1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

I've been putting this off.....

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by vintageslrs, Jan 23, 2011.

1. vintageslrs

vintageslrs Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2010
    but now I must come clean.

OK...after owning my Panasonic Lumix G1 for about a month, I must tell you my true feelings.

I am disappointed. But not with the quality of the product or how it does what it does. It is very well made and has superb build qulaity.

I suppose I was naive, thinking an old time film photographer could make the transition from film SLR's (manual focus) to a micro 4/3 digital camera and make it succesfully and seemlessly.

My disappointment can be summed up by today's activities. After doing an errand this morning, I arrived at home and said OK...although we have many feet of snow everywhere, I would like to document the amount of snow we have and the 2 huge icebergs in my driveway which are my 2 (old) Volvo's which I do not drive in the salt crusted winters. I want to take some photographs!

Ok...out comes the G1. Now it is a bright, very bright sunny day and bright white snow is everywhere. Instinctively I bring the viewfinder up to my eye ( like most veterans of 37 years of 35mm SLR users might do) and then I remember...oh forget it---the viewfinder on this camera is pretty much useless. So, I open the LCD monitor and flip it over and put in back in place so the screen is flush to my camera back. Alright now I'm ready--it is so bright outside I cannot see anything on my screen. So my viewfinder is useless and my LCD monitor is useless today too. How the @#$%&* am I going take photos today with this marvel of 21st century technology?

OK...out comes my Minolta X-700 35mm film SLR. Obviously the same conditions exist. I bring the viewfinder up to my eye and am greeted by the most beautiful sight one can imagine. A working viewfinder--very bright--subjects wonderfully see-able. And with the split image spot and the microprism band--I can focus with pin point accuracy any subject I wish to, today. I take about 12 photos in zero degree temps and I am a very happy photog and satisfied with my short but very enjoyable photo session.

So, where does that leave my G1? Well, it leaves it (to me) as a real nice indoor portrait camera for photographing our 8 pets and our 2 and soon to be 3 grandchildren.

But sadly, that is not what I envisioned it to be when I purchased it. It is not my everyday, outdoor, go to camera!

And that is why I am disappointed. I hope I have not offended anyone. I hope I have not angered anyone. But these are my true feelings.

all the best
    Bob

• Like Like x 3
  2. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    I would suggest you buy a DSLR.

3. squidbrand

squidbrand Mu-43 Regular

Dec 22, 2010
    Hà Nội, Việt Nam
    Is it really? I mean, of course a real optical viewfinder on a film SLR is a luxury in comparison... but I regularly use the GF1's EVF to compose shots when it's too bright for the screen, and the G1 has a way nicer finder than the one I'm using. Maybe your G1 is defective.

4. Danny_Two

Danny_Two Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2010
    London
    There's nothing wrong with the G1 viewfinder or the lcd, it's perfectly good in bright sun and at night.

5. vintageslrs

Dec 13, 2010
    Danny Two--Maybe it is a combo of these 56 year old eyes and the super bright sun and the super bright reflective snow here in New Hampshire, USA today---but trust me, the viewfinder and the LCD monitor were both useless today--here with my eyes.

Bob

6. squidbrand

squidbrand Mu-43 Regular

Dec 22, 2010
    Hà Nội, Việt Nam
    Ehhhhh... if the G1 is suggestive of his budget range for a digital camera, and a nice finder is what he wants, a DSLR is probably a bad idea. Entry-level DSLR's use pentamirrors instead of real pentaprisms, and the images that hit them are just smaller than they would be on a film camera because of the crop sensor size, so the viewfinders tend to be pretty small and dark. I used to own a Canon 7D, and even that camera's viewfinder was a joke compared to the incredible finder on my beat-up Pentax ME Super.

7. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    The G1 works terrifically well in the snow on a bright sunny day and the electronic viewfinder is superb - you must have a defective one, or maybe forgot to turn it on. Did you adjust the diopter for your particular eyes? I was out just the other day in 12 degree temperatures and took a bunch of pictures with the G1 and all came out great. I had all the info desplayed in the viewfinder including the histogram, and got spot on exposures every time - no need to shoot RAW - all jpegs came out great without additional fiddling in the computer.

DSLRs will go the way of film cameras in my view. They are history. The electronic viewfinder as in the G1 has it all over a DSLR in that you get the histogram on your image in addition to any other infor you need. The G1's viewfinder is bright and clear and shows you 100% of the image.

• Like Like x 3
  8. BrianK

BrianK Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 20, 2011
    Lansing MI
    I ran into the same issue this morning with my G2, the EVF and LCD were totally worthless in the bright sunshine of -6 degree weather. BUT I am having so much more fun with this G2 than my old DSLR, so I am trying to figure out a decent work around. I did a lot of tap to focus and took a ton of shots, over 200, I think I might get 2 or 3 keepers and thats fine as I am happy with one, but man what a pain.

