1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

it was a matter of time... Canon 40mm Pancake lens

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Chrisnmn, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
  2. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Chicago
    While this is cool, I don't quite understand what you're waiting for ... you're going to forgo purchasing the Panny 20mm and wait for Canon to release their new 40mm in m43 format?

3. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Agreed. That said, it goes without saying that the Panny 20mm renders images with true Leica-like IQ. At less than $400, it's one of the rare astounding bargains out there... :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  4. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    it's said with the new 650D body, Canon shows its ambition entering the mirrorless world. It features the hybrid focusing system, STM lens and touchscreen operation whereas no IQ improvements, next time Canon's probably going to get rid of the mirror and give us an EVIL with better focusing performance than Pentax K-01 has.

5. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    Wow, a tiny 40mm f2.8 for a non-mirrorless camera. I wonder if Pentax could do something like this.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    I would like to see all the upcoming reviews on this lens, iq and all that. I just cant believe the shortage on the p20 plus on ebay now is going for more than 500 bucks! Are they high or something? Hopefully ill get a good deal around this forum in the next couple of days/weeks.

But yeah theres rumors that canon is coming to the mirror less world for photokina this year! I think is just about time in getting a "full frame" sensor in an "epm1" size body i guess?

7. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    You have to remember that the EF mount has a much longer register distance than m43. If they were to make a mirror less with native EF support, it'd be a chubby little guy, à la Pentax K-01.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    True that, but i guess that a analog OM, AE1, TRIP35, EOS3000, slr size camera is good enough isnt it? I mean look at the ep3 or omd5 i think thats the perfect size camera at least for me, for example i preferred the epl2 size instead of the epm1 ...but again, thats me!

9. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    My first thought is, I'd rather have the Oly 45/1.8 or Panny 45/2.8 because I could actually use them.

I read the linked article and this jumped out, "perhaps one of the most interesting lens announcements we may see this year". Really? A small wide/normal lens thats not particularly fast? Not too interesting.

Far more interesting was Sigma announcing lenses designed specifically for mirrorless systems. And Tamron. A third party announcing a decent 50/.95 lens in Leica M mount at a fraction of the cost of a Noctilux was pretty interesting. The anouncement, finally, of more high end lenses for m4/3 has been far more interesting to me and, I think, an indicator of the direction of the industry.

Fred

10. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Yeah, or look at the difference between a Pentax pancake and that same Pentax pancake on a K-:43: adapter.

But the E-P3 and EM-5 have to remove the mirror to get back to the thinness of the old analog SLRs. You used to have a thin piece of film with just a plastic door behind it. Now, you have a thicker sensor with electronics and an LCD behind it. Mirrorless bodies can actually be made thinner than I like, but SLR bodies still have to be thicker than I like due to the mirror and the electronics/LCD.

11. LegacyLens

LegacyLens Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2012
    What people think is so interesting about it is that *gasp* CANON *gasp* lol

Manual focus, the lost trade.

12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Heaidng into the m43 world? No, they are only doing what Olympus did over 5 years ago, bringing pancakes back into the digital world with the Zuiko 25mm f/2.8... for DSLRs, not mirrorless (of course we had them before Digital in the film era, but I'm not going back that far). Plus Pentax has been making their old 40mm/2.8 pancake for digital format as well. Pancake lenses have been recurring well before Micro Four-Thirds, and Canon is a lot further behind the times than you think.

If you get this Canon pancake for your E-PL2, you will need a $450 EOS adapter (Redrock or Berger) to make it functional (with aperture control but no autofocus) which will also make it not a pancake anymore. Plus I highly doubt it'll be any better or probably even as good as the Zuiko 25mm f/2.8 pancake, which is fully functional (100%, including autofocus) on an E-PL2 using a $70-$180 adapter (Viltrox, Panasonic, or Olympus). That lens with the adapter is about the length of the E-PL2's kit zoom collapsed, but the Four-Thirds mount is shorter than Canon, and the Zuiko 25mm/2.8 is slimmer than the Canon 40mm/2.8. So you're going to get an even bigger package with the Canon, with limited functionality and no autofocus.

The Zuiko 25mm f/2.8 pancake is already a much better choice for the E-PL2, but for the same price (with cost of adapter) there are plenty of native options which are even better. The Lumix 14mm/2.5, m.Zuiko 17mm/2.8, and Lumix 20mm f/1.7. It's hard for me to see why you would consider the Canon.

Oh, but if you just want a compact 40mm... well, there is the Pentax but that's a pretty long register with the K-mount. Your best bet is the G.Zuiko 40mm f/1.4 made for the Pen FT. Not only is it a wonderful lens, but it's also made for the Pen mount which is half the size of a DSLR/SLR mount, and it is a fully manual lens which is built to work the way you will be using it. It's a lot faster than the pancake lenses you're looking at, but with the shorter register and compact Zuiko build, will make an even smaller package. Or how about the m.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8? It is VERY compact, styled like a rangefinder lens.

13. broadway

broadway Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    I'm confused why a 40mm lens from Canon would compete with the P20mm as it is double the focal length.

14. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Well they are equivalent field of view if the 40mm is placed on a Canon FF camera (though I doubt many FF users will be clamoring for a $200 pancake lens, perhaps only for occasional use). The Panasonic 20mm has a 40mm equivalent view compared to the 40mm placed on a canon FF camera - in other words, they will have the same frame coverage. If put on an APS-C camera, which will likely be the intended use for the bulk of the 40mm sales, the lens is a 60mm equivalent, and then not an equivalent view to the Panasonic 20mm.

15. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Hasn't Pentax?

16. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    Thing of it is, I shoot Canon, and this lens is the answer to the question no one was asking. It fills a gap that isn't there.

Canon's 50mm 1.8 II will absolutely SMOKE this thing, if one doesn't care about 10mm FL (I don't) at an amazon price of $115.