It's time to update the F 1.8 Primes...

Real Name
Ovidiu
After Panasonic updated their 45-200mm and 100-300mm to Mark II with weather sealing after introducing the decently priced 12-60mm f 3.5-5.6 weather sealed as well I think Panasonic is more likely to introduce weather sealed updated 25mm 1.7 and 42.5mm 1.7 ... or am I deluding myself ? :p

It would be nice to see both Panasonic and Olympus introduce weather sealing in their entire camera lineup, from the GF, GX and E-M10 to their high end bodies. That would add another differentiation against APS-C at the lower and mid range and Full Frame at their High End

The current camera market situation should force all brands to throw in everything possible including the kitchen sink if they are to attract old and new customers since the competition of smartphones.

Right now only Panasonic, Olympus and Fujifilm offer cheap weather-sealed lenses, mostly zooms on Micro Four Thirds and mostly primes on Fujifilm. All of this fragmentation and nerfing of cameras and lenses is going to be the downfall of camera manufacturers more then lack of innovation.

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Charlie
No pro stuff for me, ever.
I just want cheap, excellent primes.
A wide, a normal, a medium tele, and a super tele.
Still waiting on the super tele....

Moula

Mu-43 Regular
Nope, they are big, "clumsy" and expensive. I want cheerful, weatherproofed, cheap(ish) and small enough to stuff the "holy" trinity in a pocket as a boon... :)
Yep. Small weather proof affordable 10 + 17 + 45 on small weather proof body with EVF and tilting screen. Pro lenses are HUGE and expensive.

JonSnih

Mu-43 Regular
I doubt an update will occur. The incentive is to make the consumer spend up to the 1.2 Pro lenses. Olympus seems dogged that waterproofing is not for lower end consumers.
F1.2 primes are hardly appealling to people who came to m4/3 for its size and compactness. But I can't see many people would buy again the same primes just for WS if optical formula stays the same. At least my 17mm f1.8 (made in China) would be a hot candidate for optical redesign for sure. Other F1.8 primes are known for very good IQ.

I would rather see f1.4 primes which can fill in the missing FL gaps in Oly lens lineup - a fast and WS HQ lens in size and weight of Sigma 56mm f1.4 or even PL 25mm f1.4 would be great.
14mm f1.4 ?
21mm f1.4 ?

RS86

Mu-43 Veteran
After Panasonic updated their 45-200mm and 100-300mm to Mark II with weather sealing after introducing the decently priced 12-60mm f 3.5-5.6 weather sealed as well I think Panasonic is more likely to introduce weather sealed updated 25mm 1.7 and 42.5mm 1.7 ... or am I deluding myself ? :p
They weather-sealed the 25mm f/1.4 just a while ago so maybe.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom