1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

It's a miracle!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by RobWatson, Sep 16, 2011.

1. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

As if by magic my poor E-P1's previously non-functional IBIS (blinking IS red icon) and terribly off center and tilted sensor (IBIS parked position?) now has miraculously regained all fuction and is healed!

You gotta believe! And let the kids play with to roughly handle in just the right way to 'knock' things back into their proper place (otherwise it's all miracles!).

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Sweet! I had forgotten that the E-P1 even had an IBIS indicator light.

I wonder if I let my dogs (they are my only kids) rough it up a bit, if my E-P1 with the busted LCD screen will start functioning again? :cool:

3. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    "let the kids play with to roughly handle in just the right way to 'knock' things back" and "let my dogs rough it up a bit" might be also the official procedures by the Olympus service. :rofl: ...or if they are not, you guys could team up a third party Oly service. :thumbup:

4. RobWatson

I'm thinking by playing around with DC power and pumping in 8.4VDC maybe gave enough power for a wee IBIS motor to drive through a bit of bind that was the problem? The healing power of ... power!

5. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Rob,
    Did you ever check how many mA your camera draws when auto-focusing?
    I'm thinking of making an voltage reducer using a zener diode, but can't check it because my probe will not fit into the battery chamber.
    Sam

6. Agent_K64

Agent_K64 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2011
    This reminds me of how my high school comp sci teacher fixed old computers. He'd lift and drop them back on the table, and they somehow got fixed by this.

7. RobWatson

mA draw for AF?

I have not measured this but I suspect it will depend on the lens and I only have the 17mm F2.8 ... Maybe next week I can get some measurements for review.

8. RobWatson

Uh Oh.

On a sad note the miracle has passed and the IBIS is back on the fritz.

The lesson here is to enjoy the miracle when it comes and do not cling. Grace can be fickle. Needless to say the 8.4 VDC treatment is back on the table ....

9. RobWatson

Well, the 8.4 VDC treatment had no effect on the broken IBIS so I guess it goes back to the kids or the miracle.

Autofocus with the 17mm F2.8 lens draw an additional 60 mA. Baseline current draw with LCD at maximum brightness is 311 mA. I only had a voltmeter and it is possible the AF operation happens too fast to be accurately captured by the meter so the peak current draw is likely higher than 60 mA.

EDIT: Actually the 311 mA includes whatever my voltage regulator draws so the camera draws less than that.