IT LIVES!!! (successful E-P5 self-repair)

ADemuth

Mu-43 Veteran
Joined
Jan 27, 2017
Messages
330
Location
Great Bend, KS
Not a terribly important post, but I'm super pumped and had to share.

About a year and a half ago, my E-P5 died - specifically, the screen failed. At the time I was living on a tiny remote island in the pacific that took 6-9 weeks to get or send anything from practically anywhere. The timing was terrible as we were preparing to leave the island on a 3 month, 13 country tour on our way back home to the States. Fortunately, the first stop was Okinawa to visit friends, so I ordered an EM5 mkii body from mainland Japan and sent it to him (somehow I made do with it :) )

Well, having a working camera body and getting a grip on life back in the States made the E-P5 repair take a trip to the back-back-back burner until recently. I had a feeling it was just the ribbon cable that had failed, and I found one on Aliexpress for about $20 shipped. It arrived a few weeks ago and ever since then, I've been itching for a whole day I could dedicate to this task. My wife is out of town today so today I set out on a mission to repair this camera or break it trying. There are no teardown tutorials for this camera, so I studied Lifepixel's DIY full spectrum conversion instructions for every other Olympus camera, as well as an E-P5 screen replacement how-to on iFixIt None of these really prepare you for this camera, as there are a number of screws that have hidden access points on the main body.

Sorry for the absolutely terrible cell pic - my EM5 is all set up for slide scanning, but -

3 hours, minimal swearing, and ~80 screws later:
Camera repaired.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)


I even dripped some deoxit into my front control wheel which made it work better (I still have one clockwise click that refuses to work).

I did end up with one spare washer. It just showed up in my hand when I turned the camera over. Oops!

I intended to make a teardown tutorial, but I realized something went wrong midway through with my documentary photos where they didn't save and some numbering went wrong (again, oops). I intend to make a new front grip now that I know how to get to it and I'll make a better tutorial when I do that. Until then, I'd be glad to help anybody out in their own repair endeavor - it's actually not too hard, and only really involves an ESD strap, a jeweler's screwdriver, a plastic spudger, and a way to catalog all those tiny screws.
 
Last edited:

ADemuth

Mu-43 Veteran
Joined
Jan 27, 2017
Messages
330
Location
Great Bend, KS
I've used the pill-a-day cases in the past for smaller projects, but for this I put clear packing tape on a plastic grid - like the stuff they put on fluorescent ceiling lights - and numbered it with a sharpie so that the screws would stick to the tape (I have cats). I took pics with my phone of each step of the camera body and numbered the screws with an annotation app as I put them in their respective square.
 

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom