1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

It has arrived!! (my OM-D first impressions & Q's)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by sprocket87, Jul 18, 2012.

1. sprocket87

sprocket87 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2011
    Placed my order for a black OM-D + 12-50mm kit from Unique Photo yesterday at 12:04 AM (yes, it was a midnight impulse :D) and got it this morning at 10. It was "UPS Second Day Air" shipping but it barely cost more than regular shipping and I got it overnight, so I'm quite pleased!

Anyway, on to my first impressions:

- WOW ITS SO PRETTY
    - Love the build quality and heft
    - The kit lens is gorgeous though more plasticky than I'd hoped. But Olympus is smart for making style a big factor in these new lenses.
    - The lens zoom direction is backwards for me (Nikon guy) but oh well
    - Enabling Macro mode on the kit lens is a pain. It requires two hands (one to hold the Macro button and one to click the zoom ring in), which is annoying IMO
    - I really didn't care for the EVF at first but it quickly grew on me once I got accustomed to it -- especially the instant review. It took a few minutes to get used to not "chimping" on the LCD, but now it's brilliant
    - Live-viewing exposure settings before taking the shot is fantaaaastic
    - Buttons are indeed squishy but don't bother me too much. Worth it for the weather sealing they offer
    - Kit lens is pretty long but also makes the camera look more serious. It's pretty lightweight though.
    - I will DEFINITELY be getting a grip, my big gorilla hands got cramped up after using this thing for 20 minutes
    - Despite all the complaints from others I think the menu system is very well laid out and easy to navigate. Lots of nice little thoughtful touches. Kind of puts my D700 to shame which is saying something!
    - The kit lens' macro is pretty darn great
    - Art modes are implemented way better than I expected. The live view with art filters is soooooo nice!
    - I keep forgetting the touch screen is a touch screen. Wish it was more touch-optimized though, like for actually changing settings.
    - The springy sound the IBIS makes when you set it down on a table or something is scary though I know it's fine

Now a couple Qs:

- I have a red stuck pixel that appears in the same spot both in the EVF and the main LCD. This doesn't make sense to me because those are 2 different displays... and it's not on the actual sensor because the photos don't have it (unless software is removing them.. just thought of that). Is this common and what can I do about it?

- I've had the screen blank out a number of times when navigating the menus, almost as if it timed out but while I was actually interacting with it. If I press Menu again everything works fine but it's just annoying. I'm wondering if the eye sensor is picking up a shadow and engaging the EVF, but I wasn't exactly close to the camera at the time...

- I haven't gotten all the way through the manual yet, but I don't know how to manual focus the kit lens. I assigned MF to my Fn2 button but even when I activate it the front MF ring doesn't do anything on the kit lens

- Also, what does the L-Fn button do on the lens? Is that just another programmable function button? If so... awesome!

- The strap rings it comes with are awful and get in the way of your shooting hand. Alternative suggestions?

Overall, I'm loving this beast. It's going to take some time for my muscle memory to adjust (I've got the D700 and the GF1 down like the back of my hands... this one has more bells and whistles so it'll take longer ;)) but I can tell it will be worth the setup curve.

2. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    Considering the strap. My solution was to let the strap hang to the left side of camera and then take away the right strapholder. I also added a "quick strap solution" so that i can easily remove the camera from the strap.

3. Pinoymaker

Pinoymaker New to Mu-43

Jun 12, 2012
    "- Enabling Macro mode on the kit lens is a pain. It requires two hands (one to hold the Macro button and one to click the zoom ring in), which is annoying IMO"

It can be done with one hand, even while keeping the eyes on the EVF. Use the left thumb to hold the button and the middle finger of the left hand to flick the ring forward or back.

I never bother with the L-Fn but I believe its programmable.
    You could put a wrist strap on the left hand to free the right hand. I don't do it as it feels weird but it can be a solution.
    I never encountered your other questions.

4. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Congratulations on the new camera - glad you are liking it so far!

I am using a streetstrap with my OM-D and then have an o-ring around the lug on the right side. This makes it more comfortable for me, as your finger rests on the ring and you don't feel the lug itself as much. I mean, it's not all day holding comfort, but I think it helps a bit. I am using the o-ring that I ordered with my Gordy's wrist strap, but I am guessing these are fairly easy to find at the hardware store.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/krugorg/7142154833/" title="we're in the club now by krugorg, on Flickr">"800" height="585" alt="we're in the club now"></a>

5. cookme

cookme Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012

I find it more annoying that the two major m43 lens makers have opposite zoom directions... making zooming always a few trial-and-errors after switching lenses. :mad:

Olympus (and Canon) Wide->Tele = counter-clockwise
    Panasonic (and Nikon, Leica, Sony, Sigma, Pentax) Wide->Tele = clockwise

6. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I've been griping for forty years about the fact that my Nikon lenses twist into the mount opposite the way my Leica lenses do. I think it's pretty neat that we've got two great companies delivering excellent optics for the m4/3 cameras! :biggrin:

7. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    Dead pixel on both EVF and LCD is kind of weird. Is it there when you review images too? How about when you're in the menu?

8. sprocket87

sprocket87 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2011
    Thanks for the tip on the macro thing, it seems to be working well enough with sme practice.

Turns out the L-Fn can do all kinds of fun stuff. By default I think it stops autofocusing if you hold it, useful for locking focus during the middle of a video.

9. sprocket87

sprocket87 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2011
    Turns out it was on the sensor after all. I didn't realize it until I zoomed all the way in on a shot and examined carefully. I did the pixel mapping trick in the menu and that took care of it.

10. lggomez

lggomez Mu-43 Regular

The zoom direction can be changed in settings. I think so.

11. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Only on lenses that don't have mechanically-coupled zoom rings. Which are I believe just the Olympus 12-50 and Panasonic 45-175 at present.

DH

12. cookme

cookme Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
    I could only find direction option for focus ring, but not the zoom ring... is it hidden under a different name?

13. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    I just got used to it, also coming from a Nikon system.

Funny thing is to the rest of the camera world the Nikon zoom direction is the wrong direction.