It's time to update the F 1.8 Primes...

zensu

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Bobby
Olympus is coming out with new Pro lenses and yet they have a superb set of Premium lenses still available, say the superb F 1.8 series of primes. I think it's time to upgrade these lenses to be more Pro like, weather sealing, pull back focus clutch, L-Fn button, etc. I realize they would cost more but the Pro lenses are way more expensive and the F 1.8s' could be a money maker for Olympus.
What do you guys and gals think?

I think that is a pretty much agreed upon consensus from many if not most mft users.

They could take the existing optical formulas, seal them and design them like this:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I think there would be a good number of people that would trade in their existing lenses for the new ones.

Moula

Mu-43 Regular
Weather sealing would be enough. But in that case I'd be looking for small weather sealed body with tilting screen and EVF (either E-M10-IV or Pen-F-II).

And I'm still hoping for compact and somewhat affordable rectilinear 10 mm (or 9 mm).

JDS

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David Schultz
Totally agree- the 75mm is already "Pro" in terms of optics and build. If they add the focus clutch and weather sealing and call it a Pro version (even if they jack up the price by $50-100 or so), I would swap it. Same for the 17, it's mostly there (mine is a Vietnam built lens and I'm completely happy with the optics).

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
Olympus is coming out with new Pro lenses and yet they have a superb set of Premium lenses still available, say the superb F 1.8 series of primes. I think it's time to upgrade these lenses to be more Pro like, weather sealing, pull back focus clutch, L-Fn button, etc. I realize they would cost more but the Pro lenses are way more expensive and the F 1.8s' could be a money maker for Olympus.
What do you guys and gals think?
I would love to see it too, but like @Aristophanes, I have my doubts that Olympus would do it. Probably not economically feasible and they don't want to make them too competitive with the Pro line lenses. Still, I wish they would. Would be a good match for the weather-sealed EM5 II or III.

If you need my vote, you got it! :)

The cheap f1.8 primes are an incentive to buy into the system.
I agree 100%. Many people get into the system bc they know they can get a great camera (~1000), a great fast zoom (~600), and a prime or two (~400) for well under the cost of a full-frame body alone. Then you extract money from them with the premium lenses as they search for bokeh or better AF or whatever. However, this target market for this budget/small frame cameras is dwindling more and more because of smartphones.

Olympus is a niche company and m43 is a niche product in the US at least. I think Oly would do well to lean into the niche even more. For me some ultra-fast zooms would be desirable even if they aren't small. Many would pay $1000-1500 for a 14-25mm f1.8 and similarly for 25-50 on an pro body with lens stabilization. If they then focussed on MFT's advantages with their bodies (video and small size) with boosted frame rates and bit rate options, improved continuous autofocus, improved audio preamps, improved tethered shooting/filming with mobile devices they could come back to relevance.

The computational features (live composite, pro capture, hi res, etc.) and stabilization they add are great, but if Oly don't heavily market these features they don't help increase market share and you basically just give it away to people that would buy the camera anyway. SPECS get headlines, drive marketing and ultimately market share and this is what Sony has capitalized on for years--high megapixel, slow motion, high ISO, number of AF points, dynamic range--even though their cameras are borderline unusable for many with poor ergonomics, menu system, weird button placement, actually not that great autofocus in real world, etc.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I like that they are cheap and fabulous. Leave them alone!
True but a few o-rings here and there to offer better weather resistance would be nice. Heck I might even go in for an even cheaper models that removed the focus ring (AF use only) to make it cheaper and easier to weather-seal. I can then pick my 25/1.8 for normal days or if I am going out in bad weather opt to take the 25/1.8-"WS" model. If it was $100 less than the normal ones I would buy one or two I think. Kind of a silly idea, but then again... hmmmm

Last edited:

threeOh

Mu-43 Regular
WR the best coatings they can use. I don’t need a function button on a lens that does not exist on all my other lenses. Clutch collars I've used are lousy compared to an MF lens (so mount legacy).

hoodlum

Mu-43 Veteran
Olympus has already shown a 12-45 f4 PRO lens is coming and the roadmap does show other F4 zooms. So maybe they are open to slower prime PRO lenses as well. I would like to see a 17.5mm f1.8 with weather sealing and improved optics.

hoggdoc

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Wayne
I would love to see it too, but like @Aristophanes, I have my doubts that Olympus would do it. Probably not economically feasible and they don't want to make them too competitive with the Pro line lenses. Still, I wish they would. Would be a good match for the weather-sealed EM5 II or III.

If you need my vote, you got it! :)
I agree but there is at least one non pro/premium lens in their line up that is weather and dust sealed the 12-50mm f3.5/6.3 Zoom. I bought my M5 Mk I body with this lens as a "KIT" lens but it has turned out to be my favorite lens so far. I wish it was a bit fast on the long end, but with all the features it has it is a great value. So i guess what I'm trying to say they could do what has been suggested if they want and maintain a price point with the Premium series lenses, would it undercut the sales on the Pro series, I think so.

CO_yeti

Mu-43 Regular
No updated needed. If you want pro primes, pay the cost and size/weight tax and get the pro primes. These are just fine. Honestly they are cheap enough that you can bang them around a take small chances in wet conditions.

I was watching the making of Planet Earth II on Netflix and one memorable scene was shot with what I'm 98% sure was the Oly 25mm f1.8 on a drone. These still have a lot of applications.

Aristophanes

Mu-43 Top Veteran
No updated needed. If you want pro primes, pay the cost and size/weight tax and get the pro primes. These are just fine. Honestly they are cheap enough that you can bang them around a take small chances in wet conditions.

I was watching the making of Planet Earth II on Netflix and one memorable scene was shot with what I'm 98% sure was the Oly 25mm f1.8 on a drone. These still have a lot of applications.
A DJI m43 drone filmed the blue whale and calf scene using Olympus 17 and 25mm f1.8s.

Aristophanes

Mu-43 Top Veteran
this way Fuji is lurking at the corner of this road and if Canon‘s M system gets similar sealed lens Olympus can find itself cornered
True. There really is no low-end ILC market. And even higher-end smartphones are weather sealing. It may be that ILC has to universally represent robustness across all brands.

I’d like to see a weather sealed LX100 and Ricoh GR.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom