1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I've figured out what's wrong with m4/3s

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by ThomD, Aug 16, 2013.

1. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Oly and Panny release too many new cameras too often!

Seriously, the product refresh cycle is so short that most cameras can only be incremental improvements - technology only moves so fast. Add to that the fact that the gap between announcement and hands-on is so long that the Interwebs work themselves into a lather dreaming about how the next camera (or the one after that) will be perfect (except for that one fatal flaw).

I'm new here, but I am astonished at how many threads there are nit picking about cameras. OMG, the next GFX-9 is going to have 10 way IBIS! The EMPLX-11 will have a sensor the size of the screen from a Compaq Portable! The new 7000D Mark XI will go to ISO 256,000 (with freakin' lasers!). My camera is the sux!

Really, there seems to be a lot of hand wringing about how "next year's" cameras will be perfect.

Now, that's not to say that I don't dream of better equipment. Call me when I can get the focus speed of a Canon 1D, the IQ of a 645 and the body size of a G2 with m43 lenses like a 400mm f2 (no bigger than my coffee cup). 43Rumors rates this as an FT0.5

But dragonfly season is just about over here and that bums me out (a little) more than the fact that Amazon can't get a G6 in stock. :sad010:

Comparison is the thief of joy. - TR

2. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Don't link the under-confidence on this forum with the manufacturers frequency of delivering new cameras.

MFT delivers at much the same frequency as other ranges. Where new cameras range from small increments to big steps forward and game changers. Look at Fujifilm for example.
    And MFT is not short of delivering serious improvements recently. OM-D, E-P5, GX7. And I don't see it stopping.

So ignore the hand-wringing (to which you are contributing) and enjoy the shiny stuff.

3. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    The issue isn't too many product releases as much as it is our inability to just ignore them. I've tucked myself in to photographic bed with the E-M5 and the story in my head that it is way more camera than I am photographer, so I have no need to keep drooling over the latest and greatest.

I'm not sure how well this will work out, but I am more committed to the strategy than ever before. And I haven't even been remotely tempted to pre-order a GX7. :)

4. thomastaesu

thomastaesu Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    ATL, GA
    Thomas
    Yes, EM5 has been my Gas-X as well.

5. janneman

janneman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2012
    Netherlands
    Jan (John) Kusters
    First of, I only have a clear picture on Oly.

I think M43 has been playing a game of catch up with the rest the last few years, which demanded to launch a new camera whenever something improved (EP1-EP2 electronic VF, EP2-EP3 AF improvement, EP3-EP5 new sensor). With the arrival of the 16mp sensor, I think they have caught up; as far as I am concerned they are right in the middle of 'good enough'. This means trouble for Oly, because I for example have little reason to upgrade from my EM-5 (an effect seen by other manufacturers once their camera's had solved the basic problems of digital).

The basic product line is quite clear, but as far as I am concerned too little differentiated; M low, PL middle, Pen top, and OM-D for the integrated VF. But with the same sensor and just a few buttons more or less, the form factor is the only real difference. Important, but perhaps not important enough.

6. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    For me it used to be the D700... and now it seems like the Fuji X-E1 will stop my GAS. (due to lack of lens choices ;))

Being on m43 is like a dream hehe so many choices and all are relatively cheap... its like heaven or hell, whichever way you look at it, for people with severe GAS :D

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app

7. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    The quick product cycle is frustrating (I would extend your thoughts to pretty much cover all of mirrorless)... all the time we have this rumor stuff on the next big thing and huge discounts on the model from 6 months ago.

Amen to that brother (though I think I am 46 rungs below you on the Ladder of Photographic Skill, Vision and Happiness)!

It always helps my GAS when I do a search on 500px for some random, old (like 1 year even!) or tiny-sensored digital camera and then am completely bowled over by the images from this camera.

8. garfield_cz

garfield_cz Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Pavel
    What's wrong with mu43?

People just talk too much about technical aspects of their cameras instead of shooting quality pictures with equipment they have. In past year or two I've seen too much bad pictures in terms of technical quality posted in image forums, so now I do not wan't even open such forums :frown: but mostly such pictures was shot with latest body or lens. Point and shoot (mobile phone) style of photography just ruined real photography craftsmanship and people are more focused to technical abilities of their cameras hoping that thousands of dollars invested into equipment will instantly make their pictures better. Sadly that is not true and as many of us know very good photography can be made with shoe box.

9. dnightingale

dnightingale Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Darren
    Each to their own..

I love to drool over a great picture. I also love to drool over nice gear.

It seems to me that both are perfectly acceptable and both perfectly explain why people love to visit here (And other online forums / communities).

Long live creativity and capitalism.

Enjoy

• Like Like x 1
  10. sam_nl

sam_nl Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 19, 2013
    It's a little frustrating that prices of 'older' models drop so fast.
    My G5 is like worth nothing now that the G6 has been released. The difference in price is too high imo to justify the improvements...

Luckily I'm happy with the G5 and plan to use it for a couple of more years!

11. mikey2omd

mikey2omd New to Mu-43

Jul 18, 2013
    Aside from the E-M5, I think I am going to buy at the end of each product's life cycle from now on. It only takes about a year. This time last year, G3 body was selling for $249. Now G5 body is hovering at that price. Next year, likely G6 will be around there.

12. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I've noticed that the Panasonic G bodies all rapidly drop to that $250 price. The Pens don't seem to drop that fast. I think Panasonic panics and dumps stock too quickly.

13. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    Unless you buy at the end of a product cycle when the prices are severely discounted, and of course the cameras are no less capable or good as when just introduced. :thumbup:

14. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    Agreed, I came here from Full Frame 35 mm and surely the only real limitation I envision is printing huge enlargements. Short of that, my tiny, 16mp sensor GX1 should work fine if I do my part.

When I eventually upgrade my bodies it will be more want than need. In the past I would purchase one (expensive) FF dSLR body and keep it for years, then after it’s replacement had sufficiently aged, I’d buy one of those (I purchased both my 5D & 5D2 just before new models were introduced).

Because the prices are relatively low or reasonable and the product is compact, I've bought more glass for my m4/3 system than I had for the Canon kit I'd owned for many years.

While I agree it’s fun to shop and study the new gear and I like to buy stuff, I’m not in a hurry to purchase a few new bodies for $1,000 each and an incremental upgrade when I just spent $1,000 for several bodies.

15. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I don't see it at such a bad thing. The drop in prices allow people to get into the system at cheap prices. :smile:

16. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    Well said.

I am in agreement with your feelings about the excitement over great images and new innovations in camera gear.

I love seeing the creativity and artistry from a great photographer's inspiration. I also look forward to the leap forward that we see from time to time in cameras like the OMD. No matter how you slice it, The OMD is still the standard against which other M4/3 cameras are judged.

Dan (A new E-P5 owner)

17. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    Not a bad thing if you're patient and don't mind 2 year old technology.

I paid $250 for my first m43. EP-1 with Lens. Sold it for $120.

I paid $275 for my 2nd M43 EP-2 with Lens, VF2, and FL14. Still have it..will sell it.

I paid $400 for my 3rd M43 E-PM2 with Pana 14mm & 14-42mm II.

I'm not spending whole lot of cash enjoying M43.

I'll wait until E-P5 drops down to about $300.. and will pick it up.

And if current trend continues, it will happen.:2thumbs:

18. Toddster

Toddster Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Florida
    Todd Cleaver
    I love the fast refresh cycle. I never buy equipment based on resale value; I assume I will use it until it is obsolete or I break it. The extremely low price of the perfectly capable G5 is what brought me over to M43. I shall use the two that I purchased without the least bit of concern about what I am missing in the G6 (or G7 or G8 when the come out). I suspect about the time they introduce the G10 I will be ready to steal a couple of G9's:)
    Todd

19. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    +1

I'm just starting to seriously consider an E-M5 if my budget allows. Until then I'm still happy using my end-of-life cycle purchased G2.

Fred

20. DeoreDX

DeoreDX Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 13, 2013
    Alabama
    I'm a big fan of the fast life cycles because it drives down the prices of the current cameras to levels I will pick them up much faster. I've been waiting patiently for the price of the OMD to drop to ~$500 levels so I can pick one up. The new OMD can't come fast enough IMHO :)