1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

It's official, I don't like the OM-D

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by stratokaster, Jun 22, 2012.

1. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    The camera itself is nice and its image quality is outstanding, although I have serious doubts about the workmanship (my sample has noticeable casting defects on the upper case and too much glue where the rubber material is glued to the grip of the camera). But it's okay, by now I'm used to expensive products having various manufacturing defects.

The thing that is killing the camera for me: the location of the rear control dial is idiotic. If I'm making adjustments while looking through the viewfinder, I always poke myself in my right eye. Also I miss various switches of the GH2. I hope Panasonic GH3 will be awesome, because otherwise I see no suitable camera to replace my GH2 (not that it is in need of replacing, but still).

• Like Like x 7
  2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I can't wait to see how this thread pans out....:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Get yer popcorn ready. :popcorm2:

4. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    It's OK not to like it, it's not compulsory! What suits one person may not suit another and personal handling is one of the most overlooked aspects of choosing a camera. :smile:

• Like Like x 4
  5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I love the OMD...that other people own :)

Still waiting for the next Pen.

• Like Like x 2
  6. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    x2, ditto, amen brutha...

E-P3 any day... and waiting for the next version with SOME sharing of technology.

• Like Like x 1
  7. stratokaster

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I am really surprised myself because I expected to like the camera (after all, I loved my E-P1) and hate its kit zoom. But It turned out to be the other way around: I don't like the OM-D at all while its kit lens is surprisingly useful.

• Like Like x 2
  8. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    That's OK, I've hated every Panasonic camera I've tried. Now the universe is balanced. :smile:

• Like Like x 3
  9. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I'm going to the ocean in about 10 days, so the weather sealing is calling me, but I still think a $200 EPM1 will be just fine in place of a $1,000 weather sealed EM5 :biggrin:

Sorry it didn't work out. Hope the GH3 is all that for you!

10. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Personally I found the feel of Panasonic cameras after GF-1 to be pretty horrible. They seem like legos about to snap apart and they certainly creak like legos that aren't fit just right.

However, I do love their lenses and TVs. In terms of build, the OM-D doesn't feel quite as nice as my NEX-7 but that could just be a density issue. I certainly can't find any real faults on the build quality except the slightly squishy buttons. I would gladly have squishy buttons though if it means weather proofing.

• Like Like x 1
  11. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Maybe you should look through the viewfinder with your right eye instead? :rofl:

Good for you for making up your own mind about it... in camera-land as with many things it's very easy to get caught up in the hype of the latest and greatest. I think it's important to take a step back from that and evaluate from a more objective, less excited perspective. The OM-D seems to be a gem of a camera from Olympus but if it doesn't work for you then there's no reason to force a fit.

12. stratokaster

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Well, this is an exaggeration. GF2 and GF3 are the same as the GF1 in terms of build and G-series cameras are in fact very sturdy. Panasonic uses plastic shells over sturdy metal frames, while Olympus uses thin metal (similar in thickness and durability to tin cans) over completely plastic bodies. I know because I disassembled several PENs myself and was really appalled by what I saw inside.

13. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I forgot to ask -- are you going to sell yours? How much? :biggrin:

14. stratokaster

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I will just return it to the shop :biggrin:

15. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Does it look new?

:popcorm2:

16. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    There's a small hairline scratch that you can see if you hold it up at a 37.5 degree angle underneath a black light.

17. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    Cloverdale,CA
    I would like to think I could be so resolute about a product that delivers the results but is somewhat annoying to use. I really can't imagine that the camera ergonomics could approach that threshold for me. Build quality, now that's a different issue - I'll return anything in a heartbeat if it's not put together with some care.

I am so curious what I'll think of the the E-M5 when I get it. I have the E-PL2 which is very similar in size and ergonomics but I don't currently use the EVF.

Your opinion will certainly resonate and is well stated.

• Like Like x 1
  18. 6x6

6x6 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2011
    Stratocaster, can you please post some pics from those defects?

19. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    Alan
    :eek: What heresy, Dave in Wales was castigated for such utterences on the EM5 apression society website
    Thou shall be caste into the wilderness with your GH2(or 3) and continue to capture great images

20. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I'm tempted by the IQ, but still not liking the form factor... I may still try it though.