It has only been 6 months since I first started shooting models & off camera lights

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by jambaj0e, Jan 11, 2012.

1. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    Wow, I just looked back in my Flickr page and discovered that June 5th, 2011 was the first time I ever did a model shoot and the first time I ever used an off-camera flash. I had very little understanding about how to direct and shoot a person, how to see light, how to use modifiers, and how to properly expose for strobe vs. ambient lighting.

But 6 months of working hard to improve my craft &investing in my education and equipment, I am pretty happy at how far I have come along both in my lighting technique and awareness, as well as my post-processing refinement =D

I say to all photographers, keep on learning and hone in on your craft. The results are very rewarding!! I love progress and I love this forum for the support and collective belief in the power of the micro 4/3 system =D

June 5th, 2011, I started with an Olympus E-PL1 with the kit lens and a Metz 50-AF speedlight with an umbrella:

5820107451_01df7d8117_b.

My latest photoshoot w/ lights was Dec 12, 2011 with a Panasonic GH2, Olympus Zuikoe 4/3 14mm-54mm mkII lens, three Einsteins (key light beauty dish w/ grid, fill light 74" parabolic light modifier, and tree light 10" reflector w/ grid):

6504711651_5181424bd2_b.

My latest natural light photoshoot with the same camera and lens this past weekend, January 7, 2012:

• Like Like x 9
  2. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    I'd love to see how far our members have gone since they first started shooting in a particular genre that they've improved in =)

3. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I've personally think I've gotten worse. Thinking too hard trying to make the right photo.

4. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Wow Joe I thought you've been doing this for much longer! Impressive.
    One thing with the first photo though... I think people whiten the eyes way too much in these kinds of photos, and I pick it up immediately. It looks too unnatural and out of place to me, but I see it everywhere. :frown:

5. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    Thanks! And I totally agree on the white eyes. One of the things I've picked up on post-process retouching is to dial down on the post to make the photo look natural and not clearly digitally retouched. Like the last photo, I erased all sorts of baby hair, clone some marble on the background between the girl and the guy's chin, used selective sharpening, etc.