1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Istanbul B&W street portraits

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by greg57, Sep 21, 2010.

1. greg57

greg57 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 6, 2010
    Istanbul
    Gregory Dziedzic
    Hi,

just posted my first pictures on this site in the Street Work gallery :)
    Doesn't seem so busy there though, should I post them somewhere else?

These pictures have been taken in the streets of Istanbul, mainly in the city centre, with my GF1 plus 20mm lens. I (obviously) like B&W candid portrait in urban settings, be it clean or dirty (the approach to the subject as well as the resulting grain, sharpness or absence thereof...).

P1010997.

P10107511.

P1010682.

P1040202.

P1010699.

• Like Like x 1
  2. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Everyone has a worried look - I'm sure there are some happy people too but these make for more interesting photos.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Great B&W series. As Bill said before it seems like everyone worries.
    A great approach of "worried" people, nicely captured, thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  4. greg57

greg57 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 6, 2010
    Istanbul
    Gregory Dziedzic
    Thank you for your comments :)
    These are interesting remarks I have to say, especially inasmuch as this is probably not coincidental nor is it because people in the streets in Istanbul don't smile (although life is quite stressful and tomorrows uncertain here, but then again I guess not more than in any other overcrowded jungle like world metropolis...). I have always been fascinated by dark urban settings and I think that this is expressed in my "instant declic" - ie this alchemical mental process that goes inbetween the eye that sees and the finger that presses the shutter button...
    Plus I think people smile far less in reality, when walking the streets, than they do in, say, a party, a family meeting or obviously if they know you are taking their picture. People walking in the streets are like drivers in their cars maybe... lost in their world, cosy (I didn't say "locked", but I was about to) in their bubble, dropping the mask of self representation (I recently took pictures of a metal band in concert , but it is so boring: gestures and facial expressions are so coded, so stereotyped...).

Tanks again :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I really like the first and third images a lot, probably the first most of all. Nice composition and I like all of the darkness in that shot's background.

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  6. greg57

greg57 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 6, 2010
    Istanbul
    Gregory Dziedzic
    And you know what ?

I was about to dismiss it for being too fuzzy etc :rolleyes: But getting back to it a few days after, it did strike me too :smile:

7. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Greg they all look like baddies off James bond filems.
    Number 2 : didn't he have a chateau and an evil plan? Yes he did.

8. daimos

daimos Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 23, 2010
    Ottawa,Ontario,Canada
    richard
    photoshop that with some cat pics in here and you have a movie poster.
    :biggrin: