1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

It's official! The Fujifilm X10

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Yotsuba, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Yotsuba

Yotsuba Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2010
    Singapore
  2. Yotsuba

Yotsuba Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2010
    Singapore
    The Fuji Guys on Youtube

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj25re-1UpM]Fuji Guys - Fujifilm X10 Part 1 - First Look - YouTube[/ame]

3. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Interesting, but my first impression is that by trying to stick to the X100 aesthetic/form things have got a little muddled. It just doesn't quite work.

But then I'm picky...

4. Pim

Pim Mu-43 Regular

Looks promising, I especially like the manual zoom set up (never been a big fan of motorized zooms, much prefer the control of a zoom ring). This could be a candidate for an all-in-one back up camera, on those days I don't want to carry the PEN system with me. All depends on the IQ of course, but specifications are certainly interesting.

5. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    2/3" sensor ? That's a compact disguised as a CSC. Looks good, but heavy and big for its performance level. A Canon S95 looks more attractive as a "go everywhere" camera, there's no real carrying benefit in leaving the :43: home compared to this one.

My (admittedly, knee jerk) opinion.

Cheers,

6. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    2/3 sensor is still bigger than 1/1.7" sensors. Looks good for an alternative to an LX5/XZ1.

7. Pim

Pim Mu-43 Regular

Yes, it's bigger than S95, but that camera does not interest me (too little in the way of direct controls, and actually just a bit too small for my taste), and any M4/3 with just one lens will probably not offer same combination of portability, lens reach and 2.0-2.8 aperture. So yes I agree with Djarum, this could be a good alternative for the Samsung and Olympus. Anyway, let's wait and see when it actually hits the shops.

8. I wonder if every advanced camera from Fuji is going to have the same derivative looks from now on. It works on the X100, but done too often it could become passe real quick.

9. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I love the looks, but given the size, the Pen Mini makes more sense for me (already have a 14mm sitting here).

10. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    Fuji trying to ride the x100 hype with a p&s.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I miss the silver from the X100....and the bigger sensor. Why didn't they just make a dumbed down X100?

Depending on how well it works, I'd consider it.

And dude, I hate the word as much as the next guy, but bokeh it NOT pronounced bokay.

12. joele

joele Mu-43 Regular

Dec 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    hey it even has a class leading 85% frame coverage in the viewfinder

13. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Hmmm... wonder what a m4/3 Fuji would/will look like. I care nothing what my camera looks like, of course, but if it is all black and retro black sexy like that....

14. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    :rofl: :horse:

i liek the x10 though... looks like it's my next camera IF the AF speed is improved and the hi iso noise is nearly as good as the x100

15. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    But the Pen is my backup system for when I don't want to carry the DSLR:rofl::rofl: I have an Optio I-10 as a backup for the Pen, my cell phone as back up for the Optio, and a pencil to back up my phone.

• Like Like x 2
  16. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    :rofl:

But, do you carry a..... pencil sharpener?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    does the optical viewfinder zoom? or are there projected brightlines that zoom? I can't find any mention of how an optical viewfinder works with a zoom lens.

18. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I'm having trouble wrapping my head around how big this sensor really is. A 2/3 sensor is the same thing as a 1/1.5 sensor unless I have absolutely NO math skills at all. If you look at the diagram linked below, you can see that there's roughly no difference between a 1/1.7 and 1/1.6 sensor, the size used in most of the S95, XZ1 type cameras and the slightly larger one used in the LX5 to provide its multi-aspect functionality. A 1/1.5 sensor would seem to me to be VERY similar to the 1/1.6 - the progression looks like it would be a VERY small difference.

http://static.onemansblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Camera-Sensor-Size-Comparison.png

And yet people are making a big deal about this. A guy on another forum is trying to convince me that this 2/3 sensor has 25-30% more surface area than the 1/1.7 and does some math to back it up, but I'm having a LOT of trouble visualizing this, relative to this chart.

So is this Fuji sensor really notably larger than the LX5, S95 sensor or is it essentially the same or just a tiny bit bigger? I doubt I'm interested in the camera regardless because I sold an LX5 for lack of use (despite REALLY liking that camera a lot) and I don't see that I'd end up using this any more than I used that. But if the sensor really is notably larger/better than the LX5 class, it at least sounds like a fairly notable step forward and an intermediate format that could be really useful in one context or another.

Can anyone explain this to me/us?

-Ray

19. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Check this out.

File:Sensor sizes overlaid inside.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Draw a line half way the height and width of the 4/3 sensor. It's a quarter the surface area of a 4/3 sensor. But before everyone goes all crazy saying that's too small. That's 30% bigger than a 1/1.7 sensor.

I for one, like it. Obviously, it depends on price. If it's priced the same as a S95/LX5 than it's a winner. If it's $600, not so much.

20. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Ray,

I guess I'm just saying every little bit helps.

1/1.7 = .58 inches

1/1.5 = .66667 inches

Of course, this is diagonal size. The 2/3rds sensor just in diagonal size is 14 percent bigger. Doing my own calculations, from a sensor area point of view, it is about 30 percent bigger. Does it really matter? Probably not, maybe, who knows?

Jason