It Only Takes A Minute, Girl

goldenlight

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John
Despite my well-intentioned resolution, I left the house today without my E-PL1. It's no excuse but my daughter had a doctor's appointment and I was in a hurry. As you might guess, on the way home I saw numerous photo opportunities. In the high street there was the comical sight of two people desperately trying to load an implausibly large sofa into an impossibly small car and on the drive home there were any number of autumnal trees backlit by the low, late afternoon sun.

Once home, I was desperate to get out again with my camera but my wife reminded me that there wasn't much time before we were due to go out. "It'll only take a minute," I pleaded. As it happened my mini shoot took 29 minutes, from first shot to last, which I didn't think was too bad and at least I wasn't in trouble!

I'm now keeping my car keys with the camera!

AUTUMN_2010_023_e_r_s.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

AUTUMN_2010_037_e_r_s.jpg

AUTUMN_2010_067_c_e_r_s.jpg

AUTUMN_2010_086_c_e_NR_r_s.jpg

All taken with Olympus E-PL1 and Panasonic 14-45mm. The first two were on an open space on the outskirts of Dunmow and the last two are basically the view from the front of my house.

VisualFX

Mu-43 Regular
Do you like the Pany 14-45mm? How does it compare to the "cheapo" Olympus kit lens 14-42mm? I assume because of the price it's much better lens. I just want to get a feel on different lenses, and what I may be missing out on. I only have the kit and 4/3 40-150mm right now.

EasyEd

Mu-43 Regular
Hey All,

Another vote for the last one - by far! A certain part of me is really "into" minimalist landscapes.

-Ed-

goldenlight

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John
Thanks guys!

VisualFX, I've very recently bought the Pen with kit lens secondhand. I don't much like the feel of the 14-42mm and choose to use the Panny 14-45mm which I'd already got. Sometime I really must compare the results from both kit lenses, but I've always been pleased with the performance of the Panny. The Zuiko should be good when I want to travel really light and compact, although I also have the Panny 20mm for that. :smile:

Kosta

Mu-43 Veteran
of course, the last shot is a beauty but i liked them all!
i'm a noob - how do you get the details and colours of the trees to come up so well when the light is so strong behind it? using gradation? i'd love to know!
how do you find the pana14-45 lens on it? better than the 14-42kit?

thanks!

goldenlight

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John
of course, the last shot is a beauty but i liked them all!
i'm a noob - how do you get the details and colours of the trees to come up so well when the light is so strong behind it? using gradation? i'd love to know!
how do you find the pana14-45 lens on it? better than the 14-42kit?

thanks!

Hi Kosta,

No 2 has the strongest backlighting and I just bracketed when shooting (JPEG) and chose the best balanced exposure when editing. I then lifted the shadows and pulled back the highlights in Elements and boosted the contrast a little. Here's the original JPEG, untouched except for resizing. I've re-posted the edited version below it to make comparison easier.

AUTUMN_2010_037_unedited_r.jpg

AUTUMN_2010_037_e_r_s.jpg

Regarding the Panna 14-45mm I tend to use it because I already had it when I got the E-PL1 and know it to be an excellent lens. The Pen is still a novelty for me and I'm enjoying playing with it, but once I've got over the excitement I will test the Oly 14-42mm alongside the Panna. I've also got the 20mm Panna which I really love. :smile:

etermes

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Alberto
Nice captures,
i like the first the most, great composition with the shadows

Latest threads

Top Bottom