1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

it's been 6 months...and i have decided with a heavy heart that M43 is not for me.

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by nursenicole, Jul 26, 2011.

1. nursenicole

nursenicole Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2011
    boston
    In short:

I always think of that saying "the best camera is the one you have with you" - and over the last 6 months, I have rarely had my EPL1 with me, or I've had it with me and just felt it too cumbersome/slow/unwieldy for the moment at hand - either the entire outing became "Nicole's photography time" or I simply missed out on lots of photo opportunities because I didn't want to bother with taking it out, changing lenses, whatever.

Also, I have always loved macro photography -and with the lenses I've got I just can't do that. I missed out on a lovely set of dragonflies the other day, and that may have been the moment I realized I was using the wrong camera.

It's a great camera - and I mean that. The picture quality is stellar especially compared to my old p&s (a Sony Cybershot, 8.1 mp) and I have LOVED learning about manual aperture and shutter functions. But for the travel-light, spontaneous adventuring I have always done, the EPL1 and all of the accoutrements are just too much stuff.

I am so heartbroken to see this camera go - I will sell it to finance whatever I replace it with - but I know that no matter how lovely it is, if it's sitting in a bag on a shelf or in the car, and not in my pocket or purse ready for any moments' notice, then it's of very little use to me.

I am currently investigating the Nikon Coolpix p300 and the Canon Powershot s95. If anyone has any input on those two or other comparable compact cameras, I would be grateful for your input.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    You're doing the right thing Nicole......if you're not using it, it's not the right camera for you. That is one of the guiding principles that keeps me from getting a full frame Nikon or Canon. Sure they take better photos, but if it's sitting on a shelf, it's not taking a better anything.

• Like Like x 1
  3. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    you will be disappointed with p&s in low light. After all the good reviews about s90, i bought one but during low light my e-pl1 blows it out of the water. For day shots i guess its good but for me its hard to go back to p&s now.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Hi Nicole,

Good luck with the next purchase! I do hope you find the perfect camera for you. However, I just like to point out that I found it funny that you still found the E-PL1 and the lenses too bulky, while those are the exact reasons I said about DSLR thus prompting my move to to m43. :smile:

I guess a lot of choices in life really are personal.

• Like Like x 1
  5. simonz

simonz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2010
    New England
    Olympus XZ-1

I know what you mean about always having a camera with you. I love my m43 camera's but when I want to go lighter, I bring along an Olympus XZ-1. I am just blown away by the picture quality. Under normal lighting, it rivals m43 and sometimes better. The XZ-1 will fit into my pants pocket, but it is somewhat larger than the S95 that you are considering.

• Like Like x 2
  6. nursenicole

Feb 24, 2011
    boston
    exactly. a few days ago i realized how many photographs i HADNT taken all summer :frown: that was kind of a disappointing wake-up call!

thank you for the support :smile: NOT an easy decision to come by for sure.

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    But that is what's great about a system camera, is that you can always have the right camera with you, by carrying just a handful of lenses. If you don't go beyond your kit lens though, then it's not a system.

You didn't have the wrong camera with you... you just had the wrong lens.

Look at the Olympus XZ-1. It's the best high-end point-and-shoot I've seen out yet, and very compact (unlike a bulky Canon G12 or something which doesn't quite rival it in performance). It's about the same size as the Canon S95, but it features a Zuiko branded (speaks of very high quality for a point-and-shoot) lens with an f/1.8 aperture... the brightest (fastest) lens you'll find in a fixed-lens compact. It also has the same Trupic V processor as the PEN series and the same control system. It has the same Accessory Port and Hotshoe as the PEN cameras, allowing you to use external flash as well as the VF-2 Electronic Viewfinder, EMA-1 external mic, MAL-1 macro arm, etc. It also has the same 3", 614,000 dot OLED screen as the E-P3, except not touch sensitive. lol, your E-PL1 only has a 2.7", 220,000 dot LED. It has a very convenient aperture/control ring on the lens mount, as well.

Basically, it's a tiny PEN camera outfitted with a fixed lens and smaller sensor. The sensor is the same size as all the other high-end P&S like the Canon G12 or Panasonic LX5, but the lens is faster than all of them.

• Like Like x 1
  8. nursenicole

Feb 24, 2011
    boston
    hyubie! i laughed at MYSELF when i thought about how i had opted for the M43 instead of a full-sized DSLR for that same reason....but it turned out to not be nearly small enough! so picky, eh?

