1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

IT'S HERE!!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by CWRailman, Jun 5, 2015.

1. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    I ordered my E-M10 from Best Buy in Scottsdale, Arizona on Monday and picked it up today. (Under another thread I had mentioned this sale price.) This was a first for me in several ways. In the past when I have had to order a camera from a store because they were out of stock, I got a message on or around the day it was supposed to be delivered saying that there were none available and my money was being refunded. Over the years that had happened to me three times and I was somewhat prepared for it to happen again.

Let me say that I am a looooong time Pentax user with a K-110, K-5, K-5IIs two Q7’s and a bunch of film cameras in my photographic tool box as I like to call it. So, I was interested to see how Olympus presented their camera.

I liked the classy packaging. The black and dark grey box and wrappers for the lens and camera body looked upscale. I made note of the DPReview Gold certificate prominently attached to the corner of the box top. Nice touch!

I do not like that the instruction book relies on the user going to the CD for so much info. One item I looked up in the book referenced me to page 73 and when I went to page 73 in the book it was a different language and that did not look like they were discussing ISO settings. I was also a bit concerned when I inserted the battery and attempted to close the battery compartment that the latching mechanism was not sprung and I had to purposely slide the latch closed. I know in my haste I am going to improperly shut that some day.

I think we’re all little kids when it comes to getting a new camera and want to play so I was pleased that the battery had sufficient charge to allow me to set the date and time and take several quick shots before it required a recharge.

As when I used the demo unit for a while, my initial reaction is that it is a quality item that feels really good in my hands and I am looking forward to having that darn lazy battery charged so I can start using the bugger. Well, it’s Friday so maybe I’ll shower and go out for dinner with my lady and when I come home the battery will be ready. Now that the camera is here I will be ordering several Wasabi back up batteries and one of their more portable wall mount chargers.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Your bound to enjoy it. I haven't enjoyed a camera this much since the Canon F-1 back in the 70's. Once you start figuring out a few things there will be some Aha! moments. The manual has been a huge source of frustration for many users. It's such a shame that they can design such a great camera, but suck at writing a manual for it. Give this Kindle book a try and it will help...maybe not with everything, but still it's worth the 6 bucks..http://www.amazon.com/Supercharging...553064&sr=8-1&keywords=supercharging+the+om10

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Lots of Pentax users on this forum. Mu43, and for me especially Olympus, reminds me of those small Pentax SLRs like the MX.

4. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    I came from Pentax also, and I must say they were not much better, if any, than Olympus in writing understandable instruction manuals. Thank goodness for this forum and the internet. You'd think somebody at one of those companies would get an English-first-languge person who is good an explaining things to help with the manual. But you'd be wrong.
    I am very happy with my E-M5 and lenses. JPEGs are fabulous. Art filters are fun. The camera is just plain neat. I do not, repeat - not - miss my Pentax one bit. (Nor the Nikon prior).

5. CWRailman

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    Thank you for the info. If the book is ever available in had copy I will be very interested.

6. CWRailman

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    Earlier this year I sold my last Pentax MX which was black. That is why I purchased a black E-M10. It reminds me of that MX as well as the original Olympus OM-1 which I had an opportunity to use during a trip to Colorado in 1984.

I picked up my E-M10 yesterday and today, despite the fact that I did not yet have filters to protect the lens and I have not yet configured it to my liking, I took it on an excursion to a local Mud Mania event for kids. I posted two of the images I shot using the 40-150mm lens in the E-M10 Share Your Photo's Thread.

7. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    It isn't but is still worth getting. The part on initially setting up your E-M10 is easily worth it. I also wish it was in print but am happy to have it loaded onto my computer regardless.

8. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    I would not suggest the printed Olympus's manual. Instead copy the pdf file to your computer and if you a pdf program that will allow you to delete pages, delete all of the foreign language page that do not apply to you. You can then copy this to tablets, phones etc. Then use the search function to find what you after in the manual. If you have a good understanding of photography 90% of everything you need is really in the manual - it's just a matter of finding it - and search helps with. A lot of the same information applies to all Olympus m4/3 setup and menus such as the SCP, which on your camera is already set up as the default. Just press the OK button and look at all of the change you can make through the SCP!

The one thing that is not in the manual is how to best set the camera for you, especially considering all of the possible changes that can be made. I'd suggest just shooting with the camera till you get to know it before deciding on any customizations of buttons, dials, levers, etc. You may find things work better than originally expected after you're used to it.

9. CWRailman

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    Thanks for all the suggestions on getting familiar with the E-M10. I have and will continue to review all the sites and aids that you folks have taken the time to suggest. In addition to all the suggestions, while the site noted below is focused on the E-M5, I found that most of the suggestions also applied to the E-M10. Pentax users might note the suggestion on reprogramming the four way controller which allows you to assign functions to those buttons similar to the four way rocker functions on Pentax cameras. Making such adjustments facilitates easier transitions from one camera make to another.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/9115179666/user-guide-getting-the-most-out-of-the-olympus-e-m5#UI3

10. CWRailman

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    I am really liking the tactile feedback I get from my E-M10 and 14-42mm lens when I’m using the EVF and I press the shutter release. Feels just like one of the old SLR cameras. I am also developing a liking for the E-M10’s method of allowing me to manually adjusting the focus after the Autofocus does it’s thing and prior to depressing the shutter button. Sweet! While that is available on other camera’s it just seems to feel a bit better on the E-M10. While the 14-42mm lens is a non mechanical focus by wire, for some reason it feels more precise and less chance to drift than other manufactures lenses.

11. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    Denny, you can read Kindle books on a PC using the free Kindle for PC software. In other words, you do NOT have to have a Kindle ereader or any other separate device. You can download the software here:

http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Digital-Services-Inc-Download/dp/B00UB76290

Then you register with Amazon as a Kindle user and buy any ebook (like the very good Supercharging the E-M10 book) you want. You then read it on the PC.

Just want to mention that I am also an old Pentax MX user and I also an Olympus 4/3 DSLR user. I bought an E-M10 about a week ago and am happy to be back in the Olympus camp (I also use Canon DSLRs). The E-M10 for sure reminds me of my old MX!

12. Armoured

Armoured Mu-43 Rookie

May 5, 2015
    I don't know what was on my CD, buy you can download the manual in English-only at the link below. I even checked page 73 of my manual, it is indeed about ISO sensitivity. (Note I'm not sure the link is the same version of the manual, page numbers could have changed, etc., but at least it will be English only.)

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_support_manuals.asp?id=1651

It looks like you can buy a printed copy of the manual from Olympus for ten bucks, too - postage included.

13. CWRailman

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    I had downloaded the English PDF version from the CD to my computer as well as my Windows based cell phone however I do like to have a hard copy for times when I do not have my computer on or just to peruse at my lesure so I ordered one. We'll see how long it takes to come in. The info on my cell phone is when I am out on the road and I REALLY need to reference something. Otherwise studying the text on such small screens strains my eye balls.

14. Armoured

Armoured Mu-43 Rookie

May 5, 2015
    I don't like printed manuals as it's just more clutter for me (and I'm better at finding files/downloads than stuff in my house) - but I keep files like this on a tablet which is easier to read than phone. Also makes it practical for them to update when firmware changes.

It's reasonable of Olympus to offer them for $10 though, and to each his own - good to have the option either way.

• Like Like x 1
  15. There are times when a printed manual is just more convenient and quicker. But as you get more comfortable with the camera and get through the steeper part of the learning curve, and when menu structure and SCP are more familiar, you won't need it as much. At this point you start to marvel at how much you can do...and how many options you have. Pretty hard to find a camera that packs as much inside at this price point.

16. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    Thanks for pointing out that you can buy the printed E-M10 manual, Armoured. I never noticed that before and might take advantage. I agree that it is nice to have a printed manual sometimes.

Meanwhile, just want to mention that the Amazon Kindle for PC software is free - they WANT to sell ebooks more than they want to sell Kindle devices. This is actually very useful because some books are only available in Kindle ebook format, like the Supercharging book for the E-M10 (I think that is the only way to get it legally). Of course, it isn't a printed version, but if you want to read the book, that's the way you have to do it.

17. Armoured

Armoured Mu-43 Rookie

May 5, 2015
    Glad that helped. My computers don't even have CD drives anymore so I had to download!

18. CWRailman

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    It’s been a bit over a month since I got my first E-M10 and two lens kit. That original body died after 6 days but was replaced a few days later by Best Buy. Since then, in addition to the two kit zoom lenses I have acquired the 20mm, f1.7 Panasonic and the Oly f1.8, 45mm lenses. Last week I took the E-M10 along with me when I did a photo shoot for a local company. I used it and the 40-150mm zoom for the employee head shots which are used on the employees business cards as well as other monthly publications. I especially liked the way the E-M10 locks on the eyes. It did have a bit of a problem with those wearing glasses but I cannot fault the camera for that.

I have thoroughly enjoyed the tactile feeling I get from the camera when I trip the shutter. It does remind me of shooting with a SLR which Is a feeling I have not gotten from other cameras. I’ve enjoyed the experience and as a result just purchased another E-M10 to add to my tool box of cameras though this time I got the silver body coming.

19. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    For E-M10 tips, I suggest Gary Ayton's site and wiki. When I first got interested in MFT, before I bought my EM5, I pored over all the sites I could find and his stood out for the breadth and depth of information. A gold mine.

Here's his EM10 setup tips. http://www.ayton.id.au/wiki/doku.php?id=photo:olympusem10_settings

His photography wiki site. Recommended.
    http://www.ayton.id.au/wiki/doku.php?id=start

I downloaded the PDFs for the EM5 and EM1 manuals and loaded them onto my iPad. I used to print them out, but later felt it wasn't worth the paper. Their manuals, like so many that come with cameras nowadays, just tell you what the menus say and what the buttons do. They don't tell you why they do what they do, which would be really helpful. You often have to look for other books and sites to get that kind of information. Darrell Young has books on the EM1 and EM5 II, but doesn't have one yet for the EM10 (www.rockynook.com). I have the one for the EM1 and find it very useful.