It's a Selfie World

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
Everyone is getting on the band wagon:

Olympus-PEN-E-PL7-MFT-camera-screen1_zps2bc53f3e.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

http://www.43rumors.com/

LovinTheEP2

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Everyone is getting on the band wagon:

Olympus-PEN-E-PL7-MFT-camera-screen1_zps2bc53f3e.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

http://www.43rumors.com/

And what's wrong with that, you can't stop progress.. selfies are here to stay... at least they didn't make it wood grain too.

LPST

U.S. Navy Vet.
Real Name
Will
And what's wrong with that, you can't stop progress.. selfies are here to stay... at least they didn't make it wood grain too.

Self-centeredness is not progress, the camera is nice but that's about it.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
I sometimes wonder how long the selfie fad will exist in its current form of look at moi, look at moi, look at moi. One day someone will look at this and realise that all of their photos so far show just their faces, and really nothing about where they were and what they were doing at the time. I just Googled 'selfies' and 'travel selfies', and you have to wonder how it's managed to stay alive even this long. After a while, even the travel selfies start to look somewhat stupid and egotistical, and pretty awful.

usayit

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I see nothing wrong with it...... Selfies have been around for decades. It just was not shared to the extent it is now. It's no more photography in the strictest sense than a tweet is to a published book. Samsung released dual screen P&S years ago. It had a display on the front of the camera in addition to the rear. Several cameras of the past had a swing out LCD that can rotate 180.

From a business perspective, bringing some of the features that made smart phones displace cameras in the market is not a bad thing. This includes making it easier to take a selfie, edit photos and share them....

From a personal standpoint, these attempts at innovations are a good thing as often they explore or open to new exciting things. If not immediately interesting to me then its as if it won't impact my joy of photography. I certainly don't take many selfies but I do like to share with friends and family.

Everyone has their own definition of enjoyment... I certainly wouldn't want someone imposing on mine.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
I'm not sure why they bother, a mobile phone does just as good a job, if not better. Why do you need a 16MP, interchangeable lens, camera to take selfies?

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
I'm not sure why they bother, a mobile phone does just as good a job, if not better. Why do you need a 16MP, interchangeable lens, camera to take selfies?

A feature to market. I am sure somebody would find it a feature that they want. We may be photographers, but sometimes we want to show the world that "we were there".

--Ken

fredlong

Just this guy...
Real Name
Fred

If you're trying to get some one to upgrade from a cell phone it should be able to do at least what the phone can.

Fred

usayit

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
For the same reason that WiFi capable cameras exist and products like the Samsung s# zoom smart phones exist. Because you have cheap cameras, ultra expensive medium frame high image quality capable cameras and everything in between..... Everyone has their idea of the ideal product that meets needs or wants while manufacturers strive to meet it.

It is how progress is achieved.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mu-43 mobile app

fortwodriver

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Frank
Look at all those douchebags with ironic beards who own Leicas and are CONSTANTLY taking photos of themselves in mirrors and windows? They've been doing it since the very first portable cameras came about.

Besides, wasn't there at least one camera, over a decade ago that had a similar designed drop-down display for selfies? Didn't Samsung also make a camera with a second LCD on the front for just such a purpose? (hah! usayit beat me to it) Or the camera-phones that had a little reflective mirror-patch by the lens so you could turn it around and point it at your own face with relative accuracy?

usayit

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Look at all those douchebags with ironic beards who own Leicas and are CONSTANTLY taking photos of themselves in mirrors and windows? They've been doing it since the very first portable cameras came about.

Besides, wasn't there at least one camera, over a decade ago that had a similar designed drop-down display for selfies? Didn't Samsung also make a camera with a second LCD on the front for just such a purpose? (hah! usayit beat me to it) Or the camera-phones that had a little reflective mirror-patch by the lens so you could turn it around and point it at your own face with relative accuracy?
See link I posted.... Yup Samsung dual. I thought it was a unique idea in a cheap camera.... Maybe ahead of its time.

Aha.... I missed that you read the link already.....

fortwodriver

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Frank
See link I posted.... Yup Samsung dual. I thought it was a unique idea in a cheap camera.... Maybe ahead of its time.

Aha.... I missed that you read the link already.....

Up here they actually sold a lot of them in drug-stores. They were pretty popular, but I think the model we had pre-dated Wifi... They were cheap, small, and pretty easy to use.

Art

Mu-43 All-Pro
Because iPhone selfies in low light suck big time. With E-PL7, one can use use bounce flash with e.g. Oly 17mm or 12mm and do a high quality selfie. LCD tilts down which is convenient. However, E-PL7 is epic fail without built-in bounceable flash.

少林chris

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Chris
I can definitely see the market potential here in China and probably rest of east Asia as well. Females here in general, are selfie fanatics. My girlfriend for instance, has been talking about getting a mu43 camera for a while now, and I think the PL7 it will seal the deal for her.
This will make nice pocket change for olympus for sure.

fortwodriver

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Frank
I can definitely see the market potential here in China and probably rest of east Asia as well. Females here in general, are selfie fanatics. My girlfriend for instance, has been talking about getting a mu43 camera for a while now, and I think the PL7 it will seal the deal for her.
This will make nice pocket change for olympus for sure.

Olympus has not hid the fact that two huge target markets for their PEN cameras are women and teens.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
If you're trying to get some one to upgrade from a cell phone it should be able to do at least what the phone can.

Fred

Except that the camera can't make calls, txt, facebook, twitter, navigate, play games, etc, etc. If it could, it'd be a smart phone.:biggrin:

fortwodriver

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Frank
Except that the camera can't make calls, txt, facebook, twitter, navigate, play games, etc, etc. If it could, it'd be a smart phone.:biggrin:

Surprisingly, Canon tried that with the N camera...didn't sell very well outside of Japan... In Japan, I don't think it did all that well either.

Latest threads

Top Bottom