@playak47: even if i am disappointed in low light with a return to a more compact camera - if i have no camera with me at all, i will be disappointed PERIOD, you know? if I dont have a camera with me, I don't even have the chance to try :wink:

9. nursenicole

Feb 24, 2011
    boston
    that's absolutely right. and that's part of the problem- buying a third lens would mean one more accessory to carry around, and i am finding that all the bits and pieces are cramping my style :smile:

that was the other camera i had been looking at - thank you for the recommendation! i can read amazon and other reviews until i am blue in the face but I much prefer recommendations and advice from you folks!

hmmm.... and with the xz1 i can keep my EVF2 :smile: decisions decisions!

thanks again!

10. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    You gotta do what you feel is right and the only person that knows what that is...is you. I am a big fan of traveling light and I had an LX3 for a while and if I didn't love shooting my legacy glass so much I'd be very tempted to go that route again. Of the two cameras you mentioned I might be more inclined toward the Canon as I have a friend that has one and have gotten to play with it. It is definitely small and easy to have with you ALL the time. I have not been a big fan of the Nikon P&S cameras for some time. I always feel their IQ is lacking. Have you played with the S95? I suggest doing so if you haven't. As much as i liked it I found the camera a bit too small for my hands. There are a few good options out there. The LX3 or LX5 are both terrific as is the new Olympus XZ-1 (I think I'd be inclined to go the XZ-1 route if I were looking for a compact). You might even consider something like the new E-PM-1 or E-PL3 with a Panasonic 14 on it (pretty minimalist). I will say however that Ned has a good point about it maybe being more about the right lens. I find that my E-P1 with the Panasonic 14 or 20 is pretty darned svelte and the IQ is a knockout (better than just about any P&S I can think of).

Now...my favorite P&S of all time...the Pansonic ZS3. It was compact, took great pictures, HD video and had a 25-300 zoom. It may not have been the BEST at anything but man that was a fun camera to have in pocket. Good luck with your search. You might consider checking over at seriouscompacts and see what they have to say. Also, come back and tell us what you decide.

• Like Like x 1
  11. daimos

daimos Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 23, 2010
    Ottawa,Ontario,Canada
    richard
    when i feel lazy picking up the camera out the door, i blame myself, not the camera.

• Like Like x 2
  12. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    If you like macro photography, then getting a small (high end) compact camera that has macro mode makes a lot of sense.

Why? Because it has a small sensor! In this case, a small sensor becomes an advantage. With macro photography you want as much depth of field as you can get, and with smaller sensors you get that (compared to their larger brethren, say m4/3 or APS-C).

Given that m4/3 cameras are too large even for you, you will probably be happiest with the S95. The XZ-1 is great but it's not as small as the S95. You should handle both in a store to get a feel of what is "small enough" for you.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    • Like Like x 1
  14. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    Good luck in your search. Anyone can say what is best for the others, but when your feel that something is what you want, what others say doesn't matter anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  15. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    You are right. If you think its too big, then its too big. I have debated the s95 myself a number of times. Give it a whirl. If you can, buy it while you still have your m43 to compare. Also, visit seriouscompacts.com, mu-43s sister site. Lots of folks doing cool things with pocket cameras over on that site.

Xz1 is another good recommendation, too.

Can you promise to let us know how it turns out?

• Like Like x 1
  16. nursenicole

Feb 24, 2011
    boston
    I will do that! And thank you all again, this site has been such a wonderful gift, and I appreciate all of your input AND all of your great photos - so much inspiration here -- including the inspiration to go get a camera I will actually USE.

:smile:

17. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The S95 is a great camera, and so is the XZ-1. The XZ-1 is less compact, and in return you get a much faster lens at the telephoto end of the zoom. Makes a big difference when trying to shoot portraits. If you want a small pocket camera, the S95 is as good as it gets.

• Like Like x 1
  18. The last thing that you want is a camera that cramps your style or you don't connect with. Funnily enough, when I have a compact camera with me I usually wish that I had my bigger m43 or Canon gear with me.

• Like Like x 1
  19. nursenicole

Feb 24, 2011
    boston
    And before I bought the EPL1 I was convinced I'd feel the same way! Turns out extreme portability is way more crucial to my photography than I had ever realized.

The XZ-1 is looking better and better by the way --although somewhat larger than the s95 - I have always been a fan of Olympus, I think my first "grown up" camera was an olympus P&S in 1991 (it had a REMOTE!! big draw for a 12 year old!) and if the UI and controls are designed like the PEN series then that's a huge draw, plus keeping the VF2, which I've grown rather fond of.

20. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Don't forget to check out the Lumix LX-5! I think it's a brilliant little camera.

• Like Like x 1