the price. I love mine! :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  9. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Another one from last night:

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/tamasv/10778915926/" title="EDITVOM1226 by Tamas V, on Flickr"> 10778915926_3e3495b764_b. "1024" height="785" alt="EDITVOM1226"></a>

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 10
  10. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    are these images defished? They still seem a little 'fishy' to me. Some areas still seem a bit curvy.

11. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Nope...that's the beauty of it...this is all straight off the card, as far as the fishy-ness goes! :D Sure, the edges are distorted, but I'm not worried about it, the actual subjects are a lot less distorted than I was afraid they would be, and in other pics, the fishy-ness really works (will post those later).

12. flipmack

flipmack Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2012
    irvine, CA
    Yeah I would agree. Best "investment" for m4/3 that I made. If I were to go back to bare minimum for my cameras, I'd keep my epm1 and the Samyang and the e410 and the zd 35/3.5 macro - which I thought was the sharpest lens I had used...until the Samyang.

Sent from my Barnes & Noble Nook Tablet using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  13. mnhoj

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Awesome shot. Certainly transmits the feeling of being small.
    I was bummed once I figured out that the xmount version didn't have the feature.

14. mnhoj

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    That's a beauty.

• Like Like x 1
  15. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks, John! :)

Here's a shot where the the fishy-ness works in favour of the overall effect, I think:

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/tamasv/10793904673/" title="EDITVOM1198 by Tamas V, on Flickr"> 10793904673_d6ce7b2796_b. "1024" height="768" alt="EDITVOM1198"></a>

• Like Like x 9
  16. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    Great shots!

Lenses this wide are interesting. While on the one hand the distortion looks unnatural, put some people towards the corner of the frame and the fishe-eye suddenly does much better than an equally wide rectilinear :p

• Like Like x 1
  17. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks! Yeah, it's definitely more difficult to use than a lens with less distortion (I tried a few things while I was out that I thought might look cool that ended up looking horrendous haha), if you nail it...it's not too bad!

For me, photography is all about fun. I do sell prints now and again, but ever since I left journalism, I shoot for me and me alone. If I'm out there having fun, I'm not even all that concerned about the end product...if it turns out well, it's just a cherry on top. And this lens...is all fun! It was actually really cool shooting that day...I only used the 7.5mm fisheye and the Olympus 75mm 1.8...two VASTLY different lenses...jolly good fun! :D

• Like Like x 1
  18. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    I love my 7.5, I hope you didn't mind, I could'nt resist it.

Two lenses for the price of one, a UWA and a FE.

FE
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/tamasv/10777253556/" title="EDITVOM1223 by Tamas V, on Flickr">"1024" height="768" alt="EDITVOM1223"></a>

After defishing.

10777253556_9ecd4618431_b by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

• Like Like x 2
  19. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Wow, thanks for that, Dave!!! What program did you do that with?

I was always under the impression that I would lose material de-fishing, but it all appears to be there...oooooh...this is gooood. Very good!!!

20. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You don't lose edges as a rule, but the edges always turn very mushy when you de-fish, hence why the edges are usually cropped off a bit. You can tell even at 1024px, comparing the original with the de-fished version.

• Like Like x 1