I've just saved 40 quid!! (remote shutter release)

BartonFlyer

Mu-43 Regular
I wanted to get a remote shutter release for my E-P2 so looked first at the official Olympus RM-UC1 - best price I could see was £45.99 at Park Cameras, but a bit more googling and I found this from BV Electronics on Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001C47Y4I/ref=oss_product for just £5.99 - it arrived today and SO FAR appears to work perfectly.

As it's a passive component, not putting power into the camera I thought it worth the risk - time will tell.

I'm ashamed to say I didn't go through the affiliate link (sorry Amin - next time I will!) but put ths here as a reminder for others :redface:

JimNYUK

Mu-43 Rookie
Very timely advice. I was just about to order the official one. At that price it's worth the risk, although being a passive device, a very small risk I would think. I would be very interested in an update once you have had time to check it out.
Jim

Iansky

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Hi Ian,

That was a good purchase and I will be interested to get your feedback as I am considering something similar for my GF1 and the same maker may provide one.

Original manufacturers items are always at a premium price that seems too high.

Cheers,
Ian (this will throw a spanner in the works - Ian talking to Ian)!

jhob

Mu-43 Veteran
I have bought a similar 3rd party release for my Fuji S5Pro and it works great, in fact I later got a 3rd party radio transmitter release and that works fine too. I've never heard of such 3rd party products damaging the equipment, there's always a first time for everything but I would think it unlikely to happen.

BartonFlyer

Mu-43 Regular
I'll give it some welly over the weekend and report back - and Ian - there just aren't enough Ians in the world - :)

Bill Gordon

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I wanted to get a remote shutter release for my E-P2 so looked first at the official Olympus RM-UC1 - best price I could see was £45.99 at Park Cameras, but a bit more googling and I found this from BV Electronics on Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001C47Y4I/ref=oss_product for just £5.99 - it arrived today and SO FAR appears to work perfectly.

As it's a passive component, not putting power into the camera I thought it worth the risk - time will tell.

I'm ashamed to say I didn't go through the affiliate link (sorry Amin - next time I will!) but put ths here as a reminder for others :redface:
Just had a look at your Blog and found the box at the left very interesting. Imagine, you can see where we are living!! Amazing!! This new technology blows me away including the E-P2 which I have!!

BartonFlyer

Mu-43 Regular
A Full Review!

As promised, I've had a chance to play around with the shutter release and can confirm that it seems well made & works fine.

The cable is 3' long - yes that's 36 inches - obviously no insidious metrication for the Chinese! - The box it comes in says "Silver Shadow Photo Equipment Co" - "Made in China".

Being an inquisitive soul I opened up the case (held together by two small screws then it snaps shut), and to me the soldering looks fine, and whilst one might expect super high tech electronics, it is in fact a very simple device with three metal leaves - second picture, which are progressively pushed together by a metal slider - third picture (which is under the button on the top of the case), - as the first two leaves touch, that triggers the autofocus, then as the third one completes the circuit it obviously triggers the shutter.

£5.99 - can't go wrong - I think I'll apply to Which Magazine now as tester and review writer :smile:

Attachments

• release1.jpg
    release1.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 305
  • release2.jpg
    release2.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 374
  • release3.jpg
    release3.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 288

deckitout

Mu-43 Veteran
I purchased one and it only fires intermittently, you seem to have to really force the connector in which I am a little concerned about as many E3 owners had a problem with pushing the connection into the camera which resulted in the Camera having to be returned to Olympus.

Hence I would be wary

As promised, I've had a chance to play around with the shutter release and can confirm that it seems well made & works fine.

The cable is 3' long - yes that's 36 inches - obviously no insidious metrication for the Chinese! - The box it comes in says "Silver Shadow Photo Equipment Co" - "Made in China".

Being an inquisitive soul I opened up the case (held together by two small screws then it snaps shut), and to me the soldering looks fine, and whilst one might expect super high tech electronics, it is in fact a very simple device with three metal leaves - second picture, which are progressively pushed together by a metal slider - third picture (which is under the button on the top of the case), - as the first two leaves touch, that triggers the autofocus, then as the third one completes the circuit it obviously triggers the shutter.

£5.99 - can't go wrong - I think I'll apply to Which Magazine now as tester and review writer :smile:

BartonFlyer

Mu-43 Regular
I purchased one and it only fires intermittently, you seem to have to really force the connector in which I am a little concerned about as many E3 owners had a problem with pushing the connection into the camera which resulted in the Camera having to be returned to Olympus.

Hence I would be wary

Interesting observation Phil - I'd certainly say that the connector to the camera is a snug fit and does require to pushed on firmly, but I've taken that as a positive as it needs to hold firm, otherwise the weight of the cable would tend to pull it loose. I think that's probably an issue with all the very small connectors that are just push fit.

deckitout

Mu-43 Veteran
Sure

I wouldn't have thought twice about it but having read the woes of several E3 owners this week who through pushing two hard pushed the connectors into the camera body, having said that the E3 uses a different connector so Oly probably wouldn't make the same mistake twice... (I hope) pushing mine in a little harder it now works, but I am still a little nervous lol

Interesting observation Phil - I'd certainly say that the connector to the camera is a snug fit and does require to pushed on firmly, but I've taken that as a positive as it needs to hold firm, otherwise the weight of the cable would tend to pull it loose. I think that's probably an issue with all the very small connectors that are just push fit.

Latest threads

Top Bottom