It's now called DSLM

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by m43shooter, Jul 19, 2012.

1. m43shooter

m43shooter Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 15, 2012
    Belgium
    Phil
    Yesterday I looked at an interview published by Cameralabs. A Panasonic rep showed the Panasonic G5. During the interview he told that Panasonic invited other brands to start marketing the term "DSLM" for cameras such as the G5 or OM-D E-M5.

He said that those cameras lean towards SLR the most, offer at least the same set of rich features packed in a smaller body with m43 sensor.

So perhaps we're going to see the term "DSLM" surface at regular base?

2. m43shooter

m43shooter Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 15, 2012
    Belgium
    Phil
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Imaging Resource was using SLD (single lens direct) which was good, but I quite like the DSLM moniker.

4. pheaukus

pheaukus Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2012
    I for one like DSLM.

M stands for matured. :biggrin:

5. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I prefer to call it Mirrorless System Cameras as B&H does it...

• Like Like x 2
  6. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    I prefer the term CSC for Compact System Camera. I don't think 'mirrorless' should make it into the acronym. In 50 years, my guess is no camera will use a mirror, as EVF technology will have gone on to equal an OVF in bright situations and will blow it out of the water in dim light. Why have an acronym that mentions what the format DOESN'T have in relation to an existing product?

• Like Like x 1
  7. pheaukus

pheaukus Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2012
    Because not having a mirror has become an improvement?.

8. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Close but no cigar.

It still retains the "mirrorless" part. Which is like calling an automobile a "horseless vehicle".

We have to come up with something else.

• Like Like x 1
  9. pheaukus

pheaukus Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2012
    What is the antonym of 'reflex'? :wink:

10. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    You know, let's brainstorm here. No mention of 60 years old technology at all.

Why not play with the term "Direct"? Why not Direct Sensor Exposure Camera System? DSECS, for short.

:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  11. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    And for quite a few years, they were called "horseless carriages." The naming will evolve over time. Maybe one day the term "mirrorless" will be unnecessary, but for right now it's probably the crucial distinction between our cameras and DSLRs.

• Like Like x 1
  12. pheaukus

pheaukus Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2012
    WYSIWYGCS?

(The What You See Is What You Get Camera System)

13. sprocket87

sprocket87 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2011
    CSC seems to be picking up steam. I've been looking for a good slim bag for my OM-D + iPad and a lot of manufacturers have sections of their websites or product descriptions that use the CSC term.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    I propose DSLH, because these things definitely don't appear to have any sort of equine components.

• Like Like x 2
  15. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
  16. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Makes sense to me. :biggrin:

17. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Paralysis. We don't want to go there.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Tincam

Tincam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2012
    Iowa
    Matt
    Why use "SL" at all? All digital cameras use a single lens (aside from this one). Why do we need to indicate that when it's always the case?

19. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    CSC is perfect, but I suppose this means you're lumping a GF3 in with a OM-D, which seems odd when they're so very different. Then again, DSLR can refer from anything to a Canon 1000D to a Mamiya Leaf. Camera types are broad, we know this, we don't need more types within the types. This is like calling certain compact cameras "bridge" cameras just because they're expensive. You can't remove the lens, therefore it's a compact camera. Very silly.

I suppose the marketers think making it sound/look more like 'DSLR' will make it seem more high end. I think this is the wrong way to go about it. To the ordinary pleb, noticing that there's an 'M' instead of an 'R' will draw attention to the difference, and make them worry when perhaps previously they would've just picked the camera up and been none the wiser. How many people, out of those with only the most casual interest in photography, actually know that some cameras have a mirror in them? Would they be able to tell you that it flips up and down each time you take a shot? Would they be able to say why this is? I doubt it.

• Like Like x 2