It's all about the grip

Danny_SWE

Mu-43 All-Pro
Just wanted to show some different grips I have. I think it's a good concept with not too big body and then add a grip when you want it. Rather than always carry around a large body :)

Four grips
by Daniel Cederberg, on Flickr

Panasonic GX80 with JB Camera Designs Grip. The original grip is ok, but with larger lenses the handling gets better with a beefier grip like this.

Olympus E-M5 with iShoot grip. The original grip is not so good, this might be overkill but it is a fantastic grip besides the weight.

Panasonic GM1 with Nikon DSLR rubber grip. The original grip is not too good, this piece from D200 I think (?) makes it much better. Should be stock.

Olympus XZ-1 with Flipbac G2. The original grip is not ok I think. Had tried some various here, I ordered some different for this and the GM1 and ended with this one. Makes it very good.

(shot with my G7XII which have great original grip I think)

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
Agreed! I've got the Panasonic grip for the GM5 and am planning on adding the JB grip for the GX85. When I had the EM10 I used the Olympus grip for that. They're not necessary all the time but the flexibility is great.

Danny_SWE

Mu-43 All-Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Found this old thread when looking for something else, to sum up things. I have returned to root. A regular looking body, like a classic camera, like my old E-3. The Panasonic G-series is really great, have grown very fond of my G80, great ergonomics and light body. I believe this (and Oly E-M1 series) is really great for overall usage. Pair it with a compact camera or mobile phone for when you don't want a "real" camera and you are all set :)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
Agreed! I've got the Panasonic grip for the GM5 and am planning on adding the JB grip for the GX85. When I had the EM10 I used the Olympus grip for that. They're not necessary all the time but the flexibility is great.
Do you have a link to the grip for the GM5? I have never found one (I tried a GM-1 grip and it didn't work).

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
The Panasonic grip is the same for the GM1 and GM5. Not sure what didn't work about it?
Yeah, I should have bought the Panasonic one. I bought a 3rd-party grip, much like the Fittest grip in this thread, but designed for the GM1, hoping it would fit the GM5. It kind of does, but not perfectly (the GM5 is somewhat fatter, if I remember correctly). No biggie, since the whole point of these cameras is the small size, and that's how I use it - as a secondary body, usually with an ultra-wide lens.

Danny_SWE

Mu-43 All-Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
since the whole point of these cameras is the small size, and that's how I use it - as a secondary body, usually with an ultra-wide lens.
yes, I have just packed my vacation gear, GM1 + 12-32 and 35-100 (the small variants), great lenses. Maybe I should pack the 14/2.5 also just because you said it.

What ultra-wide do you use?

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
yes, I have just packed my vacation gear, GM1 + 12-32 and 35-100 (the small variants), great lenses. Maybe I should pack the 14/2.5 also just because you said it.

What ultra-wide do you use?
For travel I use the Oly m43 9-18 on the GM5. Unbelievably small secondary body and lens combo. For my main camera, I have been using the Oly E-M10II (just graduated to an E-M5III), with a PL 12-60 2.8-4. Occasionally I mount an el-cheapo, very lightweight Oly 40-150 onto the GM5 when I need small telephoto. Plus, you reminded me, I always pack the 12-32 GM5 kit lens. Sometimes if I want to go out with just a small camera, I'll use that combination and leave the E-M10II at the hotel.

When I'm closer to home, I'd probably have a PL 8-18 attached to the GM5 (obviously, I don't like to use an ultra-wide as my primary lens). :)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom