It's done! The final image of my Beauty for all Seasons photoshoot is done! Come see!

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by jambaj0e, Apr 1, 2013.

1. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    I'm happy to say that I was able to finally finish getting around to retouch the Winter look for my Beauty for All Seasons photoshoot.

8608574429_5c228188c3_h.

Model: Joanne Chiang
    Makeup: Christina Asai
    Hairstylist: Emily Tran
    Assistant: Chris Liang

Shot with the Panasonic GH3 and the Panasonic 35-100mm f/2.8.

Lit with three Einstein strobes. Key is a socked 22" beauty dish on camera axis, pointed down at an angle. The fill is a 64" extreme silver PLM with sock in the same axis and angle as the key, about 2/3 stopped down. The hair light is a 7" gridded reflector from the side.

It's amazing how a handful of new retouching techniques between my first image, Autumn, and this image, Winter, makes a big difference in image quality. That and also a different makeup and hair crew. Love them!

So Spring and Autumn were shot with the GH2 and the Olympus 75mm, while Summer and Winter were shot with the GH3 with the Panasonic 35-100mm f/2.8 zoom. The GH3 is also makes a difference in image quality, as well.

Be sure to check out the other seasons:

Spring

Summer

Autumn

2. shawngibson

shawngibson Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2010
    Wow they're all technically awesome. What were your goals here? As a series I mean. I think they are all very good on a technical level, and you get an A if that was your goal.

My only criticism would be the disconnect from the model, nothing really human, just static composition and great technique.

Are you thinking in terms of words over your work, ie magazines, or are you concerned at all about the model, if she has a personality, or is she just a mannequin at this stage for you?

Excellent work, and you definitely have advanced lighting and technique mastered.

3. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    The model is a manifestation of the seasons as told in beauty and hair. In a way, just like fashion photography (higher end ones, at least), the model is more of a canvas for the beauty and hair, and therefore is not necessary to have a personality, just a "look."

The rule in fashion is the higher end the brand, the less it's about the model's personality and lifestyle, and the more about the clothes and the visual look. The lower the brand, the more it's about personality and lifestyle.

For my Beauty for All Season photoshoot, the hero is the look, the make-up, the hair, the scene. The model holds it all together =)

4. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    Hope that makes sense, in my interpretation for my series here. It is about the static composition, which is why she's laying down in all the shot in the first place =)

5. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I liked the colours in autumn the most!

6. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    Here are four images that show how it came together:

Image 1 is the original.

Fotosiamo-Beauty-for-All-Seasons-1280px-Winter-01-Before.

Image 2 is how it looks after a new head is composited

Fotosiamo-Beauty-for-All-Seasons-1280px-Winter-02-Composite.

Image 3 is how it looks after some liquifying and arm moving has been done, as well as the first round of skin retouching.

Fotosiamo-Beauty-for-All-Seasons-1280px-Winter-03-Progress.

Finally, Image 4 is how everything looks after color correction and other methods of polishing has been done.

Fotosiamo-Beauty-for-All-Seasons-1280px-Winter-04-Final.