It was GF3 v G3, but now.........

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Teefin1, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Teefin1

Teefin1 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 4, 2012
    I wanted to see what all the IBIS fuss was about as I've been getting quite a few blurry pics of the kids (very active) so bought an EPM1 and I've got to say, I love it!! Olympus bodies seem more expensive than panny bodies and I did enjoy the touchscreen ui and the potential swivel screen on the g3 that I would've had.

Does anyone else think IBIS is a useful/good feature?

2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    For low light still photography and adapted lens shooting, it's quite useful!

3. Teefin1

Teefin1 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 4, 2012
    Thanks Jonathon.

Would you say it's a reasonable buy over the g3, which is a great price, but I'm worried about image stability as I'm a novice and found it difficult to get decent clear shots with the gf3, which was really cheap!

4. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    It wouldn't help for active kids..prevents camera shake from hands, not subject movement.

It's a nice bonus, but I wouldn't count on it saving the day/shot.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Teefin1

Teefin1 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 4, 2012
    Thank you phrenic, so what would you say is the reason I get more non blurry shots from epm1 over the gf2? I do wonder, as I really think the g3 is good value and offers features the other two don't.

(unless I have really shaky hands....in my thirties).

6. PSimmons

PSimmons Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 24, 2010
    Central Florida
    phrenic nailed it on the head. IS is only advantageous when shooting in low light/slow shutter speeds. Doesn't help you with kids running around

7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Yes, very useful. Not an absolute requirement for me, but a very nice luxury.

8. GRID

GRID Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2011
    So you need a lens with low F-value and a camera that is good on high iso to capture moving subjects in low light.

9. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    As long as your subjects arent moving, and you need to shoot in dim light, it's a great feature. But it can't replace higher shutter speeds when you need to shoot moving subjects, and isn't really necessary in bright light (with a few excwptions).

So yes, it's useful, but not a panacea. As is true os OIS as well.