It's day 2 and my EM1 II has not stopped working... I like to invite you...

Real Name
Siegfried
I did open the different doom and gloom forum threads on various forums this morning, spend 3 minutes and decided NO... I refuse to waste my time on senseless speculations...

I like to invite those photographers enjoying photography and their Olympus gear to join me to:-
  1. Continue to enjoy photography and creativity...
  2. Find the positive in current and future circumstances
  3. Continue to enjoy the M43 format and great Olympus gear
  4. Look out for great bargains on the 2nd hand markets
  5. Follow facts and information provided by Olympus and JIP
  6. Share great images, techniques, and support to newcomers...
  7. And not be a part of the senseless gossip and forum speculation...
Have fun

Siegfried

PS. I studied the press releases again, dropped the emotions, and carefully studied what is written. I updated my blog statement accordingly.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
I did open the different doom and gloom forum threads on various forums this morning, spend 3 minutes and decided NO... I refuse to waste my time on senseless speculations...

I like to invite those photographers enjoying photography and their Olympus gear to join me to:-
  1. Continue to enjoy photography and creativity...
  2. Find the positive in current and future circumstances
  3. Continue to enjoy the M43 format and great Olympus gear
  4. Look out for great bargains on the 2nd hand markets
  5. Follow facts and information provided by Olympus and JIP
  6. Share great images, techniques, and support to newcomers...
  7. And not be a part of the senseless gossip and forum speculation...
Have fun

Siegfried

PS. I studied the press releases again, dropped the emotions, and carefully studied what is written. I updated my blog statement accordingly.
I agree with all that - except for the last point. Sure there's a lot of speculation, and negativity - but there's also some interesting new info that helps to inform.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
I certainly have not seen ANY new info .... Its all speculation. I'm buying an EM1X tomorrow :)
Well, the info that the community have dug up on JIP is I think very useful and definitely informs my view. I started off thinking the move might mean that Olympus were passing the camera business as a going concern to a new company who'd continue the development and marketing of the brand and the products. But it's clear that JIP is not that sort of company - they do financial engineering and in themselves are pretty small.

If there were a large-enough corporation willing to take Olympus Imaging on (and it would need to be a large corporation given the size of the current business and the current yearly losses), then that's what Olympus would have done. Instead, they are using a company with a track-record of close-downs. Clearly this is about Olympus disposing of the Imaging Division with the minimum of pain to their board and investors. My view is that it's the end of Olympus as we know it. I really hope I'm wrong, but I don't think we'll see another new product off them, and I think it's 75% likely that manufacturing will be terminated within months.

Of course, the existing cameras and lenses are still great and they still produce excellent images in the right hands - but if you're buying more Oly gear now, I think you need to be realistic about the future.

stevedo

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Steve Douglas
Well, I switched on my M1.2 this morning to be met by the following message:

"Due to unforeseen circumstances this camera is no longer able to take photos. Likewise, any Olympus lens you own has also ceased to function. We apologise for any inconvenience caused."

Just kidding :) Even here in Patagonia (Argentina) all my gear continues to perform admirably as it always has.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team

"Due to unforeseen circumstances this camera is no longer able to take photos. Likewise, any Olympus lens you own has also ceased to function. We apologise for any inconvenience caused."

Just kidding :) Even here in Patagonia (Argentina) all my gear continues to perform admirably as it always has.
Phew !

Well, the info that the community have dug up on JIP is I think very useful and definitely informs my view. I started off thinking the move might mean that Olympus were passing the camera business as a going concern to a new company who'd continue the development and marketing of the brand and the products. But it's clear that JIP is not that sort of company - they do financial engineering and in themselves are pretty small.

If there were a large-enough corporation willing to take Olympus Imaging on (and it would need to be a large corporation given the size of the current business and the current yearly losses), then that's what Olympus would have done. Instead, they are using a company with a track-record of close-downs. Clearly this is about Olympus disposing of the Imaging Division with the minimum of pain to their board and investors. My view is that it's the end of Olympus as we know it. I really hope I'm wrong, but I don't think we'll see another new product off them, and I think it's 75% likely that manufacturing will be terminated within months.

Of course, the existing cameras and lenses are still great and they still produce excellent images in the right hands - but if you're buying more Oly gear now, I think you need to be realistic about the future.

Really? The Vaio brand laptops are still around after JIP bought Vaio from Sony in 2014.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
Really? The Vaio brand laptops are still around after JIP bought Vaio from Sony in 2014.
Yes, that's true - but it's quite a smaller company than it was in its Sony days. After the JIP transfer, they pulled back into just the Japanese market. They did not return to the US until a year or so later and today are only selling in limited markets. However, I think that VAIO are the only example of a business surviving JIP !

Yes, that's true - but it's quite a smaller company than it was in its Sony days. After the JIP transfer, they pulled back into just the Japanese market. They did not return to the US until a year or so later and today are only selling in limited markets. However, I think that VAIO are the only example of a business surviving JIP !
It's comforting that JIP recognized they could keep Vaio alive in what is also an extremely competitive and low-margin industry, gives me hope they see Olympus in a similar light.

BJC1982

Mu-43 Regular
Well, I guess it shouldn't be a surprise then that my two Olympus cameras (lowly EPL series at that) are still working. In Africa no less! Maybe it is a "first world" dilemma?

Now if I can just fix the photographer my problems would be solved. :rofl:

Olympus and or JIP are the least of my photography challenges. My equipment will continue to meet my needs for the foreseeable future. And if I find a good deal on a 75mm 1.8, it'll be even better!

jhawk1000

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mel
Mine all worked this morning but I did notice the name Olympus on the front morphing into JIP. I refuse to worry. This is not the stock market crash of 1929, the start of WWII or anything close to it.

Seeing that I'm someone that sold off their Canon gear (again) last week and bought all new Olympus gear (again!!!) on Sunday, I'll admit that the news of the sale did give me an initial feeling of "uh oh...what did I just do?" But I slowly thought it out and came to the conclusion that it's all good. Even if they decide to not produce a single new lens moving forward there will still be plenty of options out there between the current warehouse inventories as well as the used market to keep my curiosity piqued for long enough to serve it's purpose. Then I took a nice long photo stroll through the city during lunch to clear my head and sort of forge a bond with my new camera. Overall I'm now confidently happy with my purchase and already looking forward to my next lunch break!

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
It's comforting that JIP recognized they could keep Vaio alive in what is also an extremely competitive and low-margin industry, gives me hope they see Olympus in a similar light.
One thing to keep in mind is that there is a difference between the PC market and the camera market.

Although the PC market had been seeing a contraction since peak sales in 2011, that contraction was MUCH smaller than that seen in the camera market. PC sales fell 29% over 7 years (2011-2018), whereas over the same time period digital camera sales fell 84%. Couple this with the fact that the PC market has actually grown here recently (not the case for cameras), and it's understandable why VAIO has been able to continue on as a company, albeit in a much smaller and different form factor than they were before.

The bottom line is that the camera market as a whole is in a much more dire position than the PC market, and so using VAIO as a proxy for saying that Olympus can/will survive JIP's ownership doesn't exactly translate 1:1. If JIP had done this previously with another camera manufacturer, then it'd be a different story, but unfortunately this is their first foray in to the camera market.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

jhawk1000

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mel
I guess we will do what humans have done for many years, we will adapt to the equipment available. I never buy equipment with the thought of how much resale value it will have. I buy to use and hopefully, I can use it for years. If not, I guess I adapt again.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom