It is so helpful if you add your location to your profile. Why? Here ya go…

Toddster

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Todd Cleaver
For the most part this is an image centric forum. Yes, I know we do spend a lot of time on equipment; but there are so many remarkable images posted here. We also have members from all over the world. So, sometimes it’s nice to look and see where the poster is from. So simple when the poster has included their location in their profile; almost impossible if they haven’t.

I was reminded of this most recently when viewing the Show: Fall Colors thread. Wouldn’t it be nice to know where the leaves were changing based on the images posted? I live in Florida; we don’t have much of a change of season here. I am very interested in where the leaves are changing.

Some members don’t have any location at all; others have something cute listed instead. All well and good; but it would be so nice to know where on this “Third Rock from the Sun” you actually are. I probably enjoyed your post and would like to come take a look for myself someday.

I know, I know. Very small problem, not really an issue. I agree. It’s just bugged me for a long time so tonight I spoke out. It’s just that this is a very sharing community; please, share your location so we have a general idea of where you are.

Thanks for reading.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Keeth101

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Where a person lives isn't really important because although it's often nice to know, it tells us nothing regarding the what or where regarding the picture.
What we need is just a word or two on every picture about where the beach is, where the place is, what the flower is, what the insect is and who made the original record and ..... etc. etc. etc.
I totally agree, it is so frustrating to look at a great picture .... then wonder what, where, who it is.

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Regular
Where a person lives isn't really important because although it's often nice to know, it tells us nothing regarding the what or where regarding the picture.
What we need is just a word or two on every picture about where the beach is, where the place is, what the flower is, what the insect is and who made the original record and ..... etc. etc. etc.
I totally agree, it is so frustrating to look at a great picture .... then wonder what, where, who it is.

Yes, the location of the image is important. Where the photographer lives is irrelevant.

My residence has nothing to do with where I photograph.

Wouldn't you rather see the location of the image in the image description rather than have to go to the users profile to get information?

Real Name
Roddy
On a different note, I remember years ago when coffee-table books became all the rage, and many of them would be nothing more than page after page of images, often beautiful and entrancing, but where there was NOTHING to indicate where the photograph had been taken, nor what the subject matter was. Occasionally there would be a page of info at the back but, but ...how annoying that was.

On the issue above - I think it's nice to know where people are from. It's nice to know their name too. Pretty sure the only people I talk to in English with any regularity are you guys. :) When you have a good forum, where the atmosphere is amazingly cordial and friendly, than I see nothing wrong with sharing one's name or location. That's my quarter euro worth...

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
On a different note, I remember years ago when coffee-table books became all the rage, and many of them would be nothing more than page after page of images, often beautiful and entrancing, but where there was NOTHING to indicate where the photograph had been taken, nor what the subject matter was. Occasionally there would be a page of info at the back but, but ...how annoying that was.

On the issue above - I think it's nice to know where people are from. It's nice to know their name too. Pretty sure the only people I talk to in English with any regularity are you guys. :) When you have a good forum, where the atmosphere is amazingly cordial and friendly, than I see nothing wrong with sharing one's name or location. That's my quarter euro worth...

Bonne idée Roddy. Montrons à ces Suédois comment c'est fait.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom