It Done Got Here!!!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by slothead, Aug 16, 2012.

1. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I am ecstatic! The Brown Truck left the Oly OM-D E-M5 and the 20/1.7 lens on the front porch (without asking for a sig!!!), and fortunately my dogs were on top of the sichyashun and warned me of the discrepancy.

It is considerably smaller than I expected! (yes that is correct I ordered this puppy sight unseen - well that ain't completely true, but since I had seen one - owned by a friend - I had forgotten how small it really was). Apparently the video reviews I have seen were made by some guys with teeny tiny hands because I really thought it would be bigger. But that's a ++++! I remembered my Oly OM back in the mid-70s and that wasn't a very small camera by today's standards. This one is GREAT!!!

Now I am wondering how long it will take my battery to charge (surely not the 4 hrs cited by the manual), but perhaps long enough for me to order a spare battery, and a RRS grip, and a Nikon lens adapter, and ... let's see what else? Anyway...

Here are some questions for y'all:

- What kind of "bag" do y'all use (I've got the 12-42, the 20/1.7 and a 100-300 on the way)? and
    - What kind of speed do I need (MB/Sec) on an SD to support the best 9fps and buffer unloading to keep me from gettin' bored and fallin' asleep?
    - Does GGS or Giottos (or anyone else authentic) make a screen protector for this little guy?

That's enough for now. I'm happier than a pig in s&%t!!! :smile:

... Edit ...

Here's a strange one: B&H are out of stock on the BLN-1 battery (1220 mah), and so is Amazon, BUT Amazon has a kit (for $19.95) that supposedly contains a BLN-1 (spec'd at 1500 mah), pocket charger, screen protector (and I don't know what else... How is this possible???
  2. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I hate ups

typed on my phone, sorry.
  3. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    I use the Domke F-803 waxwear bag. Works great for carrying everything.

Use Sandisk Extreme 30mb/sec cards. No complaints.

I don't have any feedback on screen protectors.
  4. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    The Olympus OEM batteries have been out of stock just about everywhere since the OM-D was released. In fact, I'm not sure I've heard of anyone who's seen an OEM battery available for purchase in the wild.

I assume the $19.95 kit is a non-OEM item?

As far as memory cards, I just got one of the SanDisk Extreme Pro (95MB/sec) cards and can say that the performance is definitely faster than any other card I've used (with my E-PL1). I don't have an metrics, but I can say that it dumps the buffer more quickly than my SanDisk Extreme (30MB/sec) card. A 16MB Extreme Pro was around $40.
  5. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    I use that card as well. Very quick buffer unloading compared to Extreme. I think it's worth the money if you're taking advantage of burst FR.

Bag-wise I like the domke mentioned also. I personally use the Thinktank Retrospective 5. I can fit EM-5/GX1, 14/25/45/7-14 and a minolta in the front if I want. For a small bag its well built, discreet, and can hold all I need for just about anything easily.

Also I ordered a three generic battery set from ebay I was pleased to find out they fit in the grip also. They work really well for me and are $10 a piece!
  6. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    My 2 cent answers

I'm still searching for the 'perfect' bag, but I currently have my gear (OM-D, grip, Panny 20mm, Oly 12-50, Panny 45-200, kit flash and FL-300 flash) in an "official" Olympus bag. Domke bags seem to get a lot of votes. There's a thread on bags here:

and a review I did of the Olympus bag here:

I'm using a SanDisk Extreme 32 GB SDHC Class 10 UHS-1 that I got from Amazon for about $30 U.S. Seems to do the trick, although I haven't put the OM-D into "rock 'n roll" mode and let it rip until the shutter fell out :biggrin:.

I'm using a "Pro Guard" protector from Amazon, about $16. Comes with micro fiber cloth and two protectors. So far, so good, no complaints. Easy on, easy off. Micro Solution Digital Camera Anti-Reflection Anti-Fingerprint HD Display Protection Film for Olympus OM-D E-M5: Camera & Photo

I purchased a couple of third party Wasabi batteries from Blue Nook (through Amazon), comes with a charger with flip-down plug and a car charger. $27 U.S. for the complete kit. The charger will also charge the Olympus OEM battery. So far, so good, no complaints (although the first charger I got was defective, Blue Nook was outstanding in rushing a replacement). Wasabi Power Battery and Charger Kit for Olympus BLN-1, BCN-1 and Olympus OM-D EM-5: Camera & Photo

Some prefer the OEM batteries, hoping that their quality control is better than third party suppliers and that camera damage is less likely to occur. I've never had a problem with third party batteries, but your mileage may vary. Assuming they don't go all nuclear and explode in the camera grip, the cost savings over OEM batteries means that one can have multiple spares without mortgaging the farm. The Wasabi batteries fit well in either the grip or the body, of course.

Congratulations on the new gear!

7. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    I have a Billingham Hadley Small, which holds my OM-D E-M5 in the middle, usually with the 9-18 with hood on, the P20 below. On the left below I have the little flash, spare battery (no-name with charger) and spare cards, with the O45 with hood above. On the right is the O45-150 with hood. The two outer pockets have a lens pen, microcloths, a Manfrotto table-top tripod with Novoflex ball-head, sunglasses and odds and ends. Still amazingly light and practical. Not cheap, but very satisfying.

I use Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 cards: very fast.
  8. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I bought one from H&B Digital within the last week or two. I think it was $50. I've heard **********NY has had them as well. I'm not sure if anyone has them in stock at the moment, but they're finally trickling out there.

9. fljoe

fljoe Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I use

Lowepro Event Messenger 250 as everyday bag with camera, pens, notebooks, etc.

Trascend 16gb SDHC cards 20mb read / 17mb write on my OMD

ACMAXX Lcd Protector for the OMD that keeps the touchscreen options.
  11. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
  12. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Lotso feedback! Thanks loads guys. I'll need to check out Domke F803 and the Lowepro Event Messenger 250. I think I have 95MBS Sandisk Extreme Pro SDs for my Nikon D800. That $20 thing (I assume it as a risk) has to be a third party, but the ad said nothing about it and called it specifically a "ZIP OLYMPUS BLN-1", but then it said it was a 1500 mAh batt (and the BLN-1 is a 1220 mAh batt), so I don't know what to believe - except that $20 isn't too much of a loss. When I looked at B&H they said it was temporarily out of stock.
  13. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I use a wrist strap and the lens pouch from a 70-300 to hold batteries and iPad card reader. Lol. Done!

- Eliot@Austin, TX