It's day 2 and my EM1 II has not stopped working... I like to invite you...

apete

Mu-43 Regular
To be frank the biggest problem for me, at least as of today, is social distancing and lack of sport events. My new EM1 III seems to be bored and can't wait for some action...

Clint

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Clint
I’ll agree to 1, 2,4, 6, and 7. The 2nd hand market does not interest me. Getting facts from Olympus and JIP will happen. It will all be biased towards trying to keep as many customers and as many sales as they can garner.

This is the 3rd time for Olympus and me. 2001/2 when they quite the SLR business, 2010 after the announcement of the E-5 being announced and the probability this would the last DSLR they produce, and now. Each time there was a promise of continuation. Sooooo….

Now do I get another OM-D E-M1 Mark II for $1,199 or an OM-D E-M1 Mark III for $1,599?

Last edited:

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
Yes, that's true - but it's quite a smaller company than it was in its Sony days. After the JIP transfer, they pulled back into just the Japanese market. They did not return to the US until a year or so later and today are only selling in limited markets. However, I think that VAIO are the only example of a business surviving JIP !
......The bottom line is that the camera market as a whole is in a much more dire position than the PC market, and so using VAIO as a proxy for saying that Olympus can/will survive JIP's ownership doesn't exactly translate 1:1. If JIP had done this previously with another camera manufacturer, then it'd be a different story, but unfortunately this is their first foray in to the camera market......
I have no idea if JIP has done this with another camera company and agree that cameras and computers are very different in to many ways.

BUT...

JIP and Olympus have a history. And that history is ITX:
On September 1, 2012, private equity firm Japan Industrial Partners acquired electrical equipment company ITX Corp. from Olympus Corporation
And ITX Corp still exists. So Olympus I personally, am a little hopeful. Yes they could retract into the "home" market and maybe if there is anything I want to add to my collect I may habe to buy used or off eBay from a Japanese reseller, it wouldn't be the first time.

hoggdoc

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Wayne
Well, the info that the community have dug up on JIP is I think very useful and definitely informs my view. I started off thinking the move might mean that Olympus were passing the camera business as a going concern to a new company who'd continue the development and marketing of the brand and the products. But it's clear that JIP is not that sort of company - they do financial engineering and in themselves are pretty small.

If there were a large-enough corporation willing to take Olympus Imaging on (and it would need to be a large corporation given the size of the current business and the current yearly losses), then that's what Olympus would have done. Instead, they are using a company with a track-record of close-downs. Clearly this is about Olympus disposing of the Imaging Division with the minimum of pain to their board and investors. My view is that it's the end of Olympus as we know it. I really hope I'm wrong, but I don't think we'll see another new product off them, and I think it's 75% likely that manufacturing will be terminated within months.

Of course, the existing cameras and lenses are still great and they still produce excellent images in the right hands - but if you're buying more Oly gear now, I think you need to be realistic about the future.
I totally agree and have said this since the day the announcement was made. I did some research on JIP and came to the same conclusion you did.

Like many have said your Olympus kit will not stop working because of the sale, but something may happen like it did to my friend that bought a bunch of new Olympus gear in Dec. 2019. He had two Pro lens fail and required factory repairs with in a 4 month period.

That being said I will not be selling my gear for a couple of reasons, 1) I really like the results, size, and weight of my kit. 2) I will be 74 next month and don't shoot as much as I used too nor have the extra cash to spend on a change. 3) wouldn't know which way to go when selecting brand to replace my current kit.

apete

Mu-43 Regular
I like to invite those photographers enjoying photography and their Olympus gear to join me to:-
  1. Continue to enjoy photography and creativity...
  2. Find the positive in current and future circumstances
  3. Continue to enjoy the M43 format and great Olympus gear
  4. Look out for great bargains on the 2nd hand markets
  5. Follow facts and information provided by Olympus and JIP
  6. Share great images, techniques, and support to newcomers...
  7. And not be a part of the senseless gossip and forum speculation...
My answer to your (1), (3) and (7).
28th June, shot with Olympus.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom