It all in the perspective

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Kiwi Paul, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    Here's a few shots taken recently, all perspective shots I guess, comment welcome.

All with G3, and Oly m9-18 and Lumix m25 lenses.

Paul

P1020844.

P1020865.

P1020922.

P1020985.

P1020980.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

I like them all but the last to me is the best!!

3. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England
    I especially liked #3, where the tranquility of the still water to the mid-left contrasts with the frothing energy of the water as it passes to the mid-right and foreground. A lovely capture.

What shutter speed did you use?

4. Kiwi Paul

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    1/500 f4.5, and with the m14-150 I just realized (that lens performs very well at wide angle an impressive lens considering the focal range it covers) yes it came out well typically shots like that are taken with slow shutter speeds on a tripod but this was hand held, thanks for the comment :)

Paul

5. fgbrault

fgbrault Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    I love them all. They all use the same perspective with something in the foreground to catch your eye, sharp from foreground to background and a wonderful sense of depth. I like the 3rd and last the best. The 3rd has gorgeous deep colors and an exquisite reflection and a marvelous juxtaposition of the smooth glassy water with the roiling. The last has both a feeling of tranquility and barrenness, humanized by the person fishing in the background.

6. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    I wish I could add something new, but when I saw three I knew I had to say something. What a great photo!

7. Kiwi Paul

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    Thanks for all the comments, glad you all liked them :)

Paul

8. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    sorry paul

these don't work for me at all

everything too high or too centred... no flow through the picture

nicely observed subjects... just not well executed on the composition front

1) get lower... go for big sky small beach big, rocks

2) move left, get lower and make the horizontal bit of iron point somewhere

3) show where the river has come from or where its going

4) get closer to the rock real close...its intersting.. the bridge isn't

5) get lower

hey you asked for comments!!!

anyway i am much happier when people post actual photos as opposed to quibbling whether the latest camera will make them a better photographer

cheers
    K

• Like Like x 1
  9. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Paul-I really like the third image---nice job with the reflections and the frothing water.

10. Kiwi Paul

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    Thanks for your comments, I don't agree with getting much lower, it would have a tendency to flatten the image and put too much emphasis on the foreground, the compositions aren't perfect but it's always easy in hindsite, you also have to consider that when you are there access is limited and some of those shots are taken from the only vantage point. I've taken many shots of the same scenes over the years and these are just an alternate view, here's a more 'traditional' shot of the falls.

Cheers,

Paul

P1020928.