IT journos and gadget bloggers LOVE their mirrorless cameras

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by stratokaster, Aug 7, 2013.

1. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Today I was attending the unveiling of a new LG phone in New York. It was a big event with hundreds of IT journalists and gadget bloggers from all around the world.

Ever since mirrorless cameras first appeared on the horizon, their presence at such events has been raising every year. Today I saw what probably was the biggest gathering of mirrorless users in one place.

There was a whole row of Asian guys sitting in front of me — every one of them with an Olympus Micro 4/3 cameras. Panasonic GH2s, GH3s and even G6s were quite popular among video people. I also noticed quite a lot of Sony NEX cameras (mostly NEX-6 and NEX-7). No Fujis, but that's understandable: we media folks tend to prefer cameras that do both stills and video.

As a side note: many of my colleagues don't know a thing about photography. If it wasn't the case, they wouldn't be shooting with bounce flash in a room with the black ceiling.

Of course, there were a lot DSLRs, but this year the proportion was roughly 50/50 instead of 70/30 in favor of DSLRs a year ago. It was rather funny that most DSLR shooters were women.
  2. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Yes, here in Asia or at least in many areas in Asia... Mirrorless is gaining ground :smile:

I regularly see a lot of them... well us. haha
  3. F/Stop

F/Stop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Brian Y.
    That's good to hear. Considering I've only seen ONE OMD "in the wild"