BK

( I almost exclusively use a Legacy MF lens of some sort on my G2, but It was so bright today, that was impossible and defaulted to the 14-42 )

• Like Like x 1
  9. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    What exactly happens to your electronic viewfinders - how are they useless? I can see and have experienced an LCD being barely visable in the bright sun, but neither the EVF on the G1 nor the little LVF1 for my GF1 are ever useless in bright sun. Indeed, they look terrific - especially the EVF on the G1. You do need to adjust the diopter in both cases, but then they are clear and sharp. I live in rural upstate NY and we have a lot of snow and blazing sun on clear days -no problem for the G1

• Like Like x 2
  10. BrianK

BrianK Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 20, 2011
    Lansing MI
    Hmm how to explain, its was just real damm hard to see anything of value that might give me any useful info on what I was shooting other than what I can see with my naked eye.
    It was so bright it was hard to even see anything anyway let alone on an LCD, the EVF was of course better but not much. I did have the eyepiece properly adjusted but maybe it was just too bright out.
    First time I have had an real issue with this. I was so bright it was hard to read my iphone screen as well, but like I said I really love this camera and will figure it out. Could just have been all the squinting : ) :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  11. vintageslrs

Dec 13, 2010
    BrianK--your experience mirrors mine.
    It was just so darn bright out there and my eyes
    must have adjusted to such extreme brightness that anything on the
    LCD was barely visible. And if it is barely visible--then it is useless to me--
    at that moment.
    squidbrand--you are correct! The budget will not allow a DSLR and what you said about entry level DSLR's makes me certain, even if they were within budget, they would not please me.
    But hey, it's OK---I got a really good indoor use camera in the G1 and I have a ton of high quality film SLR's and tons of vintage glass for them for outdoor use. So, it's all good.

Bob

• Like Like x 1
  12. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I have found huge issues with certain LCDs in bright sun when I am wearing polarized prescription sunglasses. Not sure if that might apply to folks struggling in bright and snowy conditions.

I was also fairly disappointed with the Oly VF-2 in bright sun, but I think that is because I wear glasses. If your eye isn't close against the VF you can get enough light bleeding in to make it sub-optimal.

13. RedNumber5

RedNumber5 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2010
    Antioch, CA
    I don't think anyone should get down on you for what you experienced with your G1. After all these cameras aren't perfect and won't work in every kind of situation imaginable. Just wondering what lens did you have on there? Would have sunglasses made it easier to see? If you did take any pictures did they come out or were they just overexposed. I'm just wondering what could have caused both viewfinders not to work.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    I own a GF1 with EVF & a G1, it seems as though we've had snow on the ground every day since the holididays. I can't say I've run into any difficulty at all.

Were you shooting legacy glass wide open???

Did you try putting the kit zoom or pancake on the body?

Very very curious.....

15. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I sorta understand, in very bright sunlight the LCD on the GF1 is nearly useless and the EV, while better than the LCD for framing, it is difficult to make out details. For me this is fine, I know the shot I want, so I frame and shoot. But if I was shooting people, it would be difficult to see if they were smiling on a wide group shot, under bright conditions. A lot of the problem comes from "light leaks" from the top (between the viewfinder and the eye) and a shade (hand) helps with this aspect.

I have found nothing is as good as a optical SLR/dSLR under bright conditions. As you are used to SLR optical viewing performance I recommend you move to a larger dSLR which has similar if not identical optical viewing performance as your film SLR(s).

I know that many will slam me as a heathen for the recommendation ... but, (the big but), there isn't any camera made today that can satisfy the needs and desires of every photographer. I share a similar history of decades of film SLR usage. I used to be a news photog so I shot a ton of film nearly everyday. When I held my very first dSLR (20D) ... I felt as if I was back home ... the viewing, handling, performance ... practically every physical aspect of the camera reminded me of my ol' Nikons and photo journalism days.

I think you will be very happy with the optical viewing performance and the speed of the autofocus of modern APC/FF sensored cameras.

Gary

• Like Like x 1
  16. macjansson

macjansson Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2011
    Sweden
    I experience huge problems with most displays when I'm wearing polarized prescription sunglasses. That includes most flatscreen displays as well as credit card readers and pretty much most surfaces that have some sort of plastic cover. Plastic, being a petroleum based material shows a lot of uneven transparency when viewed through polarized lenses.

• Like Like x 2
  17. BrianK

BrianK Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 20, 2011
    Lansing MI
    Example Images

Really boring stuff, nothing unusual. Kit lens 14-42. Aspect Ratio set at 1:1

Same is forecast for Monday AM, ill give it another go then.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

BK

18. joele

joele Mu-43 Regular

Dec 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Generally here in Australia it gets extremely bright (heading into summer) and I am yet to notice a problem with the EVF, the LCD I agree becomes useless if it is too bright... I wonder if it is a problem for people wearing glasses?

19. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    I have used the G1 for over a year now and I got into the habit of shielding the viewfinder's eyepiece with my hand in bright light situations. Oh, and I don't even wear glasses (yet :frown:). In lower light situations the EVF maintains its brightness so it's much easier to view. I must say that the GH2 is better in this respect, I hardly ever shield the EVF from light entering into the eyepiece.

20. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I've shot several snow pictures with the G1 and had no problems. On the contrary I found it much better to use in the snow than my previous film cameras. And I wear glasses and have 56 year old eyes (and unfortunately a matching body).

I shoot almost exclusively in aperture priority mode and just make +-EV and f-changes 98% of the time.

• Like Like x 1