1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

It has arrived

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by swampduck, May 7, 2013.

1. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    I got my G5 kit and have been playing around with it. I love it so far. Has more of a DSLR feel, albeit smaller, then the Oly did.
    I have one question, the lever by the shutter button, I want it to change shutter or aperture values depending on what mode, S/A, but all it does is do an EV adjustment. Is this by design, or am I doing something wrong?

2. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Hi
    Unfortunately the toggle switch above the shutter can only be set to operate the power zoom or exposure compensation
    It cannot be set for aperture or shutter control
    Regards
    Rob

3. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    I was afraid of that, I even broke out the manual to check

4. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Yeah, as mentioned it's by design. I actually like it now as EV comp. The thumbwheel does the rest. Thumbwheel has push in button to switch modes. Haven't tried to see how programmable it might be.

5. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    I have been messing around with this camera, unfortunately it poured here yesterday so I still haven't had a chance to get out and really use it. I have searched but it doesn't appear to be out there, but does anyone make any kind of extended grip for this camera? I don't mean on the bottom, but for the front grip to make it "fatter" and make the fingers stretch to the buttons a little more? This would make it perfect for me.

One other thing, does anyone make an Arca Swiss style mounting plate for this body? I want to be able to put it down on the table and not worry about it teetering overs as with the plate I have now.

6. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Yes, it's called the GH3... :biggrin:

I find the grip on this nice and certainly better than the G3 which preceded it. I don't have tiny hands, but then again not gorilla hands either.

You may find you adapt to it as time goes by.

7. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    G5

I like the feel and operation of the G5 myself. In some ways more than the OMD. But the thumbwheel is the one thing I do not like. I am used to the push function change thumbwheel from having used a GH2 but on the G5 it is too far forward for me to operate comfortably and it is too sensitive. I find myself often changing EV when what I wanted to do was change aperture. Otherwise, it is a great camera in a nice, small package.

8. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    The lever can be set to aperture but only in Manual mode. In all other modes it's exp comp.

9. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I use the little toggle for EV. I use the thumbwheel for aperture (since I shoot aperture priority mostly). I may be one of the few that likes the toggle, lol.

But I'd take real wheel if it was offered.

10. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    John,
    So the zoom toggle on top can be reassigned to EV? If I do that, does it disable EV on the thumbwheel?

caimi

11. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    Not that I have been able to discern, the thumb wheel if pushed in will control EV

12. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    It is actually the thumb wheel that makes me want the extension. I am sure I will get used to it since I love everything else about the camera so far.

13. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    What he said. Unless you go to manual mode. At that point I believe the thumbwheel toggles between aperture and shutter control.

14. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    It's in the custom settings menu under "Function Lever". There are two settings which are zoom and EV comp.