1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

It's getting better!

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Alanroseman, May 21, 2011.

1. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Thankfully the rain has stopped. We even worked in the garden today for a few hours... got me to thinking about the winter just passed.

Grabbed the G1, did a winter / spring comparo... thought I'd share.

See, it's getting better!

January 2011 - GF1 - 14-45 kit zoom

House_Side_W.

May 2011 -G1 - 14-45 kit zoom

House_Side_Spring.

• Like Like x 13
  2. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    But with all this rain, you are going to have to go out and shovel all that grass...

3. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Hikari,

My hedge clipper has gone missing....

My eldest son in law is a suspect...

My lawn has some serious holes...

Has the "ice out" happened up there in Maine?

4. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    The ice has finally gone. Fortunately, it has only rained once this month--it started on the first and is expected to stop tomorrow. Tomorrow, tomorrow, the sun will come out tomorrow. But it hasn't been too buggy.

Your foliage is certainly thicker than ours. The woods are starting to fill out and our view of the neighbors and road is disappearing.

Our apples are in bloom. Last year we were hit with a late frost and we had no fruit. I am more optimistic this year. This will be our second summer in our new home. We inherited three apples and have planted four more and one peach. This is really a beautiful time of year. I just love all the fresh greens with a subtle hazy of color as the trees blossom in the forest.

From the garden today:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  5. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Hikari,

Beautiful photograph. The north woods are a joy in the spring, no doubt, not for the mayflies it would be indescribably perfect.

I should certainly hope the frost worries are behind all of us in New England at this point. Until yesterday, we had only 84 total hours of clear skies in the month of May. Weather people said it was the lowest total in over 100 years.

Our vegetables are in... some last week, and we worry about rot due to lack of sun and too much rain water.

On a bright note, hummingbirds are visiting our feeder already! Always nice to see. Nice to see you back too.

Cheers, Alan

6. greyelm

greyelm Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2010
    London
    Malcolm
    Here are some similar Birches in 'old' England, last weekend. GF1 + Jupiter-8

GF1J-8Sbirch.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Yes, we got our first hummer last weekend. May is a little early for vegetables up here, but we start them inside. We plant them outside in the beginning of June.

The woods are really nice, black flies, poison ivy, and all. I have not had a chance to do any real work on my lot, but I hope to tame the bittersweet over time--nasty stuff. I also need to work on a bad logging job someone did on the property before we bought it.

We are still focusing on the house and garden. We are hoping for a good crop of wild strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries. We planted lingonberry this year. I think we have some blueberry and quince somewhere. Are there male and female quince plants?

But it has been a very gray month. I am sure we have broken a few records not to mention a few spirits. Still, it could be worse, it could be snowing...

• Like Like x 1
  8. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Birch is a beautiful tree. I have a bunch of young trees pioneering my field--so much nicer than milk weed.

9. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    There is something really optimistic about planting and tending trees.

10. Alan I love the B&W winter shot. It looks like a magical land.

• Like Like x 1
  11. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    From my backyard I just harvested some artichokes, tomatos and avocados to go with my dinner ... (I have Hummers all year long and the Raspberries, Blackberries and apples are do well ... the Blueberries are barely hanging in there ... ate a half dozen a week ago ... pretty sad). (Remember, I'm not competitive.)

G

• Like Like x 2
  12. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Nice to know.

BTW, do you tap your maple trees for syrup?

13. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Nahh ... pulled the Maple to make room for the Orange, Tangerine and Lemon trees.

G :)

14. Gary lucky you... As a gardener I envy your climate. My mint is growing, so we made some Marrocan style mint tea this afternoon. I grow 6 different variety of mint.

15. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    All that citrus will give you a sore on your lip.....

Maple syrup on the other hand.... (Thanks Hikari)

16. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hera.... don't encourage Gary.... he won't stop until he's evacuated us from the NE USA and Canada...

He though it snowed here all year long until he saw the picture in this thread :biggrin:

17. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Oh how right you are...

18. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Alan, I don't envy Gary. There are something you just can't get in the tropics. I mean when is the last time he bagged a musk ox or polar bear? And haggis is not a meal he will find in Hawaii.

19. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Here's a few more for our bitter lemon buddy.

Fried Clams
    Quahogs
    Fresh Scup
    Blue Crabs
    Maple Sugar candy made from hot fresh syrup dropped in the snow
    A stand of white birch trees
    Striped Bass
    Tinker Mackerel
    Smelts right out of the net
    LOBSTERS - fresh cold Atlantic Ocean lobsters
    New England clam boil with fresh Maine steamer clams..

Ahhhh Gary. Go ahead have another avocado.... you can't scare us anymore...it's nearly summertime (that will be July 4th in Maine) :smile:

20. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    That's right. One day. And it will probably rain!