I've made a decision!

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Artorius, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Artorius

Artorius Mu-43 Regular

Today at the camera show, I made a hard, but good decision. I decided to stop expanding my ragtag vintage lens kit and start selling. This was motivated by want of better native lenses and a matching set of screw mount Takumars. I started today by selling my Konica 40mm, as well as my Takumar bayonet 28mm. I loved the Konica for portrait work, but I think I'll eventually get an Olympus 45mm for that. The Takumar bayonet was underwhelming and I overpaid for it. However, I did pick up a m42 135mm Super-multi-coated Takumar for only $20. I was offered a 55mm f1.4 SMC Takumar for $20, but I had already spent my money. However, I also picked up a SMC Takumar 55mm f1.8 to replace my ugly condition SMC Takumar 55 f2. I wish I was offered the f1.4 earlier, but I'll have another chance next month.

I started this thread just to get an awareness of the remaining Takumars and their rarity. I want to pick up a 35mm, 28mm, and a macro Takumar- all in screw mount. First, are these hard to find? Second, are they commonly overpriced, or expensive?

2. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Where is the camera show?

3. Artorius

Artorius Mu-43 Regular

They have two every month. And they just added another to bring the grand total to 3 camera shows every month! The one I go to, which would probably be closest for you, is the Buena Park camera show. They also have shows in Pasadena and West Covina.

:: Welcome to Bargain Camera Show! ::

That link will direct you to times, locations, etc. Happy hunting!

4. iamajai

iamajai Mu-43 Regular

I've been searching locally for Takumars and found them to be very reasonably priced here in Vancouver, Canada. A recent add on Craigslist had a 50mm/1.4 and a 35mm/3.5 for $50 combined, both screw mount. I'm actually very tempted to buy them on principle, but my FD mount lenses cover me for now. The physical look of the Takumar lenses is aesthetically very appealing to me for some reason. How do you find shooting with them? Are you happy with the images?

5. Artorius

Artorius Mu-43 Regular

I'm very happy. I've been messing with the 135mm for a few days now and it just feels right on my GH2. I love it to death. I also use the 55mm a lot for filmmaking and it just has something (which I can't quite describe) that makes it special to me. Wide open they're usable, but stopped down is when they get beautiful. I've used the 55 for semi-macro and I always love the shots it gives me. I've tried Canon FD's but I've definitely got a soft spot for Takumars. I'd also jump on that 35mm Takumar in a split second! Some guy at the camera show tried to ask $200 for that 35mm! :eek:

6. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    According to another poster here the 55 1.8 is sharp wide open and one of the sharpest legacy lenses you can get!

7. Artorius

Artorius Mu-43 Regular

Wow! :eek: I'm very happy to hear that! Not that I needed any validation but its always great to know I made the right decision! :biggrin:

8. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    If I was into Takumars, I'd only get the radioactive puppies.

Pentax Super Takumar 35mm f/2 (Asahi Optical Co.)
    Pentax Super Takumar 50mm f/1.4 (Asahi Optical Co.)
    SMC Takumar 35mm f/2.0 (Asahi Optical Co.)
    Super Takumar 35mm f/2.0 (Asahi Optical Co.)
    SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4 (Asahi Optical Co.)
    Super Takumar 50mm f/1.4 (Only latest Version 2)
    Super Takumar 55mm f/1.8 (Asahi Optical Co.)
    SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8 (Asahi Optical Co.)
    Super Takumar 55mm f/2.0 (Asahi Optical Co.)
    SMC Takumar 55mm f/2.0 (Asahi Optical Co.)
    SMC Takumar 85mm f/1.8 (Asahi Optical Co.)
    Super Takumar 6x7 105mm f2.4 (Asahi Optical Co.)