1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

It's Aussie Rules Footy time.

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by bilzmale, May 10, 2010.

1. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

My eldest grandson has swapped the cricket bat and picked up the oval ball. I know this makes little sense to those outside Oz but he loves the local game.

G1 plus 14-140 at full stretch.

4594569827_34ccf84225_b.

• Like Like x 3
  2. noodlehaus

noodlehaus Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 14, 2010
    Seemed like a really fun and great day outdoors for your grandson, Bill :) Love the atmosphere here, very pleasant and relaxing.

3. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    A future star in the making, to be sure! :smile:

4. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    I like the expressions on the faces ... well done you captured the moment very well indeed.

5. inmyeye

inmyeye Mu-43 Regular

Feb 27, 2010
    Chicago-USA
    I agree with John, a future star in the making. A real mans sport. GO WESTERN BULLDOGS!

6. dannat

dannat Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    gotta be red -go the swans

7. JoepLX3

JoepLX3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    Bill, great shot!!!
    - I like the focus control and motion blur in the picture, was the lens all open (minimum F number and largest f)? At which shutter speed?

8. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Joep this was taken at 1/200sec, f/7.1, 200 ISO and 140mm. The image has been cropped somewhat. Thanks for your interest.

• Like Like x 1
  9. JoepLX3

JoepLX3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    Hi Bill,
    No thanks needed towards me, thanks for sharing the photo as well as the details. Together we learn!!! :drinks:

I am actually surprised by the f/7.1 number, I expected more open aperature given the defocus of the guy with the red shirt on the right. And you had even more "room" to potentially also get some blur on the family sitting on the ground on the left.
    Next to that the shutter speed seems to be exactly right (to my taste).
    Lower F with same shutter times means lower ISO.

How did you end up with this settings?
    - Oh, I can imagine this is diffult, because you don't have a lot of time, so I don't critize your shot at all, it is simply great. Just want to learn on how to get that close and I will need some margin, so want to know how even better :cool:.

Bye,

Joep

10. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    Great shot. I love the expressions on the two kid's faces