It happened while I was taking a pic!

scb

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Steve
Do you have a funny story about something happening while you were in the throes of taking a picture? Share your story here!

Back in 2009, my wife and I still had a small cottage on Chautauqua Lake in western New York. I used to take some long walks at Long Point State Park. One day, I was walking along a trail when I noticed some fungi on a log alongside the trail. So, I got down on my knees and started working on getting a few shots. As I'm kneeling, it was very quiet and I hadn't really seen many people in the park. All of a sudden, I felt my right ear being licked. I think my first thoughts were "either I'm about to be very lucky....or I'm in real trouble!" Now, I usually carry a monopod, not only for use with the camera, but as a self defense weapon if ever needed. So, with my hand gripping the monopod, ready to defend myself from a ferocious creature about to attack me, I turned my head to confront my attacker. My eyes quickly focused on a medium sized dog that was staring back at me with a look that said "hi...I need some attention!" Then I looked down the path to see the dog's owner approaching and she was calling the dog. We exchanged a few greetings and chuckles before she and her companion continued down the trail while I finished my fungi fun.

I still thing about that incident when I'm taking a hike and down on my knees and oblivious to my surroundings......
Long Point fungi.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

scb

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Steve
At least he gave you a friendly lick, rather than cocking his leg against you. :laugh:
That's a very good point.....and I've never thought of it. Fortunately, he was a really nice dog and just wanted some attention.

I used to also hike at a local state park when we lived in Wilson, NY and that park (Tuscarora State Park) was a popular place for folks to walk their dogs. It usually wasn't a problem, but quite a few people would remove their leash and the dogs would run ahead of them. Every now and then, I'd have a dog or dogs headed towards me and sometimes I wasn't so sure they were going to be as friendly as their owners thought they would be. I'm reminded of my wife's father who said to someone that told him "don't worry, the dog doesn't bite". He responded: "But does the dog know that??"

Real Name
Walter
That's a very good point.....and I've never thought of it. Fortunately, he was a really nice dog and just wanted some attention.

I used to also hike at a local state park when we lived in Wilson, NY and that park (Tuscarora State Park) was a popular place for folks to walk their dogs. It usually wasn't a problem, but quite a few people would remove their leash and the dogs would run ahead of them. Every now and then, I'd have a dog or dogs headed towards me and sometimes I wasn't so sure they were going to be as friendly as their owners thought they would be. I'm reminded of my wife's father who said to someone that told him "don't worry, the dog doesn't bite". He responded: "But does the dog know that??"
Hahaha... that reminds me of the classic joke in one of Peter Seller's Inspector Clouseau films, I think the last one he made. He walks into an inn. A dog is sitting on the floor next to the inn clerk. Clouseau asks him, does your dog bite? The clerk responds, No. Then Clouseau reaches out to pet the dog and it bites him. Clouseau stares at the clerk, I thought you said your dog doesn't bite? The clerk responds, that is not my dog. :)

Here's the clip, to substitute for my poor retelling.

Last edited:

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Veteran
I can't think of any.
I carefully check my footing anytime I stop to take a picture, and I do a 360 scan to be alert for anything behind me - including any other hikers that I could be obstructing.

I also keep both eyes open when I shoot. That's especially useful when using a rangefinder-type of camera.

This has served me well when shooting for pay and for play.

I had some interesting incidents when hiking, including
witnessing a massive redwood tree falling in a storm. You don't forget something like that.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
June 2014. We were visiting our daughter at school in CA and took her on a whale watching trip. At the time I was using a Kodak 612 bridge camera. We got lucky and found ourselves in the middle of about 30 humpbacks, hundreds of sea lions, and thousands of porpoises all feeding on a ball of baitfish. I was trying very hard to get a good whale tale shot but, it was tough with the 612. Between the slow focus, zoom, and the the delay after pressing the shutter button I was always late. I started to plan ahead, shooting earlier to catch the right moment. As I concentrated more on getting the shot I paid less attention to what was going on around me. Leaning out over the rail to try and square up, I never noticed the whale that surfaced right next to me until it cleared its blow hole. Any idea how loud those things are? I jumped a mile, but I got the shot. I was spared most of the whale snot, just a few sprinkles!

tail_01net by telecast, on Flickr

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
Nothing funny that I can remember from from my end. I have had a few close shaves though. One was captured on film in the Amazon with me holding a lifeless poionous snake taller than me in my hand afterwards. I was about 8 then. I did post the picture on forums in the past, but consider it to be of questionable taste now.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom