It Is Illogical, Even Silly to Preorder A Completely Untested Camera

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by nueces snapper, Feb 10, 2012.

1. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Normally yes. Not THIS time.

The following is an answer I gave in another thread and I thought the topic worth its own thread:

I have an EP3. I am completely satisfied with the IQ and can get along with the ergos. Except with the dial around the 4 way which I find unusable. I am 99% convinced that the IQ with this new camera will be at least as good as my present camera and it has two well placed dials which I greatly prefer. It has more direct control which I prefer. If half of the touted improvements pan out this camera is a significant improvement over my EP3. I'm trusting Oly to not screw the pooch and produce a camera that is a step backward. I have faith in Olympus.

As to why take the illogical ( on the surface ) step of preordering a complete unknown I have what I think is a good reason. This camera is very possibly going to take the m4/3 world by storm. It will be back-ordered for months. Literally. I like it so much from what I have seen that I don't want to wait months. I want it in April and waiting that long will be a pain. And there is the distinct possibility that not only will it storm the m4/3 world but it will draw in a few thousand fence sitters who have been waiting for such a camera to come over to the m4/3 playground. I'm not taking any chances ... other than the minute chance that the camera is a fake and all the info out there is BS. Small chance indeed I think. :smile: :2thumbs:
    • Like Like x 2
  2. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

99% of the time I would never do a pre-order.

If I have the extra cash in hand I think I would on this one. With the exception of not knowing how well it handles video I am totally impressed enough to spend the money{if I had it}.

The only time I ordered as soon as I could was with my iPad , I was the first guy in my town with one , shipped direct from the factory. I do not regret that purchase and I am currently waiting to see what the iPad 3 is going to be.

I will be getting a new m43 camera before June and if I have enough money and they are readily available I will get an OM-D E-M5{unless of coarse testing shows it to be a total flop or there are serious technical problems with it}.
  3. nueces snapper

You bring up the other point why I ain't skeered of this preorder. I don't video. One less concern.
  4. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Actually Olympus occassionally does come out with a new camera that turns out to deliver slightly worse image quality compared to previous versions. Example: The SP800UZ was a downgrade compared to the SP590UZ it replaced. And as Ned has pointed out, the E-520 to E-620 E-series cameras had stronger AA filters, hence less sharp images than the E-510 and earlier E-series. And a lens review site recently found the bulky kit lens that comes with the OM-D is only fairly sharp.

So I personally am going to wait until a couple review sites (e.g. dpreview and cnet) show us an abundance of sample images before I order my OM-D. Meanwhile I am very excited about this camera as it appears to offer everything I have ever wanted in an Olympus camera. So if it delivers the anticipated excellent still and video IQ, I shall definately order mine in April or May.
  5. speedandstyle

I do a lot of video at work but not so much as a hobby. I work at a church and I film a Bible study every week plus other smaller projects. We are currently looking to get 2 Pany AF100s {m43 pro video camera}. Anyway it would be nice to have an extra m43 body that can handle video really well{"B" cam if you will}. It is possible that this new Oly will be a great video cam , just too early to tell.
  6. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    Isn't it likely that dpreview and similar sites get and review the camera before the stores ship them,thus giving us time to cancel our orders if it turns out to be a bomb?which I doubt.
  7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    If you're a long time Olympus user like me, you already know the pros and cons of various Olympus designs and features, and what works for you and what doesn't. The control layout I'm familiar with in the E-3 and E-5. The weather sealing system metal frame I'm familiar with the E-3 and E-5. The viewfinder quality I'm familiar with in the VF-2. The image quality I'm familiar with in the E-PM1 is already very good, and this one is said to be even more detailed - just the way I like it. The new Fn buttons I'm familiar with in the E-P3. The 5-axis Image Stabilizer and 3D FAST AF can only be better than what's already in the PEN series. I see other performance specs which are more in line with what I'm used to in the E-3 and E-5 (ie, 1/250s X-Sync, high shutter count, etc.).

There's very little left to question that I can't tell from experience. This camera puts all the best parts of all my other Olympus cameras together into one, just the way I was hoping for. Even if nothing changes but that, this camera will be perfect for me!

Of course, I didn't pre-order a camera but not because I have any uncertainties about the camera. I'm just in that kind of financial spot right now that I can't. I have enough PEN bodies to tide me over anyways, until I can afford it. xD
    • Like Like x 1
  8. nueces snapper

Ned, Do you know about Bill Me Later? 6 months - no interest. I use em all the time. Gives you plenty of time to sell stuff or raise cash some other way. B & H accepts Bill me Later.

You deserve this camera Ned. :thumbup:
  9. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    But buying a used Panasonic GF1 (and hacking it) would be much cheaper. :biggrin: (although no external mic jack which is a pain unless you are happy to record sound on another device and sync it).
  10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    You just stated why some people pre-order - and it's precisely because they have the extra cash on hand. :wink:
    • Like Like x 1
  11. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Maybe a little risky more so than illogical or silly. I want so much to join in the fun and excitement of pre-ordering an OM-D E-M5, but I've never been an early adopter. I have to wait for reviews, forum disussions, user opinions, sample photos, etc. I have to research everything to death before I buy one. I've owned Olympus OM cameras in the past, and they were among my favorite cameras ever, so I'm confident I'll like this one as much. THIS is the camera I was looking for when I made the jump from 35mm to digital two years ago. I'm thrilled to see this camera, I really hope it lives up to all the hype and expectations...but I'll just wait for everyone else to confirm that before I buy one.
  12. nueces snapper

More than happy to perform that service for you Judy. :thumbup:
  13. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I've been waiting for a mirrorless E-5 for a long time now. I have zero regrets about pre-ordering this.
  14. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    No, I did not know about this! That sounds like a sweet deal... 6 months would be just right for me. I will definitely look into that...

Thanks for the heads up! :thumbup:
  15. nueces snapper

Oh wow. I knew something Ned didn't. Oh wow. :rofl:
  16. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Oh, I'm sure there's a lot of things you know that I don't. xD

Lessee now, for starters... I know nothing about love or relationships, or the proper way to cook seafood. :tongue:

I checked with B&H though, and it seems the Bill Me Later option is only available to US Residents, not Canadian. T_T
  17. nueces snapper

he he he he

What about Sammy's? Bill me later is owned by paypal which is owned by ebay. They can't do biz in Canada?
  18. speedandstyle

GF1? Did you mean GH1? The specs for video on the E-M5 are way better than the GF1. I am not sold on the hacking idea. Although it does jump the performance it has also caused many problems including complete failure. I have considered the idea of a used GH1 or 2. Also prices may drop on the GH2 because of this new threat!?
  19. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    If it's PayPal then I'm sure there must be someone who can do it for Canada! I use PayPal with my Canadian bank account all the time... I will keep searching.
  20. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    No GF1 as they can be picked up so cheap and for the hack - less financial loss if the hack ruins it. :biggrin: I was only half serious though to be honest - not looked at the video specs for the E-M5 yet (or many of the other specs for that matter, as it's way beyond my budget at present). :smile: