1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

iterative changes in Ciecio7's FD adaptor

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by pellicle, Jul 25, 2010.

1. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Hi

I noticed that Ciecio7's FD adaptor now has a mask on the back to cut down light passing to just the sensor area. I thought it was interesting as a previous debate about this on a flickr group suggested that the Rayqual adaptor may have an advantage over others because of this.

So I a new Ciecio7 adaptor and had a run with it can compared it to my older ones.

in my view ...: Ciecio7 - new FD micro 4/3 adaptor

just incase anyone is after an FD adaptor this is one of the lowest price adaptors but also happens to be one of the best made ones.

... just my 2 cents worth

:)

2. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks for the review of this. I kept looking for you to finally do the review because I was thinking about upgrading my current FD adapter. Alas, the results are not surprising since the m4/3 cameras already have a decent light baffle, so I didn't see how this cutout was going to make a real difference other than to make up for crappy internal adapter coatings.

Unfortunately this is NOT one of the lowest price adapters for FD, but instead it's one of the most expensive ones, especially now that he doesn't offer the older version and has raised the price on the new version to $60 from the introductory $55. Most FD adapters on eBay are around $30 now. He's competing against the Kipon adapter at this price, and Kipon has the aperture lock mechanism which is a better deal IMO. In my experience with Kipon adapters, they're high quality.

3. flatop222

flatop222 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 11, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    BoPhoto.com has a discussion concerning legacy lens flair. He has a different approach to solving it. If interested, you will need to scroll all the way down or probably go to page 2.

This is of interest to me because I will be buying an EP-2 and using some nikon lenses.

George

4. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Hi Dragos

yeah, house renovations and starting a new job sort of got in my way on this one. Such is life.

well that's true, there are quite a few sellers (more than there were) onselling (probably the same chinese) adaptor. I think there are about 2 variations in that lot. Last I looked however in the upper shelf there were still a couple priced over the $100 mark. I have not handled a Rayqual to see, but its hard to imagine a unit more robust than the Ciecio7 one ... it is one machined billet as I mentioned, so it can't really "fall apart" or have a screw come loose / strip out.

anyway, hope you're well and its good to hear from you :)

5. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Hi

seems the more traditional approach. Interesting blog, thanks for mentioning it.

6. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I'd like to have seen the lens opening before he put on that paper blocking mask. I suspect he's stopping down the lens a bit, which is why he's getting the increased sharpness. It would be the same as stopping it down to f/1.4 from the aperture ring. Still, worthy experiment.