Items stolen in burglary - look out for these secondhand

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by jamespetts, Oct 31, 2013.

1. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    My flat was burgled this evening, with much of my camera equipment stolen. I am aware that burglars often sell equipment online, so if anyone sees any of the following equipment for sale in circumstances that appear suspicious or if it has any of the distinctive features of what I am about to describe and picture, please send me a private message.

Firstly, here is a picture of my Micro Four Thirds equipment:

8754006415_05233f69a2_b.
    Camera equipment by James E. Petts, on Flickr

8754021825_0443f55f13_b.

And here are some pictures of the closed bag

8754043199_8460b48d8d_b.

8754041319_d0fcc04803_b.

The equipment is enumerated in the first photograph and in my signature, so I shall not repeat it. Distinctive features are as follows:

(1) the camera (an E-P3) had the optional large grip in place of the default grip;
    (2) the VF-2, which I bought secondhand, came with the EP-9 optional eye-cup;
    (3) (not pictured) the 60mm lens had a third party plain lens cap, as the original lens cap fell into the road and was run over last month; and
    (4) the camera bag had an extra divider sewn into it creating four small compartments rather than two small compartments and one large compartment. I believe that this is probably unique.

I have serial numbers for much of the equipment.

If anyone has any suggestions of where other than eBay and local general secondhand shops to check periodically for these stolen items, I should be grateful for any suggestions. (I hope, incidentally, that I have posted this in the correct subforum).

Edit: Incidentally, much of my old camera equipment was also taken (bar camera bodies, which the burglar left behind). Pictures in this gallery.

Attached Files:

2. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I would just go ahead and post the serial numbers.... If its going to be too much of a hassle for people to contact you to cross reference every piece of similar equipment that goes up for sale, they simply won't do it.

I do hope you get it all back... or at least have insurance to cover.

3. jamespetts

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    Happily, I do have insurance, albeit with an excess. The serial numbers are:

Olympus E-P3 camera: B9V501602
    Olympus M.Zuiko 60mm f/2.8 ED Macro lens: ABQ205170
    Olympus M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8 ED lens: ABM230917
    Olympus M.Zuiko 12mm f/2.0 ED lens: ABF003888
    Panasonic Lumix 25mm f/1.4 lens: XT2AC001860

(These are the only ones that I could find from boxes/receipts).

4. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Sorry mate!

5. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    Sorry to hear, I hope you get it back, or via the insurance. And I hope you'll still stay with Micro 4/3s...

Add: you can make a search on favorite photo sharing sites via the metadata like the serial number of the lens or the copyright info... this might help. I have a friend recovered his gears through this after a year. The copyright info was intact under his name.

6. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Nice that you have such a complete record of everything.

7. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Sorry to hear that. Good thing you have insurance. Do hope you get some of those items back though...

It's a good reminder for me to catalog all the camera equipment I have!

8. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Sorry James! I hope they catch the jerk(s).

9. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Oh wow. So sorry. Hope you get it back.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

10. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    There are facebook groups for selling stuff if that helps.

11. jamespetts

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    Ahh, thank you - do you know where I might find these groups?

12. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    If you search for local for sale groups within Facebook ie 'selling London' or similar thats how my wife found them.

13. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Geoff
    James, I am sorry, you must be gutted.

I assume this will be sold in the UK so maybe a post on the Olympus users UK site would be worth it.

Geoff

14. jamespetts

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    Thank you very much for all your replies. Am posting on the UK Olympus group now.

Edit: Sadly, cannot easily post in the Olympus UK group, as, having just registered there (I did not know about it before), I cannot post links or images until I have already made 6 posts.

15. I don't have the link but there are apps which scan the EXIF photo data of online photos. The idea is to locate stolen cameras.

16. Quick google, first three hits:
    How to Find Your Stolen or Lost Digital Camera [Quicktip] - Hongkiat

www.hongkiat.com/blog/find-stolen-camera/
    by Mustaza Mustafa - in 1,427 Google+ circles
    You see, every photo taken with a digital camera has an EXIF data that is like a ... the pictures taken with the camera somewhere online, you can track the camera down ... Recommended Reading: 10 Apps To Recover A Lost Or Stolen IPhone ... one thing that is to scan EXIF data stored in all images loaded on your browser.
    Stolen Camera Finder - find your photos, find your camera
    www.stolencamerafinder.com/
    stolencamerafinder reunites people with lost or stolen camera equipment by searching the web for the serial numbers embedded in jpegs.
    EXIF tracking services help find missing cameras: Digital ...
    www.dpreview.com/news/2011/12/29/cameratrace
    Dec 29, 2011 - You only find a picture posted online, so you only know where the camera ... If they can use the EXIF DATA to track pictures taken with a stolen camera, how ... it to a dealer and the dealer scanned and reported the serial number. ... I like the " Find My iPhone" App available with iCloud which can not only ...

17. jamespetts

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    Thank you very much for the tips. Looking at pictures taken with the camera in Lightroom and in Windows (right click/properties), there does not seem to be any serial number attached to the EXIF data. Does anyone know whether the E-P3 does actually record its serial number in the EXIF?

Edit: Ahh, wait, the stolen camera finder does seem to have dug up the EXIF. I have now reported it. Thank you for the suggestion! Does anyone know whether a similar thing exists for lenses?

Edit 2: They seem to want to charge a monthly fee for more than a very basic search of an extremely limited number of photographs (all of which were photographs that I posted on Flickr long ago). Given that the camera was covered by insurance, this does not seem to be cost effective.

18. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    Very sorry sir.

Hope you find and/or can replace much of your kit soon.

Regards,

James

19. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Geoff
    I think Iansky is a member and I am sure he would post on your behalf if you PM'd him on here