1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Istanbul Street Candids - C&C welcome

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by greg57, Feb 25, 2013.

1. greg57

greg57 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 6, 2010
    Istanbul
    Gregory Dziedzic
    istanbulcandids-8314.
    Dear all,

I have been shooting street candids in Istanbul for the last 3 years, mostly with a GF1, but obviously more and more with my new E-M5 and to a lesser extent with a Pentax K-5 as well. I have recently gathered the best shots in my new blog istanbulcandids.com and I'll be happy to get your feedback on it :)

All the best

• Like Like x 6
  2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Greg,
    I spent a good amount of time viewing your photos. The first thing that pops in my mind is the control your forcing upon the viewer by using a title on each photo. It's your work and you can do as you please but you also have a responsibility to the image and the viewer to let them each share the act of discovery.

To simplify, the titles force upon the viewer a preconception that does not allow the viewer to get immersed in the image. It makes the viewer search out the meaning of the title and not the meaning the image would allow the viewer to discover without the title.

bluezdon19111@yahoo.com if you'd like to get deeper into the work in private.

don

3. Jon MS3

Jon MS3 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2013
    ^ I am inclined to agree. I have never been a fan of titles for photos, especially street shots.

4. greg57

greg57 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 6, 2010
    Istanbul
    Gregory Dziedzic
    Hmmm... not the first time I hear it. You're right. Actually my only goal when putting titles was to be able to reference to them easily but it looks like it spoils part of the viewing experience. I think I'll get rid of them...

5. greg57

greg57 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 6, 2010
    Istanbul
    Gregory Dziedzic
    I've erased the titles.

Thanks for the userful feedback guys :)

6. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Greg,
    Try something like these for titles....
    Date
    File #

I'm sure you get the idea...
    Just suggestions not laws....
    Don

7. pointbob

pointbob Mu-43 Regular

Aug 2, 2012
    Greg, i really like the b/w treatment you give the pics. Can you share your approach to that. Oh and by the way, I know Vlad Dziedzic from belgrade - are you Serb as well?

8. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    I'm not a big fan of street photography. But the apparent closeness you use to capture your subjects really humanizes the photos. I find your photos very enjoyable and the titles don't distract for me.

9. greg57

greg57 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 6, 2010
    Istanbul
    Gregory Dziedzic
    Hi Bob. Thank you :)
    What I do is that I start with the B&W Lightroom present aspect #3 and then I boost contrast and correct the exposure (avoiding clippings). Always working with the histogram of course.
    Then i try to spread the tonal range by boosting the whites and the dark tones and turning down the blacks and the light tones - or whatever is indeed necessary depending on your picture but i fond this to work quite often. Anyway you should always keep an eye on the histogram while you pull it and stretch it in order to get a well toned, highly contrasted picture while limiting, but definitly not eliminating, burnt or black areas. Then I also boost clarity, use Lightroom wonderful denoiser above, say, 1000 iso or so (between 15 and 25 for luminance, 45 and 60 for chroma). The added grain film is part of the Lightroom preset and i generally don't touch it. And then sometimes I don't hesitate to give it a bit of vignetting if I feel it has this nostalgic atmosphere...
    I know I should be using Nik software's Silver Effects - I've actually bought the full suite - but somehow I can't be arsed doing it just yet :p
    Hope that helped :)

10. istanbul007

istanbul007 New to Mu-43

Nov 25, 2012
    Istanbul
    Hello Greg,
    Great stuff! I just joined the forum.

Allen

11. greg57

greg57 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 6, 2010
    Istanbul