It Pays to Tidy

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by gracefruit, Dec 26, 2010.

1. gracefruit

gracefruit Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2010
    central scotland
    While cleaning out a drawer today, I found some old lenses:

A Takumar 35mm 1:2.3 (I think this is an M42 Mount)
    A Pentax M 50mm 1:1.7 (K mount?)
    A Takumar 55mm 1:2 (Again, I think it's an M42 Mount)
    A Vivitar 'Automatic Tele Converter' (this has a screw mount, M42?)

Maybe this is a haul or maybe it's junk. None of these have lens caps, but most have been stored 'on camera' (I found two old Asahi Pentax bodies, too) or in a lens case. They seem to be in good shape.

Is it worth getting an adaptor? My manual skills are lacking, but maybe it's time to learn.
  2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Get an adapter. You already have the lenses so it's a good time to hone your skills...
    • Like Like x 1
  3. gracefruit

gracefruit Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2010
    central scotland
    I've located one on Amazon. It's all very exciting! I hadn't really considered using older lenses, but it seems that once you know what you're doing, the possibilities are endless.
  4. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    If it is Pentax and screw mount it is M42. Otherwise it is K mount in bayonet.

The Pentax-M 50/1.7 is a little gem. If you want a 50mm this one is well worth having. I have one myself that my daughter seems reluctant to give back.

The Takumar 35mm 1:2.3 is one I don't see too often and one I have not owned but it looks like it could be a fun one.

The Takumar 55mm 1:2 is also a nice lens. I owned one more years ago than I would like to recall.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    The screw mount adapters (C, ltm, m42) are the cheapest because all they need to do is cut a thread for the lens, not machine a bayonet mount. If you don't like the old lenses it won't be big money wasted.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Oh yes, that one should be a good lens.
    Check which adapter it requires, or just cover your bases and order a K-mount and an M42 to m4/3rds adapters. Get cheapo ones, they're mostly all good.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. gracefruit

gracefruit Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2010
    central scotland
    I ended up on Ebay and found both the M42 and the K mounts from one seller for a fair decent price. Having only recently moved out of using iauto all of the time, I hope these 'new' lenses will help me learn.

Thanks so much to everyone for their input and help. Maybe one day I will know enough to help others this way.