It's getting better!

Alanroseman

Super Moderator Emeritus
Thankfully the rain has stopped. We even worked in the garden today for a few hours... got me to thinking about the winter just passed.

Grabbed the G1, did a winter / spring comparo... thought I'd share.

See, it's getting better!

January 2011 - GF1 - 14-45 kit zoom

House_Side_W.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

May 2011 -G1 - 14-45 kit zoom

House_Side_Spring.jpg

Hikari

Mu-43 All-Pro
But with all this rain, you are going to have to go out and shovel all that grass...

Alanroseman

Super Moderator Emeritus
Hi Hikari,

My hedge clipper has gone missing....

My eldest son in law is a suspect...

My lawn has some serious holes...

Has the "ice out" happened up there in Maine?

Hikari

Mu-43 All-Pro
The ice has finally gone. Fortunately, it has only rained once this month--it started on the first and is expected to stop tomorrow. Tomorrow, tomorrow, the sun will come out tomorrow. But it hasn't been too buggy.

Your foliage is certainly thicker than ours. The woods are starting to fill out and our view of the neighbors and road is disappearing.

Our apples are in bloom. Last year we were hit with a late frost and we had no fruit. I am more optimistic this year. This will be our second summer in our new home. We inherited three apples and have planted four more and one peach. This is really a beautiful time of year. I just love all the fresh greens with a subtle hazy of color as the trees blossom in the forest.

From the garden today:

Attachments

• garden_today.jpg
    garden_today.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 129

Alanroseman

Super Moderator Emeritus
Hi Hikari,

Beautiful photograph. The north woods are a joy in the spring, no doubt, not for the mayflies it would be indescribably perfect.

I should certainly hope the frost worries are behind all of us in New England at this point. Until yesterday, we had only 84 total hours of clear skies in the month of May. Weather people said it was the lowest total in over 100 years.

Our vegetables are in... some last week, and we worry about rot due to lack of sun and too much rain water.

On a bright note, hummingbirds are visiting our feeder already! Always nice to see. Nice to see you back too.

Cheers, Alan

greyelm

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Malcolm
Here are some similar Birches in 'old' England, last weekend. GF1 + Jupiter-8

GF1J-8Sbirch.jpg

Hikari

Mu-43 All-Pro
Yes, we got our first hummer last weekend. May is a little early for vegetables up here, but we start them inside. We plant them outside in the beginning of June.

The woods are really nice, black flies, poison ivy, and all. I have not had a chance to do any real work on my lot, but I hope to tame the bittersweet over time--nasty stuff. I also need to work on a bad logging job someone did on the property before we bought it.

We are still focusing on the house and garden. We are hoping for a good crop of wild strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries. We planted lingonberry this year. I think we have some blueberry and quince somewhere. Are there male and female quince plants?

But it has been a very gray month. I am sure we have broken a few records not to mention a few spirits. Still, it could be worse, it could be snowing...

Hikari

Mu-43 All-Pro
Birch is a beautiful tree. I have a bunch of young trees pioneering my field--so much nicer than milk weed.

Hikari

Mu-43 All-Pro
There is something really optimistic about planting and tending trees.

GaryAyala

Mu-43 Legend
From my backyard I just harvested some artichokes, tomatos and avocados to go with my dinner ... (I have Hummers all year long and the Raspberries, Blackberries and apples are do well ... the Blueberries are barely hanging in there ... ate a half dozen a week ago ... pretty sad). (Remember, I'm not competitive.)

G

GaryAyala

Mu-43 Legend
Nahh ... pulled the Maple to make room for the Orange, Tangerine and Lemon trees.

G :)

Alanroseman

Super Moderator Emeritus
Gary lucky you... As a gardener I envy your climate. My mint is growing, so we made some Marrocan style mint tea this afternoon. I grow 6 different variety of mint.

Hera.... don't encourage Gary.... he won't stop until he's evacuated us from the NE USA and Canada...

He though it snowed here all year long until he saw the picture in this thread :biggrin:

Hikari

Mu-43 All-Pro
Alan, I don't envy Gary. There are something you just can't get in the tropics. I mean when is the last time he bagged a musk ox or polar bear? And haggis is not a meal he will find in Hawaii.

Alanroseman

Super Moderator Emeritus
Alan, I don't envy Gary. There are something you just can't get in the tropics. I mean when is the last time he bagged a musk ox or polar bear? And haggis is not a meal he will find in Hawaii.

Here's a few more for our bitter lemon buddy.

Fried Clams
Quahogs
Fresh Scup
Blue Crabs
Maple Sugar candy made from hot fresh syrup dropped in the snow
A stand of white birch trees
Striped Bass
Tinker Mackerel
Smelts right out of the net
LOBSTERS - fresh cold Atlantic Ocean lobsters
New England clam boil with fresh Maine steamer clams..

Ahhhh Gary. Go ahead have another avocado.... you can't scare us anymore...it's nearly summertime (that will be July 4th in Maine) :smile:

Latest threads

Top Bottom