1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

It has been hot here

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Gillymaru, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

For those of you in the Northern Hemisphere who may be shoveling snow I thought I might let you know that the average maximum temperature for Australia on Monday was 40.33 degrees C (105 degrees F).
    Turns out this is the hottest day in Australia's history. There are many fires burning and many have lost homes and property, I hope all our forum members have not been impacted by fires in their area.

• Like Like x 1
  2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    That's very sad to hear. I hope all of our folks are safe and well. I think I'll stick with the snow. :cool:

3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I did see that in the news. I have a number of friends from this board and other places in Australia. Keep safe and keep cool.

4. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Yeow!

On our television news it was related that Australia meteorologists have had to add more colors to their weather maps to indicate the new temperature marks. I hope you don't have the humidity to match the temperatures (in the U.S. 100 degrees in the Arizona desert feels much different than 100 degrees in Miami Florida!).

Here in Detroit we have an odd January thaw going on, 4.4 C (40 F), headed to 10 C (50F) this weekend. The snow we had on the ground is nearly all melted now. It's not unheard of for a January thaw, but it is somewhat unusual; in a typical year the average daily temps run from a nightly low of -8 C (17 F) to a daytime high of -.5 C (31 F) in January. Our highest recorded January temperature is 17.7 C (64 F), while the lowest recorded temp is -29.4 C (-21 F).

It's so warm here that I may actually get the gear out and make a photograph or two this weekend :thumbup:.

Do be safe!

Regards,

Jim

5. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

Never been in 100f in Florida, but I can tell you 100F in the L.A. area can be a real bitc* specially if you are going to work in slacks and a long sleeve, or exercising because in HS they don't really care too much how bad the weather can be.

Best tip would be ice tea, cold showers, and enjoy the dental floss swimwear.

6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Sorry to here that. We had a tough summer for windstorms here in Virginia, although we did hit 100F a few times. When I lived in Texas we saw 100+ F on a regular basis. That's fine if it's expected and folks prepare accordingly. It's when weather is atypical that it causes problems.

7. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    It hit 42 celcius where I live on Tuesday. Went for a 60km bicycle ride. Most definitely wasn't cold.

Gordon

8. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    We're having a bit of a heatwave here in Key West this week. We're hitting 80F most afternoons, 81F yesterday and it's 79 already at 10am.

After 40+ years in Texas, mostly Dallas where the afternoon norm for 3-4 months in summer was 100-105F, KW's summer highs in the low 90s has been welcome relief and, of course, it never freezes in KW where the record low is 41F.