"It's rainy nights like these that make me dream..."

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by Jamus, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Jamus

Jamus Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2010
    Shot at ISO 400, F11, 5 seconds, with my GF1 and 20mm1.7

Looking back, I think I would have been fine with a larger aperture, but at the time I wasn't sure. She held quite still, however here face did blur some... It wasn't too noticeable, though!

Attached is the original version. As you can see, I cropped quite a bit and made a lot of small adjustments here and there. I wanted to silhouette her as best as possible, yet keep things dark. My workflow is mostly done in Photoshop. Lightroom some, but then I send them over to Photoshop to get the real work done. I tend to use a lot of adjustment layers, each one having slight masking here and there until I get the mix of everything I like. Then after I have it just how I want it, I send it over to Topaz Adjust (I like the way it sharpens things, and gives a very subtle HDR-esque feel), and layer that over the final slightly. That's my usual workflow.

Constructive criticism would be welcomed, let me know what you think!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Jamus, thanks for explaining how it is you got to your final image with this photograph. It's very helpful for me because it helps me to realize that I'll probably never get anything quite like that with my limited arsenal. I'm actually quite serious here. Although I realize that one can achieve superb photos without going to great lengths in post processing, I find it helpful to know the backstory... Then I can take a deep breath and so to myself - "Oh, that's how they managed that!"

I like the photograph very much - the delicate raindrop tracers against that beautiful city night...and the lovely young woman, peering out...looking completely natural, her hands against that glass wall - her face reflecting the light just in the right amount to show her gaze.

Thanks so much, Jamus.
  3. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

A great result and thanks for posting the original - 5 seconds is really stretching the friendship.
  4. Jamus

Jamus Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2010
    Thanks! Yes, Photoshop allows you to do things with your image that could never be done with just a RAW editing program. It's absolutely worth the money if you have enough time to learn it's nooks and crannies.

It's selective, and that's what I like about it. One of the best feelings of accomplishment for me is taking what I took... and turning it into what my imagination saw. It makes the time worth it in the end. :)

Indeed it was, but luckily we got it to work! This was the first and only shot, too.